• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat at night

bdog

Bearded Dragon Egg
We are new beaded dragon owners. Our enclosure has a reptisun UVB light and a separate basking heat lamp. I assume we turn these both off at night so the critter can sleep. We keep our thermostat set at 70 degrees in our house. Do I need to provide some kind of supplemental heat at night for it or will it be ok? If so what is best for the heat? I have an extra reptile dome light hood but I hear the ceramic heat emitters are bad and lights well are light. Red light?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We are new beaded dragon owners. Our enclosure has a reptisun UVB light and a separate basking heat lamp. I assume we turn these both off at night so the critter can sleep. We keep our thermostat set at 70 degrees in our house. Do I need to provide some kind of supplemental heat at night for it or will it be ok? If so what is best for the heat? I have an extra reptile dome light hood but I hear the ceramic heat emitters are bad and lights well are light. Red light?
Please NO red lights or colored lights at all -- CHE are good if you need one -- if the tank is falling below 65 at nite then I recommend you get one --- the UVB your using is a coil or a tube fixture?

bdog

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for the info on being ok at night. The enclosure I have now is a small 20 gallon tank with a E27 reptisun 10.0 but the larger PVC enclosure I have on order (4x2x2) will have a T5 reptisun 10.0.

The manufacturer of the PVC enclosure says no CHE.

What is wrong with the red lights?

bdog

Bearded Dragon Egg
Rats. I ordered 6 of them already. Normal white lights for basking but figured I would use the red for night heat.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Rats. I ordered 6 of them already. Normal white lights for basking but figured I would use the red for night heat.
No colored bulbs AT ALL --- I have a 4x2x2 that is a Zen that has PVC and I am using CHE's on both of my tanks - it is placed on top of the stainless steel screen in the center of the tank - why is the manufacturer saying NO CHE's on yours ? Colored lights disrupt sleep and like mentioned earlier can cause cataracts along w/ other eye issues

bdog

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok got it on the no colored lights maybe I can return them. As to the CHE my cages don’t have any screens on top. They are solid with vents on the sides and back. They will be stacked three high with one for the Bearded Dragon, one for our tortoise, and we are debating what kind of creature to put in the third one.

The light fixtures are mounted on the inside of the cages and just screwed into the top of the cage which is PVC. The manufacturer says the CHE can get so hot that it melts/softens the PVC and the screws could pull out causing the fixture to fall.

I guess it really doesn’t matter because it sounds like I don’t need night heat anyway.

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
Please NO red lights or colored lights at all -- CHE are good if you need one -- if the tank is falling below 65 at nite then I recommend you get one --- the UVB your using is a coil or a tube fixture?
Hey, Sadie: Can you point us to the place where you learned about red lights causing cataracts? I've never heard this, and I'm willing to learn.

What I've heard about using red lights is it sometimes makes the substrate look like something to eat. And also the animal sees different color spectrums and should have it totally dark at night, not colored red.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
First, let me say that I don't use any lights at night. If I'm concerned about my house temperature dropping too low, I turn on a CHE, which happens rarely. :)

As far as using red lights at night, I found this reference under WikiBooks, but it doesn’t list a source or give study data.
“For heating, bearded dragons need bright white light during the day. Do not use a red light at night. It has been proven that bearded dragons can see this and their sleep may be disturbed.” [https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Animal_Care/Bearded_Dragon]

I also found this reference to colored lighting [https://fluffyplanet.com/why-are-red-bulbs-bad-for-my-bearded-dragon/]
  • “It is not proven by any study that red bulbs do not disturb your bearded dragon while it’s sleeping. In fact, researches show proof of the exact opposite. They say that reptiles can see colours and lights. This means that red light is useless in terms of providing heat without disturbing the sleep of your pet.
  • The pupils of your pet need to be contracted by the light so that the UV rays do not affect their eyes. But red light does not cause the pupils to contract enough to avoid damage to the eyes by the UV rays.
  • Red lights do not give off enough heat for a bearded dragon.”

I found this at Reptile Guide [https://reptile.guide/bearded-dragon-lighting-guide/]
“Your bearded dragon does not need any type of nightlight or other lighting at night. In fact, providing them with such will only help to disturb their natural sleep cycle and leave them feeling grumpy and sleep deprived.

