• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

HELP MY DRAGON IS EATING HIS OWN FOOT

WHY IS MY DRAGON EATING HIS OWN FOOT?

• eating his own foot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • health

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shoney

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I got 2 dragons from pet shop in may this year and one is growing more rapidly then the other so i need help on the smaller of the two as he has been eating its on back foot. At the start we thought it was the bigger one that was eating it (as he can be a bully at times) so we wrapped that foot up about a week a go. But last night i seen it eat its other foot!!!! He has no toes left. This can not be normal. Can anyone help me on this please?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
For starters, I would get your dragon to a herp vet ASAP.

Secondly, bearded dragons should not be housed together. They are not social creatures and one becomes more dominant over the other. Your dragon eating his own foot is a prime example of the destruction this causes.

I would separate them as soon as possible and make a vet appointment to have his foot examined.

If you need to find a herp vet, here is a link:

Herp Vet

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Often times if a beardie gets injured in a certain area and that area looses circulation due to the injury (such as toes and tips of tails) they will instinctively remove the area as a measure to keep themself healthy (as if left unchecked a blood poison from the dead flesh could enter the blood stream). These types of injuries can be caused by aggressive housemates, retained shed, toes getting crimped in hinges, etc. If this occurs you need to seek out a vet just to make certain any and all dead material is removed and to go over aftercare. You will need to seperate them asap. One not growing as quickly as the other is a sign of one dominating the other. This compounded with your current foot situation tells me you have a dominance issue on your hands that could result in a dead dragon. Not trying to be cruel or pushy it is just my experience that your next scene will be a dead dragon if you dont watch it.

shoney

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ok looks like pebbles is of to the vet at 5.30 gona bring bambam as well as i'm not sure if ther male or female
thanks everyone

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Glad to hear that you were able to get a vet appointment. Let us know what happens.