• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help a noobie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodaha

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey im a pet owner who has 2 dogs and ive always been interested in getting a reptile. I hear bearded dragons r good cuz theyre friendly and a good size. i have absolutely no experience with any reptiles or amphibians of any kind so i was wondering if someone could answer a couple of questions 4 me and share your words of wisdom and hopefully help anyone else wondering.
1. How often do they poop and when they do, do u have to immediatley clean after them and does it smell?
2. Is creating a habitat troublesome/expensive and annoying do check moisture, temp, and keeping clean?
3. Is feeding hard because you have to go out of your way for live insects, vegtables, and nutrient dusting?
4. Is hygen important/difficult with bathing, shedding, keeping moist
5. if there is another lizard that is friendly, big enough to hold (from like 6-18inches) significantly easier care like less feeding, easier habitat, less hygen, poops less, and all around easier care.

BeardedD

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Great questions Jodaha.

Once you go beardie, you never go back.

I've never thought I'd be so into a reptile as much as I am in to bearded dragons. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can, and everyone else in the forum, please give your input as well.

1. My beardie poops every few days, depending on what and how much he eats. Although he's gone much longer without pooping. Its important to clean it as soon as possible, they hate poop in their cage and will likely express that, and yes, it does smell pretty god awful.

2. As far a its cage goes, its not too horribly expensive and once you have a daily routine down, it gets much easier. It really isn't too expensive as far as maintenance goes.

3.Veggies and Crickets are a dime a dozen and nutrient dusting costs about 7 bucks give or take and a single bottle will last you forever. Remember, its a small animal and not a gorilla. You don't have too feed them that much. Depending on its size, a small handful of greens will last them quite a while.

4. I mist daily and bathe 1-2 times a week. I am sure everyone has their own routine, and I am not saying the way I do it is right, but my bearded dragon is pretty healthy and sheds well. Its important to handle your bearded dragon often though as they often really enjoy it and it will help it connect with you better. My bearded dragon will hang out with me for quite a while before it strays... and it usually comes running back after a while.

5. Really, a bearded dragon will connect with you better than many other reptiles and are extremely friendly if kept right. They really are great companions and their care is rather minimal compared to other exotic pets.

I am kinda biased but I don't think you'll be disappointed. Hope this helps :)

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
1. Beardies can poop at all different times. Some poop every day some poop every few days. I find it easier to soak them in the tub for about 15 to 30 min 3-4 times a week to not only help hydrate them but to encourage them to poop in the tub making it easier for you to clean.

2. When setting up the enclosure for your beardie it can get a little costly but not too bad because once it's set up its fairly cheap and easy to maintain. You can buy already made enclosures or choose to build one on your own. How easy it is to keep clean really depends on what substrate/bedding you are using. Typically non particle substrates are very easy to clean and usually cheaper to use as well. Particle substrates can be costly, pose a health risk, and hold odors so it is a little more difficult to clean. temps are easy to check with a digital thermometer with a probe touching the surface of the basking site. Another option for measuring temps is by purchasing an infrared temp gun which is even more accurate of a reading.

3. Feeding isn't as difficult as it may seem. Live insects can be bought in bulk to save you money and trips to the pet store. There are plenty of suitable insects you can give your beardie and if you don't like one kind (I personally hate crickets and roaches) you can choose another. Great staple insects can be crickets, locusts, roaches, silkworms, phoenix worms (these are best for babies since they are very small) and hornworms. Supplements are on an easy schedule. Babies to juveniles get calcium 6 days a week and a multivitamin once a week. Adults get calcium 3 days a week and multivitamin once a week. Greens/veggies are easily obtainable and aren't hard to find in stores and can be pretty yummy for yourself to eat as well.

4. Hygiene is very important as it is for every living animal. Bathing should be kept to a schedule of a 15-30 min soak 3-4 times a week or more if you want. This aides in hydration, cleaning the dragon and helping a shed progress smoothly. You can easily fit this into your schedule. For instance, when you clean out your dragon's tank you can get a large basin with warm water filled shoulder deep on the dragon and keep it in the same room as the tank so you can supervise them and clean the tank at the same time.

5. As far as other reptiles that are easier to care for, I know geckos are easier/cheaper to care for and can be quite social creatures.

redflea13

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Leopard Geckos are friendly and very easy to keep and grow to about 8-9inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.