• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello!! New to Group! humidity problems!

Amanda Thompson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey y'all!

I am new to this group and it is nice to have so many people with great ideas and knowledge about Beardies..

I just got Spyro about 2 months ago. We originally had him in a 20 gallon tank, but just used an old 55 gallon fish tank and converted it into his new home. He loved it, but I cannot get the temperature higher than 80 degrees or the humidity lower than 70%!!!!! SO...now he is in his little home staring at his mansion just waiting to move in!! How can I get the temp up and humidity down?

Oh, and I live in Texas, close to the Gulf coast so the humidity is just high to begin with here!

Thanks in advance!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20180618_225533.jpg
    IMG_20180618_225533.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27

Ryan S

Bearded Dragon Egg
What's the type and wattage of bulb you are using? And that fixture is also diffusing a lot of light. You may need to invest in something that encases and directs more of that light downward.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You really shouldn't use the 55 as they are meant for fish and dragons need floor space over height.. 40g breeders are more the standard size and meant for reptiles. The issue your having with temps and humidity is because it's too big and too high to effectively regulate things. I would also remove the water dish as most do not recognize standing water and being in TX that isn't helping.

AngelDeVille

Hatchling Dragon
Where are you measuring temperature?

The basking spot needs to read around 100*.

You live in a high humidity area, so don't keep a water dish in the enclosure, and stop measuring humidity .

I have a low height enclosure and i found a 100w bulb was giving me temps around 115*.

I switched to a 75w bulb and I'm reading right at 100*.

The 100w bulb will be used for winter duty.

Most importantly, I don't see a UV light.

UV is needed to help them produce calcium. They can't get it from room light.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Everything Hdrydr31 said.

Where in coastal Texas are you? I live in Corpus Christi, and Galveston prior to that so I know all about the humidity lol. I use a 40 gallon breeder with a 50 watt and a 100 watt basking bulb and it works great. Humidity has never been an issue