• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Head Tremors

Crystalndagler

Bearded Dragon Egg
My oldest boy is almost 4 years now and we have been dealing with head tremors for about a year. I do have great vet care and treatment plan, he is on calcium drops and because he wasn't wanting to eat for a period of time because of his calcium issue he has been on puree meals daily since before Christmas. I do try to feed bugs every other day but he just refuses to eat by himself. My question is about tremors, it's only his head. They come and go but more frequently they are always mild to severe. And get worse the more active he is. Has any dealt with this? His husbandry is great, lighting is good and temps too. Would love to hear from others that have dealt with this?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My oldest boy is almost 4 years now and we have been dealing with head tremors for about a year. I do have great vet care and treatment plan, he is on calcium drops and because he wasn't wanting to eat for a period of time because of his calcium issue he has been on puree meals daily since before Christmas. I do try to feed bugs every other day but he just refuses to eat by himself. My question is about tremors, it's only his head. They come and go but more frequently they are always mild to severe. And get worse the more active he is. Has any dealt with this? His husbandry is great, lighting is good and temps too. Would love to hear from others that have dealt with this?
This sounds like MBD and if your using a coil UVB this is a huge problem- please go over the husbandry in detail for UVB and surface basking temps--- dragons will not eat w/ out proper temps and UVB

Crystalndagler

Bearded Dragon Egg
This sounds like MBD and if your using a coil UVB this is a huge problem- please go over the husbandry in detail for UVB and surface basking temps--- dragons will not eat w/ out proper temps and UVB
I'm not using coil, I have the right proper lighting for sure. I have a basking light set up with his basking spot about 103ish and cool side in mid 70s. I use the reptisun 150 watt. I also have the reptizoo tube lighting set angled across where he basks.

Crystalndagler

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so lets go over placement of the brand and bulb your using please - this does make a difference
I edited my above reply, it posted before i was done. Sorry. The brands are up there in reply. Yeah the vet says the same, mbd. Im hoping to find more help with the maintenance so my boy doesn't tremor as much.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I edited my above reply, it posted before i was done. Sorry. The brands are up there in reply. Yeah the vet says the same, mbd. Im hoping to find more help with the maintenance so my boy doesn't tremor as much.
Repti Zoo bulb please replace w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 I am assuming that is what you have as far as the bulb - or a Arcadia 12% bulb those are very good bulbs -- next where is the UVB ? is it in the tank or top of screen? If its on the screen the screen needs to be a wide holed type -- fine screen like a screen door will block 30 % of the UVB rays ----you said it was angled? in the tank ? the basking surface temp I would drop to 95-100 most adult dragons do not like real hot temps and get your cool side up to lower 80's during the day

Crystalndagler

Bearded Dragon Egg
Repti Zoo bulb please replace w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 I am assuming that is what you have as far as the bulb - or a Arcadia 12% bulb those are very good bulbs -- next where is the UVB ? is it in the tank or top of screen? If its on the screen the screen needs to be a wide holed type -- fine screen like a screen door will block 30 % of the UVB rays ----you said it was angled? in the tank ? the basking surface temp I would drop to 95-100 most adult dragons do not like real hot temps and get your cool side up to lower 80's during the day
Yes it's the t5 10.0 It's inside his tank, he has a zen habitat. I will work on his temps for sure next.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes it's the t5 10.0 It's inside his tank, he has a zen habitat. I will work on his temps for sure next.
How old is the bulb another reason for the head tremors --- they should not be a yr old I recommend changing them out around 10-11 months --- also distance it needs to be directly over his basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- I too have two Zen's - the only thing that I know of that will help is the UVB --- are you giving calcium D3?

Crystalndagler

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is the bulb another reason for the head tremors --- they should not be a yr old I recommend changing them out around 10-11 months --- also distance it needs to be directly over his basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- I too have two Zen's - the only thing that I know of that will help is the UVB --- are you giving calcium D3?
The bulbs are both less then 6 months old, I keep his lights on a strict changing schedule. He is on a calcium drop from the vet since December because he showed a deficiency and it helped a little in calming his tremors. He also gets repashy calcium powder blended in his puree meals. His basking platform is 12 inches tall in his zen and the uvb is just under the top screen so it's about 12 inches distance from where he basks at.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The bulbs are both less then 6 months old, I keep his lights on a strict changing schedule. He is on a calcium drop from the vet since December because he showed a deficiency and it helped a little in calming his tremors. He also gets repashy calcium powder blended in his puree meals. His basking platform is 12 inches tall in his zen and the uvb is just under the top screen so it's about 12 inches distance from where he basks at.
Ok so now its time to call in some reinforcements since we have gone over everything that would be causing the not eating and head tremors -- we have a vet tech on here I am going to post to her and see if she can help w/ this - do you have any blood work done recently or X rays that you can post for her? Please get a new bulb that I posted and then see what happens - start there

Crystalndagler

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok so now its time to call in some reinforcements since we have gone over everything that would be causing the not eating and head tremors -- we have a vet tech on here I am going to post to her and see if she can help w/ this - do you have any blood work done recently or X rays that you can post for her? Please get a new bulb that I posted and then see what happens - start there
Awesome thank you

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

I am just confirming your T5 tube bulb, what brand is it? You had mentioned Repti Zoo? Or did you
mean Repti-sun by Zoomed? Please post a picture of it along with the box so we can just be sure it is
the correct light. There are so many light brands that closely mimic the primary brands it is frustrating.
Are you giving vitamins once per week?
Do you have a picture of the calcium drops, the bottle they come in so I can see that also?