Think about it like this . . . bearded dragons in the wild do not require any type of lighting at night (save for the stars maybe) so why would one in captivity be any different? Any light they see, they will naturally associate with the sun.

So, contrary to what any rep at a pet store tries to tell you, your bearded dragon does not need lighting at night, under any circumstance.”

None of these references give scientific data as back up. I couldn’t find anything on proven study stats. I’m still searching . . .

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
First, let me say that I don't use any lights at night. If I'm concerned about my house temperature dropping too low, I turn on a CHE, which happens rarely. :)

As far as using red lights at night, I found this reference under WikiBooks, but it doesn’t list a source or give study data.
“For heating, bearded dragons need bright white light during the day. Do not use a red light at night. It has been proven that bearded dragons can see this and their sleep may be disturbed.” [https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Animal_Care/Bearded_Dragon]

I also found this reference to colored lighting [https://fluffyplanet.com/why-are-red-bulbs-bad-for-my-bearded-dragon/]
  • “It is not proven by any study that red bulbs do not disturb your bearded dragon while it’s sleeping. In fact, researches show proof of the exact opposite. They say that reptiles can see colours and lights. This means that red light is useless in terms of providing heat without disturbing the sleep of your pet.
  • The pupils of your pet need to be contracted by the light so that the UV rays do not affect their eyes. But red light does not cause the pupils to contract enough to avoid damage to the eyes by the UV rays.
  • Red lights do not give off enough heat for a bearded dragon.”

I found this at Reptile Guide [https://reptile.guide/bearded-dragon-lighting-guide/]
“Your bearded dragon does not need any type of nightlight or other lighting at night. In fact, providing them with such will only help to disturb their natural sleep cycle and leave them feeling grumpy and sleep deprived.

Think about it like this . . . bearded dragons in the wild do not require any type of lighting at night (save for the stars maybe) so why would one in captivity be any different? Any light they see, they will naturally associate with the sun.

So, contrary to what any rep at a pet store tries to tell you, your bearded dragon does not need lighting at night, under any circumstance.”

None of these references give scientific data as back up. I couldn’t find anything on proven study stats. I’m still searching . . .
I found this forum discussion on RFUK. Not back up by data. [https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/1084776-white-red-light-beardie.html]

It mentions a breeder said white light can cause cataracts and the best light to have is a red bulb. The answer that follows says that the breeder probably meant conjunctivitis if the lights weren’t mounted properly.

03-10-2015, 09:22 PM
firefly19
Super Regular
white or red light for beardie
I use a white light for my bearded dragon to bask under but I've been told by the breeder that a white light can cause cataracts and the best light to have is a red bulb. Is this true?

03-10-2015, 10:14 PM
jarich
Ultra Citizen
The problem with bearded dragons is that they are so easy to breed, that any unknowledgeable person can do it. Your breeder is absolutely incorrect. As a matter of fact, he has it almost the opposite of the truth.

Do not use red lights. Dragons can see red spectrum lighting, just like you and I. In fact they have the ability to see colours we cant (down into the UV spectrum). So when we give them poor lighting like red lights, it not only affects how they see (and that would be all day, every day) but also can affect the systems in their body that are reliant on UVA wavelengths. UVA affects hormone production feedback loops and helps them know when brumate, etc.

However, when using bright white lights, which is what you should be using, make sure that all the lighting is mounted directly above. Conjunctivitis (which I think is what your breeder meant) can be caused by improperly mounted lights that are too low or on the side. This light then shines directly into the dragons eye and can then cause damage. They have that nice bony ridge above their eyes to protect them from sunlight, so mounting the lights above makes sure to use that same protection like they have in the wild.
firefly19 and jamesbreck like this.
03-10-2015, 11:51 PM
Azastral
Premier Citizen
White light, all the way.

Proper visual light is important as Jarich has explained above, also, only using a red light can impair their colour vision.

Avoid the "day glo" type all in one bulbs that are shaped like a knot, these can have a detrimental effect on their sight, and also as started above, the light should be mounted above on the ceiling, idealling the viv should be at least 2ft tall as well to give enough height to it.

If you are being told to use a red light i would stop listening to the person to be honest, next they will be telling you you can use it at night as well...

