• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey y’all I’m new and have a question

Bearded love

Bearded Dragon Egg
My father in law had two beardies. Male and female. She was gravid when he came out here.
pops had an emergency back home and had to leave suddenly and was woreied about her laying
mid drive. So he left me here. I don’t know what I’m doing. And spent hours doing research. She’s laid her eggs and was touch and go that night but over the phone with a vet I was able to perform cpr and bring her back. She’sdoing great now. My question is about the male though. I have noticed that his beard is ALWAYS black. I have attached a video so you can see his behavior. Everything I’ve read says that black is a bad thing. Is he unhappy here? Am I doing something wrong. Ahh help. I love animals and worry about my pets

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My father in law had two beardies. Male and female. She was gravid when he came out here.
pops had an emergency back home and had to leave suddenly and was woreied about her laying
mid drive. So he left me here. I don’t know what I’m doing. And spent hours doing research. She’s laid her eggs and was touch and go that night but over the phone with a vet I was able to perform cpr and bring her back. She’sdoing great now. My question is about the male though. I have noticed that his beard is ALWAYS black. I have attached a video so you can see his behavior. Everything I’ve read says that black is a bad thing. Is he unhappy here? Am I doing something wrong. Ahh help. I love animals and worry about my pets
He is either in distress or pain -- can he see the female --- please tell me what his set up is for a UVB NO coils and basking temps what are they and how are they being taken ? NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- are there any colored bulbs in the tank ?

Bearded love

Bearded Dragon Egg
He had them in a 40gal tank so I bought a new one. They have 3 hides a 160watt self ballasted mercury vapor UVB lamp. Their hottest basking point is 103 their main area is 90 and the coolest area is 78 in the cave. I had them separated for a couple days after she delivered. But they are back together. My father in law always had them together and Elliot the beardie always had a black heirs ever since he brought them out a month ago.
there were a lot of things I realized after doing research that my FIL was doing wrong/incorrect/or controversies about. As before they slept on a heating pad in his bed every night covered up. And was mostlymeal Worms and spinach.
his beard is ALWAYS black and I’ve noticed himhumping his rocks....and I mean with WVERYTHING hangin out.
I just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing by them
Thank you Sadie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

Bearded love

Bearded Dragon Egg
He is either in distress or pain -- can he see the female --- please tell me what his set up is for a UVB NO coils and basking temps what are they and how are they being taken ? NO stick ons they are inaccurate --- are there any colored bulbs in the tank ?
Oh I forgot to mention. I take the temps with a laser non contact temperature gun

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He had them in a 40gal tank so I bought a new one. They have 3 hides a 160watt self ballasted mercury vapor UVB lamp. Their hottest basking point is 103 their main area is 90 and the coolest area is 78 in the cave. I had them separated for a couple days after she delivered. But they are back together. My father in law always had them together and Elliot the beardie always had a black heirs ever since he brought them out a month ago.
there were a lot of things I realized after doing research that my FIL was doing wrong/incorrect/or controversies about. As before they slept on a heating pad in his bed every night covered up. And was mostlymeal Worms and spinach.
his beard is ALWAYS black and I’ve noticed himhumping his rocks....and I mean with WVERYTHING hangin out.
I just want to make sure I’m doing the right thing by them
Thank you Sadie
Dragons should never be kept together -- EVER unless you are in the breeding business --- where is the female now ? They should not be together --- hes in distress and should be in his own tank w/ his own lights ---- one of them is the dominant one and I am guessing its the female --- Please get them separated w/ their own lights and basking lights - how old is the PowerSun ? Please get rid of the black light --- colored bulbs hurt their eyes and can cause long term eye damage -- dragons need dark and cool to sleep --- temps in the tank at nite can be 65 up to the 70's --- nothing higher than 80- 80is good for daytime cool side of the tank --- there are a million reasons why his beard is black and we need to narrow it down that its external and not internal meaning illness going on ------------ Please no more spinach --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html please get them over on a good diet and you need to be feeding the female extra calcium --- dust the insects please --- what is the staple insect? NO meal worms they need dubias I recommend those crickets or silk worms --

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The PowerSun distance is how far from the basking decor ? If its a year old its needs to be replaced

Bearded love

Bearded Dragon Egg
Dragons should never be kept together -- EVER unless you are in the breeding business --- where is the female now ? They should not be together --- hes in distress and should be in his own tank w/ his own lights ---- one of them is the dominant one and I am guessing its the female --- Please get them separated w/ their own lights and basking lights - how old is the PowerSun ? Please get rid of the black light --- colored bulbs hurt their eyes and can cause long term eye damage -- dragons need dark and cool to sleep --- temps in the tank at nite can be 65 up to the 70's --- nothing higher than 80- 80is good for daytime cool side of the tank --- there are a million reasons why his beard is black and we need to narrow it down that its external and not internal meaning illness going on ------------ Please no more spinach --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html please get them over on a good diet and you need to be feeding the female extra calcium --- dust the insects please --- what is the staple insect? NO meal worms they need dubias I recommend those crickets or silk worms --
Yeah that’s what I have been reading too . That they need to be separated. My father in law swears they can’t be without each other because they grew up like this. Everything I have for them in new including the light. I will take the blue one out. I always turn the light off at night and just left the moon one on but I will stop that. I have switched their diet to have greens and apples Dubia roaches and I dust them with vitamins once a week