Tracie

Crystalndagler

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

I am just confirming your T5 tube bulb, what brand is it? You had mentioned Repti Zoo? Or did you
mean Repti-sun by Zoomed? Please post a picture of it along with the box so we can just be sure it is
the correct light. There are so many light brands that closely mimic the primary brands it is frustrating.
Do you have a picture of the calcium drops, the bottle they come in so I can see that also?

Tracie
Yes its zoo med I will take pictures in the morning. We just recently bought a whole new set up hoping it will help really push uv for my sweet boy
But yes I have used the zoomed t5 ho tube light since day one with him

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes its zoo med I will take pictures in the morning. We just recently bought a whole new set up hoping it will help really push uv for my sweet boy
But yes I have used the zoomed t5 ho tube light since day one with him
How old is the UVB? Please get the info to Tracie she asked for so she can better help you -- she responds late at night

Crystalndagler

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

Tracie

Attachments

• 20230320_144058.jpg
    20230320_144058.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230320_144105.jpg
    20230320_144105.jpg
    632.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230320_144122.jpg
    20230320_144122.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3

Crystalndagler

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello,

Tracie
Here is fixture I have and the bulb i use. The bulb is about 2 weeks old I change it every six months in his tank

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230320_144442_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230320_144442_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20230320_144414_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230320_144414_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 4

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is fixture I have and the bulb i use. The bulb is about 2 weeks old I change it every six months in his tank
Good uvb- make sure your basking decor is directly under the uvb - those bulbs can be changed out approx in one yr I recommend every 10-11 months-

Crystalndagler

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is the UVB? Please get the info to Tracie she asked for so she can better help you -- she responds late at night
Just uploaded pictures for her, I had a medical procedure today so im moving slow but will also upload a video of him tremoring. I've had a radiograch done, fecals, and recently labs. After the labs she said he still was a calcium deficiency and a little dehydrated so we change his meds from once a day to twice, and he gets a 30 min soak daily for 30 days. To try and help his dehydration. He gets plenty of water mixed in his puree stuff. But she did mention those two issues were showing stress on his kidneys. He is my step sons dragon but I do 150% of his care for last few years. My step son is 20 but doesn't focus easy on his care so I took over. I'm disabled so I'm home 24 7 and have been doing everything and anything trying to help keep his tremors manageable for my sweet boy. He is a very happy guy. Lol He was over Weight for awhile before he quit really eating much in his own. Now he has lost weight and is so much more active. But the tremors do seem some worse the more active he is. He gets free roam time a few times a day for exercise and to hang out with mom aka me lol will upload video of tremors once I can. Also I have two dragons, skip the one in photos is my oldest. My other is angel a zero dragon.

Attachments

• IMG_20230319_133637_011.jpg
    IMG_20230319_133637_011.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230312_144236.jpg
    20230312_144236.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Crystalndagler

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just uploaded pictures for her, I had a medical procedure today so im moving slow but will also upload a video of him tremoring. I've had a radiograch done, fecals, and recently labs. After the labs she said he still was a calcium deficiency and a little dehydrated so we change his meds from once a day to twice, and he gets a 30 min soak daily for 30 days. To try and help his dehydration. He gets plenty of water mixed in his puree stuff. But she did mention those two issues were showing stress on his kidneys. He is my step sons dragon but I do 150% of his care for last few years. My step son is 20 but doesn't focus easy on his care so I took over. I'm disabled so I'm home 24 7 and have been doing everything and anything trying to help keep his tremors manageable for my sweet boy. He is a very happy guy. Lol He was over Weight for awhile before he quit really eating much in his own. Now he has lost weight and is so much more active. But the tremors do seem some worse the more active he is. He gets free roam time a few times a day for exercise and to hang out with mom aka me lol will upload video of tremors once I can. Also I have two dragons, skip the one in photos is my oldest. My other is angel a zero dragon.
Skip is my world, i wish I could get the tremors to stop but like our vet says it's probably not likely. Right now it's maintenance and making them manageable for him.

Attachments

• IMG_20221128_185222_239.jpg
    IMG_20221128_185222_239.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20221114_183233_386.jpg
    IMG_20221114_183233_386.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3