• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat lamp??

Dray

Hatchling Dragon
So I've been using 100w reptisun heat lamps for my warm side and they don't last long at all. Has anyone tried using 100w normal frosted incandescent bulbs?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You can use a normal house bulb. Make sure that your dome fixture is rated for the wattage of your bulb. Some fixtures only go up to 75 watts.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
is this for above screen or internally mounted? I am not sure how deeply the heat from a normal bulb will penetrate. I have one in a lamp and by putting my hand near it I can tell that it is not much more than 6 inches and that is with the reflector on the lamp. It would have to go pretty close to the basking spot.
How long have bulbs been lasting? You should get at least 6 months out of the reptisun ones, at which point they need changing wether they are still working or not.
This type of halogen spot light should last a year, but they are double the price:
bulb.png

They also have the reflector built in so much better for focusing on a certain spot in your viv. Komodo or Arcadia make them