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 23

Bearded love

Bearded Dragon Egg
Brand new bulb and it’s about 10 in or so. But again his beard has been like this even before all the changes I made to their living conditions
The PowerSun distance is how far from the basking decor ? If its a year old its needs to be replaced
and it’s about 10in

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Brand new bulb and it’s about 10 in or so. But again his beard has been like this even before all the changes I made to their living conditions

and it’s about 10in
Ok so I would get him out set him up in his own tank -- shes putting him in distress and get him out of sight from her-- different room -- not facing each other ---- the distance can be 10-16 inches from basking decor --- you need to try getting him separated and get the lighting situated -- its going to be process of elimination w/ him--- but you need his beard to go back to normal color a constant black beard is NOT healthy ---- the vitamins are good -- the pellets not so much --apples occasionally--- please look at the website I posted for nutrition -- the female needs calcium now -- what did you do w/ the eggs?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok so I would get him out set him up in his own tank -- shes putting him in distress and get him out of sight from her-- different room -- not facing each other ---- the distance can be 10-16 inches from basking decor --- you need to try getting him separated and get the lighting situated -- its going to be process of elimination w/ him--- but you need his beard to go back to normal color a constant black beard is NOT healthy ---- the vitamins are good -- the pellets not so much --apples occasionally--- please look at the website I posted for nutrition -- the female needs calcium now -- what did you do w/ the eggs?
What size tanks do you have now -- a 40 gallon tank for 2 full size dragons is not big enough for one let alone 2

Bearded love

Bearded Dragon Egg

and it’s about 10in
What size tanks do you have now -- a 40 gallon tank for 2 full size dragons is not big enough for one let alone 2
it was my father in lay that had them in a 40gal. I switched it to a 60. But separating them won’t be too hard. I have two of everything so I can do it right away. The eggs I put in a incubator temp at 84 and humidity is around 65-75

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
it was my father in lay that had them in a 40gal. I switched it to a 60. But separating them won’t be too hard. I have two of everything so I can do it right away. The eggs I put in a incubator temp at 84 and humidity is around 65-75
Ok I know nothing about eggs etc--

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardies are not social animals. They do not get lonely after being separated from the beardies they barely tolerate living with. Even breeding pairs don't stick together. There's a reason siblings must be separated after a few months. If the beardies get hungry, they'll bite digits off. If they are separated, they won't be depressed. They will be relieved and feel safer.

Just because they haven't mutilated each other yet doesn't mean they're friends. It's very stressful for both of them, and a 40gal is too small for one beardie, let alone 2.

Provide the female with a dig box and let her do her business. You can find tutorials for this online.
Assuming the eggs are fertilized, you'll need to carefully excavate them (with a spoon or something) after the female lays them and put them in an incubator. I'm not sure what you should do in your situation, since your FIL seems incompetent to take care of one beardie, let alone dozens of high-maintenance babies. Sadly, it may be best to freeze the eggs.Freeze them as soon as possible so that you don't have to deal with the thought of freezing developed babies. Put them in a plastic grocery bag and pop it in the freezer for a couple of hours.
Beardies can lay multiple clutches from one breeding, so you may have to repeat this step multiple times.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi....after a female lays eggs shes depleted of calcium & will eat like crazy for 2weeks feed her lots of large crickets if she’s an adult and lots of Dubia roaches sprinkled with extra REPCAL calcium powder and Herptivite sprinkle lots on top of the crickets and shake the ziplock bag and feed her and give her 2 Fresh plates of greens amd veggies; only best ones are mustard greens, collard greens, endives, yellow squash, snap peas and butternut squash; cut them up the size of any food should never be bigger than the space between their two eyes. And give fresh water to drink u need to buy Reptisafe and place a few drops for every cup, to kill the chlorine in all drinking and bathing water Also, lots of baths soak her in luke warm water for 15min or more rite after laying or the next day amd 3-4times a week & do not get water in her ears so water level should way below her neck. Also u cannot house 2beatdies in the same enclosure remove one ASAP and place in it’s one tank! One will suffer and eventually die do not let them see each other either. A black beard means severe stress amd super scared!! Also u need a clear Zoomed basking bulb for heat and a Reptisun 10.0 T5 long tubular bulb for UVb the length should cover 70 percent of the tank starting at the hot side and basking bulb place more to the front on hot side.

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Definitely up her calcium while she's carrying the eggs, she will put most of her body stores into the eggs and will need special during and after the pregnancy.

MerithD

Bearded Dragon Egg
Kudos to you for doing your research and getting them what they need to be healthy and happy. I want to throw this in though every dragon is different and some will get a black beard for a month or so in reaction to any change (even a good change) Bless you for making such a positive change for these beautiful creatures. You have definitely come to a good place for advice (and kudos to the replies above for sharing such great info!)