• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello I'm worried as my dragon sheds alot

Michelledoh2002

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 3 year old dragon I have him 1 year now since we got him he eats crickets meal worms and cockcroaches, have tried every fruit and veg and only veg he eats is green beans he gets his calcium dust twice a week with food but he sheds every 2-3 months, he seems fine eats well sleeps well behaves well, have temperature and humidity reader's all is at recommended levels, this is my first beardie I'm worried I'm doing something wrong as he shouldn't shed as much as he does any help would be appreciated

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
How often is he shedding? If shed looks normal and he's ok otherwise, I don't know if I'd worry too much. My guy is about 7 months old and I swear he's shedding every time I turn around. He just started another shed and it seems like it's only been a few weeks since his last. Not sure if it's normal or not, but he doesn't seem to be in distress. Hoping expert can give us some advice on whether this is normal.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Babies shed alot -- it normal and it is good means they are growing and that is what you want

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Do people not read the original posts before replying OP stated the beardie is 3 years old. I don’t have any long term experience but from what I have read shedding is usually seen as a good thing? Providing they are in good health, and the shedding isn’t due to weight gain from over eating? I don’t think shedding is only due to size increase, I presume beardies regenerate their skin at different rates. Will check back for more advice!

Bostonfinest

Juvenile Dragon
Do people not read the original posts before replying OP stated the beardie is 3 years old. I don’t have any long term experience but from what I have read shedding is usually seen as a good thing? Providing they are in good health, and the shedding isn’t due to weight gain from over eating? I don’t think shedding is only due to size increase, I presume beardies regenerate their skin at different rates. Will check back for more advice!
Shedding is a good thing it is a sign that they are healthy and growing, but once they reach adulthood it’s not as frequent

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
How often is he shedding? If shed looks normal and he's ok otherwise, I don't know if I'd worry too much. My guy is about 7 months old and I swear he's shedding every time I turn around. He just started another shed and it seems like it's only been a few weeks since his last. Not sure if it's normal or not, but he doesn't seem to be in distress. Hoping expert can give us some advice on whether this is normal.
Do more baths in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum it helps the soon fall off and helps with the itching and buy reptisafe it’s drops u place in the water to remove chlorine it’s super bad for Beardies/their skin in drinking and bathing. So if u don’t have a house filter system buy this;)

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Just be careful not to bathe him too much, it's not healthy for his scales.
Hooman you are a Breeder and treat them poorly and cheaply & pawn them off to new reptile owners that are not even informed or educated properly!! Enuff!! We despise breeders u make them fat overnite, feed them crap & sell them for top dollar!! It’s Disgusting & in the end the animal suffers especially after u toss the mothers off to losers after they are broken/weak and dying from not Enuff calcium after laying the eggs!!! We have seen it all!! It’s disturbing

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a 3 year old dragon I have him 1 year now since we got him he eats crickets meal worms and cockcroaches, have tried every fruit and veg and only veg he eats is green beans he gets his calcium dust twice a week with food but he sheds every 2-3 months, he seems fine eats well sleeps well behaves well, have temperature and humidity reader's all is at recommended levels, this is my first beardie I'm worried I'm doing something wrong as he shouldn't shed as much as he does any help would be appreciated
Shedding is a good sign if he’s eating & has energy & his poop is solid/firm & not runny. Green beans is good; but he needs more staple greens/veggies: try dandelions, mustard/collard greens, yellow squash, butternut squash, endives and snap peas. Fruits as a treat due to the sugar: do like 6-7 blueberries a few times a week. They love them and mangoes/or papayas those are the best & everyday greens/veggies. Cut them up and try to hand feed as u introduce these new greens/veggies.

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hooman you are a Breeder and treat them poorly and cheaply & pawn them off to new reptile owners that are not even informed or educated properly!! Enuff!! We despise breeders u make them fat overnite, feed them crap & sell them for top dollar!! It’s Disgusting & in the end the animal suffers especially after u toss the mothers off to losers after they are broken/weak and dying from not Enuff calcium after laying the eggs!!! We have seen it all!! It’s disturbing
Frankly, you’re disturbing.

CastielTheBeardy

Hatchling Dragon
Some dragons do shed in little sections, it wont be like one whole shed but shedding a lot is normal for babies and for my 3 year old boy he does little pieces at a time his recent was his face

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Thanks for the laugh, I needed it after a long day of responding to your nonsensical posts.
Are you being paid to sponsor Carolina Customs? They're breeders... Most of the people you promote are breeders, but you hate breeders? Please explain.
"Make them fat overnite"-not possible, they know when to stop eating
"Top dollar"-most normal morph beardies don't sell for more than $60, and it costs twice that per day to raise them.
I've never bred beardies in my life and don't plan to, the ones we have in the hobby today are inbred enough already.
Anyways, that was an oddly specific accusation and I enjoyed reading it.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for the laugh, I needed it after a long day of responding to your nonsensical posts.
Are you being paid to sponsor Carolina Customs? They're breeders... Most of the people you promote are breeders, but you hate breeders? Please explain.
"Make them fat overnite"-not possible, they know when to stop eating
"Top dollar"-most normal morph beardies don't sell for more than $60, and it costs twice that per day to raise them.
I've never bred beardies in my life and don't plan to, the ones we have in the hobby today are inbred enough already.
Anyways, that was an oddly specific accusation and I enjoyed reading it.
I don’t promote Carolina custom but people don’t want a Beardie but don’t want to spend the money it seems like on the proper lighting until they are on their death bed or have major health issues. My Reptisun; I order from Amazon until someone told me Carolina Custom sells the Reptisun for cheaper. YES they breed but treat the Beardies Top Notch & all have Reptisuns, eat crickets and Dubias & are all in great health I have spoken to the owners regarding huge cages 180 gallon plus, that’s how I know. I could care less where someoen gets the Reptisun just as long as they order it and provide good Husbandry for the dragon.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I don’t promote Carolina custom but people don’t want a Beardie but don’t want to spend the money it seems like on the proper lighting until they are on their death bed or have major health issues. My Reptisun; I order from Amazon until someone told me Carolina Custom sells the Reptisun for cheaper. YES they breed but treat the Beardies Top Notch & all have Reptisuns, eat crickets and Dubias & are all in great health I have spoken to the owners regarding huge cages 180 gallon plus, that’s how I know. I could care less where someoen gets the Reptisun just as long as they order it and provide good Husbandry for the dragon.
Worry about your own animals. Nobody asked for your help or opinion.