• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with sick dragon (foam at corners of mouth)

stinax182

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My noticed my bearded dragon was not feeling well Saturday.
- lethargic
- not drinking/eating
- repeated swallowing(like when we have a sore throat)
- white foam at corners of mouth (only one day)
- tongue sticking out a tiny bit (not the normal temp regulating)
- pale/white tongue and mouth
- pale coloring (he’s orange)

So I brought him to my reptile vet Thursday. He thinks it’s an infection in his mouth. So he gave him liquids intravenously and prescribed 7 antibiotic injections, daily baths and critical care + carnivore care supplemental food.

So he’s had the intravenous liquids, 2 baths and 6cc of the critical/carnivore mix. (I use a 6cc syringe with 2” of rubber tubing at the end and I put it to the back of his throat not just on his tongue) He’s still the same, I’d say.

But right now his mouth his foaming again. I would give him a little more food but I don’t know if i should with the foam.

Does anyone know the cause of the foam? When I opened his mouth it felt sticky....like when we have cotton mouth.
Could it be the dehydration causing it?
Could I have gotten the food down the wrong place when I gave it to him?
Should I still feed him?

Thank you.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like your dragon may have an upper respiratory issue..Your vet didn't say anything about it being URI? If it's a resp issue giving that many baths could increase the intensity of the infection..why are you giving them that often? if it's for hydration purposes and he is drinking from the bath then that's 1 thing but if he's not drinking the water via his mouth I would cut those back.. (they do not absorb any thru their vent)
I would be concerned of him aspirating fluid if your putting it that far back in his throat instead of him licking it off himself, unless your getting the tube into his stomach..
What you are describing sounds to me Upper Resp Issue and I would not force feed..Have you contacted your exotic vet about his condition?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree, it sounds like an upper respiratory infection.