• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help! Is this tail rot?

Emily Kelly

Bearded Dragon Egg
is this tail rot? I dont think her tail was damaged in any way.
20181129_180600.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
is this tail rot? I dont think her tail was damaged in any way. View attachment 19199
Nope your dragon is beginning a shedding process in the tail. Their scales begin to get dull and grey, this goes to a white sometimes thick shed. During the shedding process you can give more frequent baths and can use a soft toothbrush to help loosen..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cold01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Nope your dragon is beginning a shedding process in the tail. Their scales begin to get dull and grey, this goes to a white sometimes thick shed. During the shedding process you can give more frequent baths and can use a soft toothbrush to help loosen..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You can bathe bearded dragons? What do you use? How often should you do it?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You can bathe bearded dragons? What do you use? How often should you do it?
lol yes you can and it's good for them, during the shed process you can give them warm soaks (like the temp you would do for a baby) and only up to their elbows..Never leave them alone while in the bath as it doesn't take much for them to decide to be silly and submerge and decide to take too much water in..
I clean out my kitchen sink and use reptile approved disinfectant for the sink before and after use.. For me it's easier to just pull the drain and let it go down lol you an also use dragon wash for stinky dragons lol www.beardeddragon.co
When shedding 1-2 times a week is good..Mine like to drink from the sink so when mine are awake and I know they should be due to poop I bathe them..

M

Masonbushell4664

Just have different decor in the viv. Stuff that is ruff to help him shed. You don’t need to bath it isn’t really needed. Putting them in a warm bath will force them to poo when they are not ready which dehydrates them.

Galapoodle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Totally just a tail shed starting. Baths help with the shed, incredibly well. Especially once it starts coming off. Usually don't even need to do the toothbrush thing really. It'll work it's way off (they also rub rough surfaces in their tank, just don't you start peeling it for them, could damage unready scales). Pay attention to the process for any retained shed (esp on fingers and toes, tip of tail) because that can cause problems later.
Lots of bearded dragons poop in the bath, very normal, mine prefers it and will purposely wait rather than go in her tank, she is accustomed to this because of a routine from when she was very sick as a juvenile. Her poops are well formed and well digested so this routine is what works for her. Don't be afraid of dehydration, it'd take a lot of neglect to cause that, if they are all around healthy and eating their greens you're good. We use a portable tub for her baths, sanitized between uses. Be sure to only fill up to the shoulders and never leave them alone, they could potentially drown. I check the temp, before she goes in, good between 90-103 f. Sometimes she's into soaking a while and sometimes she is hopping right out, depends on the day and her mood. Carefully dry off your dragon after a bath (all the little nooks and crannies) to avoid any potential fungus problems. They also need a good bask right after since they can get cold fast after a bath.
Every keeper makes their own choices regarding care and each dragon has individual needs because of their history. Baths are generally agreed to significantly help with a shedding dragon. How often you choose to bathe it regularly after that is your choice.
Have you every taken yours to the vet for a baseline checkup? It's a great idea if it's a new pet and you are also new to lizard keeping. Do research and ask around your area for a good exotics vet or herpatologist. Good luck!

M

Masonbushell4664

Totally just a tail shed starting. Baths help with the shed, incredibly well. Especially once it starts coming off. Usually don't even need to do the toothbrush thing really. It'll work it's way off (they also rub rough surfaces in their tank, just don't you start peeling it for them, could damage unready scales). Pay attention to the process for any retained shed (esp on fingers and toes, tip of tail) because that can cause problems later.
Lots of bearded dragons poop in the bath, very normal, mine prefers it and will purposely wait rather than go in her tank, she is accustomed to this because of a routine from when she was very sick as a juvenile. Her poops are well formed and well digested so this routine is what works for her. Don't be afraid of dehydration, it'd take a lot of neglect to cause that, if they are all around healthy and eating their greens you're good. We use a portable tub for her baths, sanitized between uses. Be sure to only fill up to the shoulders and never leave them alone, they could potentially drown. I check the temp, before she goes in, good between 90-103 f. Sometimes she's into soaking a while and sometimes she is hopping right out, depends on the day and her mood. Carefully dry off your dragon after a bath (all the little nooks and crannies) to avoid any potential fungus problems. They also need a good bask right after since they can get cold fast after a bath.
Every keeper makes their own choices regarding care and each dragon has individual needs because of their history. Baths are generally agreed to significantly help with a shedding dragon. How often you choose to bathe it regularly after that is your choice.
Have you every taken yours to the vet for a baseline checkup? It's a great idea if it's a new pet and you are also new to lizard keeping. Do research and ask around your area for a good exotics vet or herpatologist. Good luck!
If your putting your dragon in the bath regularly then you do need to worry about dehydration. Warm water acts as a laxative which forces them to poo when they are not ready too. Which then causes dehydration. Please don’t give people false information.

Galapoodle

Bearded Dragon Egg
Mason, I watched you do that ridiculous back and forth on the other thread and am not going to engage your trolling behaviour. There is nothing I could say to you that you would accept and I am not trying to change your mind. Only share my experiences. We've had numerous vet visits and hours of consultation regarding our dragon and it's unique health issues. I don't know you, or your experiences. I'm only trying to help and don't need an attack from you. Your opinion has been heard. I tried to give the poster thorough information instead of spreading fear.

M

Masonbushell4664

Mason, I watched you do that ridiculous back and forth on the other thread and am not going to engage your trolling behaviour. There is nothing I could say to you that you would accept and I am not trying to change your mind. Only share my experiences. We've had numerous vet visits and hours of consultation regarding our dragon and it's unique health issues. I don't know you, or your experiences. I'm only trying to help and don't need an attack from you. Your opinion has been heard. I tried to give the poster thorough information instead of spreading fear.
Don’t cry. There is no trolling here. I’m from a Facebook page where there is eveidence of all the things I say. If you said that in there you would be the only one who thinks that. The things I have said are facts. If you want a dehydrated lizard then by all means continue what you are doing.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Don’t cry. There is no trolling here. I’m from a Facebook page where there is eveidence of all the things I say. If you said that in there you would be the only one who thinks that. The things I have said are facts. If you want a dehydrated lizard then by all means continue what you are doing.
Please do share these facts...

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
All of my dragons take regular baths as they do not care to poop in their tanks.. They are all healthy and hydrated..
Important to know that each dragon is different and it is up to the owner to decide what is best for their dragons.. And to work with an exotic vet that deals with dragons and work with them to decide what is best.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If your dragon is drinking in the bath and pooping in the bath(not at the same time) there’s no worry about them getting dehydrated taking a bath. Now there is a concern that only allowing them to go to the bathroom in water can cause prolapse because the water relaxes everything a little too much there.

A little as 6 years ago it was believed that they absorbed water through their vents, we have since learned that is not the case. So baths aren’t that important to give them unless they are shedding or dirty or they like to drink in the water.

Everyone is here to learn from each other without arguments. Everyone is going to care for their dragons in the way that works best for them but in a way that they have learned is safe for the dragon. Forums like this help us all come together to share our experiences. We aren’t vets but we have all gone to vets multiple times and have discussed with them all the aspects of our care and made corrections with the recommendations that our vets have made along with some advise from experienced keepers. What I learned is, if 9 out of 10 people say to do it one way and one person says it’s wrong, go with the majority.