Proper full spectrum visual light and a uv tube during the day, properly mounted to the viv ceiling. No lights at night.

LittleMissScareAll

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your ambient temperature is fine. No need to add supplemental at night.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey, Sadie: Can you point us to the place where you learned about red lights causing cataracts? I've never heard this, and I'm willing to learn.

What I've heard about using red lights is it sometimes makes the substrate look like something to eat. And also the animal sees different color spectrums and should have it totally dark at night, not colored red.
Red bulbs and moonlight bulbs that are marketed for use with bearded dragons, are useless. Contrary to what would seem popular belief, dragons can in fact see this light, and it will disturb their sleep. Think about it, Bearded dragons have an extra cone in their eyes. At the minimum, this means they have better vision than you and can see things that we can not, necessarily. A good rule to go by is, if you can see it, they definitely can see it.
Here is a video on you tube about red lights
I am not exactly sure where I went to find the cataract thing but I do know that colored bulbs disrupt the sleep and cause stress for the dragon -- they have very sensitive eyes and long term can be detrimental to them --- I have seen and helped many people w/ dragons that have had long use of these colored bulbs and the outcome has not been real good - if in doubt dont do it that is a good rule of thumb -- better to be safe than sorry I guess

Yvonne G

Administrator
3 Year Member
I found this forum discussion on RFUK. Not back up by data. [https://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/1084776-white-red-light-beardie.html]

It mentions a breeder said white light can cause cataracts and the best light to have is a red bulb. The answer that follows says that the breeder probably meant conjunctivitis if the lights weren’t mounted properly.

03-10-2015, 09:22 PM
firefly19
Super Regular
white or red light for beardie

I use a white light for my bearded dragon to bask under but I've been told by the breeder that a white light can cause cataracts and the best light to have is a red bulb. Is this true?

03-10-2015, 10:14 PM
jarich
Ultra Citizen

The problem with bearded dragons is that they are so easy to breed, that any unknowledgeable person can do it. Your breeder is absolutely incorrect. As a matter of fact, he has it almost the opposite of the truth.

Do not use red lights. Dragons can see red spectrum lighting, just like you and I. In fact they have the ability to see colours we cant (down into the UV spectrum). So when we give them poor lighting like red lights, it not only affects how they see (and that would be all day, every day) but also can affect the systems in their body that are reliant on UVA wavelengths. UVA affects hormone production feedback loops and helps them know when brumate, etc.

However, when using bright white lights, which is what you should be using, make sure that all the lighting is mounted directly above. Conjunctivitis (which I think is what your breeder meant) can be caused by improperly mounted lights that are too low or on the side. This light then shines directly into the dragons eye and can then cause damage. They have that nice bony ridge above their eyes to protect them from sunlight, so mounting the lights above makes sure to use that same protection like they have in the wild.
firefly19 and jamesbreck like this.
03-10-2015, 11:51 PM
Azastral
Premier Citizen

White light, all the way.

Proper visual light is important as Jarich has explained above, also, only using a red light can impair their colour vision.

Avoid the "day glo" type all in one bulbs that are shaped like a knot, these can have a detrimental effect on their sight, and also as started above, the light should be mounted above on the ceiling, idealling the viv should be at least 2ft tall as well to give enough height to it.

If you are being told to use a red light i would stop listening to the person to be honest, next they will be telling you you can use it at night as well...

Proper full spectrum visual light and a uv tube during the day, properly mounted to the viv ceiling. No lights at night.
Thanks, Barb. 'Conjunctivitis' sounds more reasonable than cataracts.

Thomas J sobczynski

Hatchling Dragon
You can use a night time basking bulb. I use a 100watt one. On the cool side of the tank.

Cayla_hobbes

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use a ceramic heater at night. You don't want the tank dropping below 70° ever really. I've heard 65 buuuuut thats awfully cold for a scale baby that likes 90° water.
I would definitely get some sort of heater for night time.
I strongly advise against rock heaters- lots if cases where they've burned the lizard. Also heating pads can short circuit and frankly that's just scary imo.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No colored bulbs please --- they can cause long term eye damage and it disrupts their sleep -- extra heat for a tank that is dropping below 65 at nite should have a CHE