• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello! New beardie owner here!

Craftyrph

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello all! Our family had a recent addition of a bearded dragon a few weeks ago and he seems to be adjusting well in his new home. His name is Uncle Johnny. He is a full grown adult, I think. He’s 16 months old or so and is 20 inches long. We did have a bearded dragon briefly a few months ago when we kept the school pet over Christmas break. I fell in love with them so I jumped at the chance when my friend was giving one of hers away.

As new owners, we are trying to get everything right. Our biggest hurdle right now is getting the temperatures right and trying to get him to eat. He was not eating much when he came to us. The previous owner said to try giving him a superworm see if he will eat that after a few days of not eating at all. Of course he devoured it! He will not eat crickets at all. But I do think I am figuring out which veggies he likes. I tried feeding what he was getting previously and he did not want any of it. I switched it up to collards as his green and change out carrots, yellow squash, butternut squash, zucchini, celery; Uncle Johnny has slowly started eating his veggies again, yay! But still no crickets. My husband refuses to allow any kind of roaches into the house on purpose, so Dubias are out. Any other daily feeding insect suggestion? Maybe a worm that is healthy for him as a daily meal? I know superworms are snacks, and that’s only how they have been given to him both now and prior to him living with us.

As far as temps, I changed his basking bulb from a 100w to 150w bulb. I’m not sure if I made it too hot on his hammocks now as he doesn’t seem to want to be up there as much. I am going to order a temp gun so I can see exactly what is going on. The wall mounted thermometer is not helping me at all.

Any advice appreciated!

Melissa

2B5A3282-91D1-4AA6-8ABB-0A2AE58B51B8.jpeg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Welcome! If you don't have one already, I suggest getting an IR temp gun to measure your temps. It's possible that the tank is too hot now for him. Sounds like you are giving a good variety of veggies. My husband was against dubia too until he learned that they were really the best feeder. We went to a reptile show where they had cups of dubia sitting out open and they were just kinda sitting there not crawling out of the cup or moving fast and he broke down and said we could get them, but he won't let me BREED them. Silk worms are a great everyday feeder. BSFL are good too. Hornworms are good for hydration and a snack. He's just around that age where he's eating less bugs so don't be too concerned if he's being fussy about them. As long as he is eating a few bugs and his salad, he's going to be fine.

Craftyrph

Bearded Dragon Egg
I just ordered an IR temp gun. It should be here tomorrow. The kids and I are going to a reptile show the first weekend in May. My husband has to work so he won’t be going with us. I was hoping a vendor would have dubias I could buy to try some. It will still be a very hard sell to convince my husband! We have a local cricket farm, literally 10 minutes from my house. It would be nice if they started selling them, I could buy them in very low quantities and my husband would never know, lol.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Buy a small cup of like 25. I kept telling my husband they look like rollie pollie bugs and it worked. He just still freaks out if one gets loose somewhere. I keep telling him they don't breed if it's too cold.