• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Heat and humidity

Criss Wilson

Bearded Dragon Egg
I recently moved my terrarium setup from our dining room to the living room. For better ability with basking light placement i switched basking vs UVB light ends. Prior to moving it my humidity was in the 20-30 range on both ends, now my UVB end is 50. The basking end has one of the under lay heaters under it which I only have on at night.

Terrarium was moved to a desk top to minimize the ability of being stalked by our cat.

Should i flip the ends back how they were and see what that does or does anyone have other ideas.

For reference we have had "him" for about three weeks.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Ideally you want the UVB and basking in the same area (with the UVB tube along part of the tank, but an end placed close to the basking bulb). You may not need the night time heat - it's usually only called for if your home temps are very low at night (like 65 or lower). If you do need supplemental heat at night, you'd be better off with a CHE or a heat projector (both give heat with no light), rather than an undertank heater. :0)

Criss Wilson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ideally you want the UVB and basking in the same area (with the UVB tube along part of the tank, but an end placed close to the basking bulb). You may not need the night time heat - it's usually only called for if your home temps are very low at night (like 65 or lower). If you do need supplemental heat at night, you'd be better off with a CHE or a heat projector (both give heat with no light), rather than an undertank heater. :0)

At night i have a red night bulb that i have on a timer, day basking and UV build go off red light and under lay heat come on. I don't want to cook or freeze the little guy. What humidity range is a safe range?

Criss Wilson

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get rid of the red bulb - they cause long term eye damage and it disrupts your dragons sleep --- they need darkness to sleep unless your tank is dropping below 65 at nite you dont need heat at nite they like it cool to sleep it slows their metabolism--- also the humidity is fine at 50 you dont want it above 70 - if you need extra heat at nite get a CHE ceramic heat emitter they are heat only NO light

If the red lights are bad for them why are the included in terrarium set ups for dragons? We have the thrive 40
Please get rid of the red bulb - they cause long term eye damage and it disrupts your dragons sleep --- they need darkness to sleep unless your tank is dropping below 65 at nite you dont need heat at nite they like it cool to sleep it slows their metabolism--- also the humidity is fine at 50 you dont want it above 70 - if you need extra heat at nite get a CHE ceramic heat emitter they are heat only NO light

One more question, for now

The setup came with a swirl UVB bulb should i replace it with a t8 and if so what length

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
Sadly, the kits are profit machines, not proper care setups. The colored bulb may be appropriate for a different animal, but never for a beardie. The calci sand is potentially harmful, the compact coil (as opposed to long tube) UVB bulb is inadequate and potentially harmful, and the pellet food is crap. :-(