• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat and light questions

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
I am setting up a 4 ft x 2ft tall Zen Hab enclosure with glass doors. Ambient room temps are 70. My questions are:
-Can I use the infrared heat bulbs for basking/hot side of the cage?
-Is it possible that 6-10" under the 175W of basking it's 100*, but bottom of enclosure is only 75, and if so is that OK?
-I've read the heat gradient charts posted here, but my initial testing seems to indicate I will need 24 hour CHE, and 12 hours of 200W (or more) basking lights to achieve this. Does this sound right?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Hadenuffyet

Juvenile Dragon
I am setting up a 4 ft x 2ft tall Zen Hab enclosure with glass doors. Ambient room temps are 70. My questions are:
-Is it possible that 6-10" under the 175W of basking it's 100*, but bottom of enclosure is only 75, and if so is that OK?
-I've read the heat gradient charts posted here, but my initial testing seems to indicate I will need 24 hour CHE, and 12 hours of 200W (or more) basking lights to achieve this. Does this sound right?

Appreciate any thoughts.
My basking is 8 inches under a 75 watt , hits over 100. Ambient tank temp is 85 with just the uvb bulb, no extra heat source. What are you using to get your temps.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
No bulbs with color, they cause eye issues. And its okay if the basking spot is 100 and the rest is 70-80, how cold is it where you live? You shouldn’t need that many heat bulbs on, normally just the one heat bulb is enough, they do like it cold at night (no lower than 65f) if ur temps are cold have a 150watt at the basking spot, and get a 75watt for the middle of the enclosure, CHEs are only needed if ur night time temps are really cold. I have my basking spot 10 and inches from the decor and a 100watt and im getting 93-97

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Make shure ur fixtures can take the wattage ur putting in them too…

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Appreciate any thoughts.
How tall is the tank? Anything over 24" is going to be harder to heat--- you want the basking area 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- a nice decor piece would be good for gradient heat - it would offer different places to sit lay on stand against and lay under - something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 this piece you can lay in the tank different ways -- dragons need floor space not height and the wattage of the bulb is going to be trial and error - so the digital probe thermometer is a MUST!!
You need 2 lights in the tank a good bright white basking bulb that keeps temps as mentioned above NO colored bulbs heat mats or rocks --- and a long tube UVB NO coils you want something like a 24" Zoo Med or Sunblaster or a Arcadia fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or a Arcadia 12% bulb --- if the tank is 24" + in height you can use a 14% bulb from Arcadia -- those are designed for higher tanks- your going to need the UVB inside the tank and depending on the bulb you get will determine distance - middle of the tank should be 90's and cool side of the tank 80's during the day - you wants temps at nite between 65-75 - dragons like it cool and dark --

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
How tall is the tank? Anything over 24" is going to be harder to heat--- you want the basking area 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- a nice decor piece would be good for gradient heat - it would offer different places to sit lay on stand against and lay under - something like this https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/ha...riftwood-reptile-decor-54734.html?cgid=500116 this piece you can lay in the tank different ways -- dragons need floor space not height and the wattage of the bulb is going to be trial and error - so the digital probe thermometer is a MUST!!
You need 2 lights in the tank a good bright white basking bulb that keeps temps as mentioned above NO colored bulbs heat mats or rocks --- and a long tube UVB NO coils you want something like a 24" Zoo Med or Sunblaster or a Arcadia fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb or a Arcadia 12% bulb --- if the tank is 24" + in height you can use a 14% bulb from Arcadia -- those are designed for higher tanks- your going to need the UVB inside the tank and depending on the bulb you get will determine distance - middle of the tank should be 90's and cool side of the tank 80's during the day - you wants temps at nite between 65-75 - dragons like it cool and dark --
Thanks Sadie, as mentioned tank is 2 feet tall. I have the decor and an 18" uvb I will hang inside the tank. So the question remains, does the floor on the basking side need to be 95, or can a hammock/decor at the 1 foot mark being 95 suffice, obviously cooler below that? I have both digital probe and digital temp gun.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Sadie, as mentioned tank is 2 feet tall. I have the decor and an 18" uvb I will hang inside the tank. So the question remains, does the floor on the basking side need to be 95, or can a hammock/decor at the 1 foot mark being 95 suffice, obviously cooler below that? I have both digital probe and digital temp gun.
You need to upgrade the UVB for a 24" height- you need a 24" fixture preferred a zoo med sunblaster or Arcadia- the bulb should be a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb - the T 8 is not strong enough for that size of a tank--- as long as you have basking temps 95-100 on the basking side you are good- he's gonna sit where he wants for heat- the floor is fine - he has options -

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
No bulbs with color, they cause eye issues. And its okay if the basking spot is 100 and the rest is 70-80, how cold is it where you live? You shouldn’t need that many heat bulbs on, normally just the one heat bulb is enough, they do like it cold at night (no lower than 65f) if ur temps are cold have a 150watt at the basking spot, and get a 75watt for the middle of the enclosure, CHEs are only needed if ur night time temps are really cold. I have my basking spot 10 and inches from the decor and a 100watt and im getting 93-97
Temperate climate-NYC area. Ambient temps in room range from 72 in daytime summer, to 60+ night time winter.

AdamF

Hatchling Dragon
You need to upgrade the UVB for a 24" height- you need a 24" fixture preferred a zoo med sunblaster or Arcadia- the bulb should be a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a Arcadia 12% bulb - the T 8 is not strong enough for that size of a tank--- as long as you have basking temps 95-100 on the basking side you are good- he's gonna sit where he wants for heat- the floor is fine - he has options -
OK. Will do. But now the sausage fingers question: Are the bulbs easy to change?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Temperate climate-NYC area. Ambient temps in room range from 72 in daytime summer, to 60+ night time winter.
You need the middle of that tank in the 90's - hot side basking side 95-100 is what older dragons like --- if the tank is in the 70's during the day its going to make him want to sleep - that is a good nite time temp but not day - cool side should be in the 80's ------------- the UVB does get warm but not to where its going to really burn you --