• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heather & Oscar

HeatherO

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone! I’m Heather and my little guy is Oscar. He’s about 3 1/2 years old, but I’ve only had him since May. Previously he belonged to a coworker’s son and was named Spike.

When my coworker brought him over, his setup was pretty bare bones. He had a hide that he barely fit in, a small plant, and food/water dishes. The terrarium was a decent size, maybe 30 or 40 gal, but there was no cover so his heat lamp was clipped to the top edge and sort’ve pointed down into the tank. It didn’t do a lot for him so he had a couple heat pads on the underside. The “UV” light was a CFL UV blacklight bulb—basically just a party light, and the substrate was sand. He also wasn’t getting a lot of variety in his diet. I didn’t know what I was doing but I knew he needed a much better home than that.

In my quest to upgrade his living situation, I turned to BDF many times because this site frequently popped up in my Google searches with answers to questions I had. His current home is a 50 gal tank with a proper basking light, a UVB bar, a hide he can actually “hide” in, homemade salads on the daily, and generally living like a spoiled king! I decided it was finally time to just join and be part of the community since you all helped so much without even knowing! But I’m definitely not an expert, so it’s nice to have a variety of knowledge and information available to see what other people’s experiences have been, what works, what doesn’t, get some advice, etc. I look forward to being a part of it! Thanks for reading! :bd:

Sander Andrade

Juvenile Dragon
Hey everyone! I’m Heather and my little guy is Oscar. He’s about 3 1/2 years old, but I’ve only had him since May. Previously he belonged to a coworker’s son and was named Spike.

When my coworker brought him over, his setup was pretty bare bones. He had a hide that he barely fit in, a small plant, and food/water dishes. The terrarium was a decent size, maybe 30 or 40 gal, but there was no cover so his heat lamp was clipped to the top edge and sort’ve pointed down into the tank. It didn’t do a lot for him so he had a couple heat pads on the underside. The “UV” light was a CFL UV blacklight bulb—basically just a party light, and the substrate was sand. He also wasn’t getting a lot of variety in his diet. I didn’t know what I was doing but I knew he needed a much better home than that.

In my quest to upgrade his living situation, I turned to BDF many times because this site frequently popped up in my Google searches with answers to questions I had. His current home is a 50 gal tank with a proper basking light, a UVB bar, a hide he can actually “hide” in, homemade salads on the daily, and generally living like a spoiled king! I decided it was finally time to just join and be part of the community since you all helped so much without even knowing! But I’m definitely not an expert, so it’s nice to have a variety of knowledge and information available to see what other people’s experiences have been, what works, what doesn’t, get some advice, etc. I look forward to being a part of it! Thanks for reading! :bd:
Welcome to the forum! I'm glad everything sorted out. Can you post a couple pictures of Oscar for us? We love seeing beardies here. [emoji846]

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Well welcome officially to BDF :) Glad to hear that you now have Oscar as it sounds like things are way better for the fella.. Sounds like you have corrected items in his enclosure that is no good for him..You say he is now in a 50gal is that a fish tank or a reptile tank? I ask because typically fish tanks are narrow and they need more floor space than height..How big is he? what kind of live prey do you feed? Have you had him vetted to make sure he is good and healthy? Since he didn't have the proper UVB light and likely no supplements you may want to have some bloodwork done to check his calcium levels and if he has any MBD going on due to previous husbandry.
I'm glad to hear that he is living like a spoiled King :)

We love pictures

HeatherO

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you Sander Andrade and Hdrydr31!
He is in a 50 gallon reptile tank. I got the NatGeo tank because it was on sale at PetSmart and I love that the front doors open to access him as opposed to reaching in from the top. I’m short and I’d need a stool, lol.

He’s about 7.5“ nose to vent, 18“ nose to tip of tail. His favorite salad ingredients (the things he will pick out first) are mustard greens, cilantro, dandelion greens, basil, orange or red bell peppers, mango, bananas, carrots, apples, and cauliflower. His previous owner fed crickets, but I don’t “do” crickets, they are a pain to take care of, they stink and I just hate the jumpy things. So now his main live source are dubia roaches, and he loves calci worms when they’re in stock at the store. He gets the occasional wax worms as a treat, or when he’s being finicky I’ll put a few under his salad so he “accidentally” ingests salad while picking for the worms. He gets baths at least once a week but usually twice because that’s when he most often takes care of his business.

He’s a pretty sweet guy overall. He likes being held and will snuggle into the crook of my neck. Probably just to get warm, but I prefer to think it’s because he loves and appreciates me, haha ;) Only time I’ve seen his beard go black was when I walked in to see my cat, Charlie, laying on top of the tank above him shortly after I got the cat. I think Charlie just liked the warmth because he seemed to not be bothered with Oscar at all, but Oscar was having none of it. I got Charlie a heating pad so he’s never gotten up there again. I also have a dog named Shasta. She likes to watch Oscar running around in his tank and Oscar doesn’t seem to mind the audience. I’ll try to link a couple pics, hopefully it works! :)
(The second pic was when he tried mango for the first time. He LOVED it and went nuts and a lot of it ended up stuck in his chin, lol)

https://i.imgur.com/yrnyAVc.png
https://i.imgur.com/b0besvR.png
https://imgur.com/6vO4HZZ

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Awe Oscar is a good lookin fella! Looks like you are doing a great job!! You have been doing your research lol love it! He looks like a sweetie I love when they snuggle up in our necks then get their little butt wiggles in to get comfy.. I don't blame you on the front opening tanks those are nice. All 3 of mine are top loading for me that works but understand the need for front..
Looking forward to having you here on the forum

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Welcome (officially) to the forum! I did the same thing, lurked for quite awhile before I joined. Sounds like he is in good hands now!