• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello everyone! We need help..

sheath

Hatchling Dragon
I'm a mother of 4 boys who had been wanting a dragon for awhile now.
We finally got one this past Sunday, so almost 4 days ago.
He is in a 20 gallon tank set made by zoo med, we bought it from pet smart.

It has been almost 4 days he has not eaten at all and he rarely moves.. He did drink once and we have been spraying him once a day.
We offer small crickets, kale and pellets.

His tank temps are 119. And 77
How do I raise the cool side temp??
He mostly stays on the warm side.

He has pooed 4 times
And we did reach in and touch him throughout the days before today. But yesterday we decided not to touch him at all until he started eating well.

Tonight he was basking and his head was twitching almost like he was shaking.

What are we doing wrong??
Should we take him to a vet? And if so does a normal vet take on reptiles?

Im attached to him already, he needs to start comming around. Everyone meet Phil.

uploadfromtaptalk1406170188167.jpg

sheath

Hatchling Dragon
I know the thermometer needs to be moved we just bought it. We need to move it higher up. But didn't want to disturb him anymore tonight.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Where's your basking light?

And you need better probs for measuring temps..... Get yourself zoomed temp with prob it's yellow with a white prob... Place it at highest point on basking sight should be no higher than 115.

Also what Uvb and style r u using?

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
K..... Issue there is the 5.0 is not for beardies..... It is for tropical reptiles....

ASAP switch to a florescent tube style 10.0. I recommend the t5 reptisun 10.0 in a 24" or longer..... Petsmart should have em for $70 bucks. That's fixture and bulb...... Also when you place it on top of the tank make sure the basking bulb is nearest to the center of the UVB.......

This will help you out a ton.

Also make sure to dust calcium with d3 every couple days along with multivitamins and regular calcium phosphorus free and d3 free every time you don't use the others...... Especially if you go with the t5 high output.

sheath

Hatchling Dragon
I wondered if the uvb bulb wasn't strong enough, we are new at this and assumed because the sales manager from pet smart told us this was what we needed.
I will be sure to get a new uvb fixture and bulb.

Will this help him eat??

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It could.... The UVB is essential to them maintaining d3 and aids in absorbing the calcium..

Think of it like this..... The 5.0 uvb is overcast with the occasional break in the sky for sun....... The 10.0 is bright sunny skies with the Occasional cloud.
Now that being said you also have to take into account that the screen lid on your tank takes away more than 50% of the UVB rays thus making your 5.0 even less.... More like a 1.0 which is nothing.......

So get the reptisun t5 high output 10.0 and even on the screen your gonna be a hell of a lot better of than you are now....

candybar213

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Seems they say anything to make the sale and don't worry about the misery of the pet wile the new parents are learning

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It never seems to amaze me what the pet stores tell people they should use to care for their animals
Most pet stores are priovided a basic care sheet for looking after the reptiles and it is generally not species specific. And most not all will not do further research to further there knowledge.
Seems they say anything to make the sale and don't worry about the misery of the pet wile the new parents are learning
And unfortunately it is about money and the sales..... Not education and proper care.

sheath

Hatchling Dragon
We will get him better... I'm determined... He's a cute little guy. And I think I'm just as excited as the boys to watch him grow. Although I feel like calling pet smart and telling that manager he needs to do more research before selling anymore.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
We will get him better... I'm determined... He's a cute little guy. And I think I'm just as excited as the boys to watch him grow. Although I feel like calling pet smart and telling that manager he needs to do more research before selling anymore.
Yea you could try, but sadly probably won't do anything at all...... The 2 petsmart in my city here wish they didn't even sell herps because of all the issues they have to deal with...... I go two both of em every week and basically check up on all they have....... Wish I could take em all but with the zoo I have at home already makes that and lack of my non existent millions hard to do