• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help with Bonding?

Versiian

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I recently purchased a bearded dragon from a pet store in May of 2018. He was tiny but seems to be full grown, I’m unsure of his age. I’m assuming so since he definitely isn’t shedding as much as he used to. And I made the mistake of not handling him much when he was younger. He was naturally skittish and I didn’t want to scare him with the handling.

Now that he’s much larger, I wanted to take him out and let him explore. I really want to put him on a leash and let him explore the outdoors when the weather is nice enough. Sadly, he doesn’t really seem to like anything that I do. I’ll take him out for a few minutes, and put him back every couple days. But it isn’t as easy or calm as it sounds.

Picking him up makes him a little skittish. I scoop my hands under him and make sure everything is supported. I have small hands and he’s large so it’s a bit tough to do comfortably. When he’s out and about he seems to be enjoying himself. He’s calm. I just lie next to him and pet him occasionally with soft strokes on the head. He will close his eyes slowly when that happens. I thought that meant he was content, like with cats. He does stare at me almost the whole time though. He’ll eat out of his viv and I associated that with being calm as well. But when I go to put him back, his major freak out begins. I’ll pick him up the same way, and he’ll flail and try to escape my hands.

What’s the best way to show him that I don’t want to cause him any harm and to help him learn that leaving the viv isn’t a bad thing? Any tips will help. Thanks! Attached is a photo of him. His name is Nibbler.

Attachments

• 2B3BCF0C-1CB2-4D47-8169-4EAA9C7CAE08.jpeg
    2B3BCF0C-1CB2-4D47-8169-4EAA9C7CAE08.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38

JasperMoon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Just keep handling him, everyday if you can. Get him out & sit in a small room with him for at least 30 min. Let him explore & hopefully interact with you. Interact with him calmly & with a calm, soothing voice talk to him. I really think he’ll come around eventually, Bearded Dragons are by nature calm & laid-back. My Jasper was a skittish, crazy juvenile when I got him & I just kept doing what I advised you to do & now he’s completely chill... well, most of the time... he has his moments when he’s stubborn & wants to do what he wants to do, moody sometimes but I’ve learned that it’s just his unique personality. Some dragons are more headstrong than others. My Jasper is way more stubborn & headstrong than my daughter’s dragon, Moon.

Halgerl

Hatchling Dragon
Bonding with your beardie at a young age is important, but it is possible to form that bond later in life, it just isn’t as easy. I recommend starting smaller and doing things like petting him inside his tank every time you pass it, hanging out in the room he’s in to get him used to your presence, hand feeding him veggies, and letting him explore a closed room on his own with you in it. Eventually you can start interacting with him more and more