• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hey everyone new bearded dragon owner.

Kyzer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone new to the forum and this is my second go around as an owner. We bought our first little guy in September from PetSmart and even though I didn't no much about beardies something always seemed off, he would only eat 3 to 10 crickets a day long story short after having Leo 2.5 months we had to get him euthanized The vet suspected atadeno virus.

We went to a breeder this time and got a healthy 13 week old baby boy his names Yoshi

He's a leather back with a cool tiger pattern
IMG_20201205_132035.jpg
IMG_20201203_183414.jpg
received_685701085643395.jpeg
IMG_20201205_132035.jpg
IMG_20201203_183414.jpg
received_685701085643395.jpeg

Penelope

Hatchling Dragon
Hi Yoshi! He looks so happy! I'm new to bearded dragon ownership myself and it's amazing how quick they become part of the family. They're pretty special. I'm so sorry for your loss of your first beardie... Question for you: How do you keep the humidity down? Trying to find ways to get it below 40% for my little guy.

Bluesky1019

Juvenile Dragon
Hi Yoshi! He looks so happy! I'm new to bearded dragon ownership myself and it's amazing how quick they become part of the family. They're pretty special. I'm so sorry for your loss of your first beardie... Question for you: How do you keep the humidity down? Trying to find ways to get it below 40% for my little guy.
Same here my tank always seems to be high in humidity even after I get rid of water from the tank

Kyzer

Bearded Dragon Egg

I think alot of it depends where you live where in Toronto, Canada and its pretty cool right now, it's funny cuz we fight to keep humidity up alot of the time. Do you keep a water dish in your tank? I no that raises humidity, maybe you need better air circulation in your tank.

Right now we only have Yoshi in a 18x18x18, I'm in the process of building him a 4x2x2 enclosure out of melamine though as the breeder said he will most certainly need a new tank by February.

What's your tank size, and temps like?

Penelope

Hatchling Dragon
Oh that makes sense! No water dish in his tank any more after I learned not to do that. Our little guy StripeSpot is about 2-3 months old (he's ~8" long from nose to tail tip)... he's in a 20 gallon at the moment, with basking temp of 100-105 and the other side of the tank is between 75-80. Measuring with crummy little digital thermometers so I ordered a better probe thermometer to get a better read. He likes to bask in his hammock with his lil mouth open :) I'll look into the better air circulation that's a good idea! thank you!

Kyzer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea the probes are much better you can put it right on his basking spot and get the temps spot on, I only had the stick ons as well and someone told me get a hygrometer asap, good thing I did because his basking spot was to hot going up to 113 so I switched out the 100w for a 75 w and was able to get it down to 103-105. How's stripe spot eating?

Penelope

Hatchling Dragon
Nice work fixing the temp! My probe thermometer arrives Dec 18 so hopefully that'll help. StripeSpot eats like a crazy lizard! 4x a day, he'll eat 10-15 quarter-inch Dubia roaches and 2x a day he'll snack on his organic endive/dandelion/collard green salad. He went on a 12-hour hunger strike when I switched his repticarpet for newspaper but other than that great appetite. He Is Spoiled! Grown at LEAST 2.5" in the last 3 weeks. How's Yoshi's appetite? What do you find best as far as bugs, for variety? I worry about crickets for parasites etc... Too paranoid?

Kyzer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well In Canada dubia are illegal, so crickets is the easiest option, our breeder gave us a care package she recommended alternating between crickets and Bsfl, so I ordered a bunch of bsfl online because their hard to find in pet stores and really expensive when you do. Our breeder recommended I feed Yoshi 3/8 crickets so I ordered a bunch of them but their way smaller then the pet stores small selection, they are the actual size they should be though. At the pet store you ask for small and you end up with 1/2 or 3/4 it seems it's never consistent.

He won't go after the 3/8 their to fast and he gives up lol , he will eat about 10/15 1/2 ones per feeding, and about 25 to 30 bsfl per feeding. His salad he won't really touch unless I hand feed, which is weird because I no he was already trained in his greens. Poor guy is still super stressed though he's had stress marks pretty much from an hr after we brought him home, it will be two weeks Thursday since we've had him so I hope his stress levels go down. He also hates Baths it seems

Penelope

Hatchling Dragon
Aw! Well I've heard they can take time to acclimate. He knows he's loved. StripeSpot wouldn't eat greens unless I hand-fed for a long time too. Yoshi'll get it :) I leave them on his basking spot and they get crispy, that's his fave. He's a weirdo. I didn't know Dubia are illegal in Canada that's wild!

Kyzer

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yea the funny thing is I found them on our version of craigslist called Kijiji, the person selling them lived in a very ghetto government housing building, made me wonder if he just found a bunch of Roaches in his cupboards and began breeding them , yea it sucks about not being able to get them but Ive read that between dubia and Bsfl its a toss up on what's a better staple feeder nutrition wise. Yea Yoshi's loved and spoiled I'm sure it's the same for you and stripespot. Their awesome little creatures aren't they!

Penelope

Hatchling Dragon
For sure :) He was a Christmas gift (early) for my 10-year-old - hence the funny name - and all my boys and I are just over the moon with him. They're something super special.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hey everyone new to the forum and this is my second go around as an owner. We bought our first little guy in September from PetSmart and even though I didn't no much about beardies something always seemed off, he would only eat 3 to 10 crickets a day long story short after having Leo 2.5 months we had to get him euthanized The vet suspected atadeno virus.

We went to a breeder this time and got a healthy 13 week old baby boy his names Yoshi

He's a leather back with a cool tiger pattern View attachment 24664View attachment 24665View attachment 24666View attachment 24664View attachment 24665View attachment 24666
Gorgeous markings! Looks quite happy and healthy.

I have issues with humidity during the spring and summer months. I ended up getting a small dehumidifier and setting it near his tank. I also filled a few small socks with rice and hid them around his tank. I put longer ones along the wall on the top back edge of his tank. I don’t keep a water bowl in his tank which helps. As he gets his hydration from his veges and bugs, Dex only has a very small water bowl that I’ll refresh and put in his tank for a bit in the morning and a bit in the afternoon. He enjoys misting, but I remove him from his tank to mist. Even doing all this it still stays borderline high throughout certain times. So far, he hasn’t had any side effects, but it’s a constant worry. Right now with winter upon us (wood furnace is going nonstop) his humidity is down and normal. Phew!