• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

He arrived this morning

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
7CE1E103-2A29-423E-ABC8-137517AA088E.jpeg03E94FAB-0F9B-4AE8-B6A2-D9128E454369.jpegB82C19FE-248B-4945-8A57-9E883CDFDA54.jpeg
EA680DB3-74C1-462C-A42A-C71C0CB07DA9.jpeg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh he is so cute :) he looks a little dehydrated though (wrinkles in the skin) (they dont feed them prior to shipping so that might be why) drip some water on top of snoot, you’ll watch it disappear, (they have the ability to move water through the channels in their scales to their mouths) , if i could recommend one more thing, just for now , maybe put some more objects in there so he has more of a sense of security (i know ur trying to bust out his hide and the background) handling once per day is perfectly fine, but if he runs to hide just let him.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Oh he is so cute :) he looks a little dehydrated though (wrinkles in the skin) (they dont feed them prior to shipping so that might be why) drip some water on top of snoot, you’ll watch it disappear, (they have the ability to move water through the channels in their scales to their mouths) , if i could recommend one more thing, just for now , maybe put some more objects in there so he has more of a sense of security (i know ur trying to bust out his hide and the background) handling once per day is perfectly fine, but if he runs to hide just let him.
I did drip some water when he first got here, I will do again, should I mist him?

what would you suggest object wise, wood? Rocks? Another blanket?

he’s been a little freaked so I was just leaving him to it atm, he’s spent about 45 mins on the rock at the back but now seems to be exploring.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I personally mist my beardy, but id only recommend that if you know how to not get it in his nose, most people think “oh just mist their heads and they get enough” you need to see him “swallow” or “lap” it up at least 2-3 times to know for a fact he’s getting water ( best indicators for being thirsty #1skin, #2 strands of saliva when he opens his mouth) i think the one blankie is fine, whatever you have on hand would do just fine, no need to go out and buy something (use a brick) basically just giving him more objects to obscure his view of you, maybe even put a towel over the front of the enclosure for the first day or two? Now comes the hard part of raising a dragon, learning yours specifics quirks :) what he likes vs what he hates.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
You can handle him alot the first two days (check him over) but do give him at least a week to acclimate , only handle once per day and only inside the enclosure, if he runs let him, go slow, if he runs multiple times just leave him be and don’t handle that day.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
I personally mist my beardy, but id only recommend that if you know how to not get it in his nose, most people think “oh just mist their heads and they get enough” you need to see him “swallow” or “lap” it up at least 2-3 times to know for a fact he’s getting water ( best indicators for being thirsty #1skin, #2 strands of saliva when he opens his mouth) i think the one blankie is fine, whatever you have on hand would do just fine, no need to go out and buy something (use a brick) basically just giving him more objects to obscure his view of you, maybe even put a towel over the front of the enclosure for the first day or two? Now comes the hard part of raising a dragon, learning yours specifics quirks :) what he likes vs what he hates.
Ok I’ll have a look in the garden and see what I have.
I’ve got a sheet I can place over the glass, I think he would definitely prefer that.

I really can’t wait to get to know him but I will take it slow, I’m a little nervous myself lol.

I ordered the smallest Dubias I could get (10-15mm) but they just look so big, I was going to offer some for lunch.

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you so much for the towel suggestion, within 10mins of covering glass with the sheet I peeked in and he was basking in his spot!!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Oh im glad, they’re not too hard to figure out some of them are just naturally skittish so don’t be sad if your guy is, he’ll come around, i gtg to work but I’ll check in later , have fun with ur new beardy :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He looks good and so does the tank the only thing I can see is the basking bulb needs to be swapped out for a bright white bulb --- the yellowish off white bulbs are not really good for basking --- and did you get more than one probe for temps? Also I would look at getting a digital probe hygrometer -- place on the back center wall of your tank --- a stick on can be used for ambient temps in the tank -- you can place on your cool side of the tank and on the hot side as well -- but your probe is going to give actual basking temps like you have it placed now--- you dont need to leave it there but spot check that spot where he sits every now and then ---

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Oh im glad, they’re not too hard to figure out some of them are just naturally skittish so don’t be sad if your guy is, he’ll come around, i gtg to work but I’ll check in later , have fun with ur new beardy :)
Thank you, have a good day!

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
He looks good and so does the tank the only thing I can see is the basking bulb needs to be swapped out for a bright white bulb --- the yellowish off white bulbs are not really good for basking --- and did you get more than one probe for temps? Also I would look at getting a digital probe hygrometer -- place on the back center wall of your tank --- a stick on can be used for ambient temps in the tank -- you can place on your cool side of the tank and on the hot side as well -- but your probe is going to give actual basking temps like you have it placed now--- you dont need to leave it there but spot check that spot where he sits every now and then ---
Thanks Sadie, I thought this was bright white 4E8EEF00-5BC2-4439-AB94-19AA4E95DB81.png
Could you suggest one as they don’t say if they are white or yellow.

yes I have thermometer probe in habba hut (cool side) and one on the basking spot. I also have a digital hygrometer/thermometer probe in the middle. He has knocked probe off the basking spot already lol so I might move it back a bit. Thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Sadie, I thought this was bright white View attachment 27830
Could you suggest one as they don’t say if they are white or yellow.

yes I have thermometer probe in habba hut (cool side) and one on the basking spot. I also have a digital hygrometer/thermometer probe in the middle. He has knocked probe off the basking spot already lol so I might move it back a bit. Thank you
Ok sorry the pic looks like the bulb is a yellow color so its the flash on the camera I am thinking -- your good thats what I use so they are white --- he should be a happy little camper --- his eating will probably be off for a while as he gets used to his surroundings and acclimates to his tank --- as long as hes eating some and does not quit eating your good ---

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Ok sorry the pic looks like the bulb is a yellow color so its the flash on the camera I am thinking -- your good thats what I use so they are white --- he should be a happy little camper --- his eating will probably be off for a while as he gets used to his surroundings and acclimates to his tank --- as long as hes eating some and does not quit eating your good ---
Oh ok, it doesn’t look white tho tbh, is does look a bit orangey or is that normal! He’s just had a few Dubias for lunch which he really went for and he did a poop. Thank you so much for all of your help getting everything ready and right for him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh ok, it doesn’t look white tho tbh, is does look a bit orangey or is that normal! He’s just had a few Dubias for lunch which he really went for and he did a poop. Thank you so much for all of your help getting everything ready and right for him.
I DK why that bulb would have a orangey color either I use that same bulb and mine are white - try picking up another one and see if it's the same -- it's good to keep spares on hand as you never know when they are going to blow

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
Could it be because it’s connected to the dimmer? As the wood is closer than usual to the hot bulb it probably is not at its brightest, will that make a difference to the beardie? It’s at the right temp etc. I will get another anyway, just to check it’s not a faulty bulb, as you say a spare is always handy.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Could it be because it’s connected to the dimmer? As the wood is closer than usual to the hot bulb it probably is not at its brightest, will that make a difference to the beardie? It’s at the right temp etc. I will get another anyway, just to check it’s not a faulty bulb, as you say a spare is always handy.
More than likely turn it up and see what it does

BeardieMum❤️

Juvenile Dragon
I’ll plug it straight into the socket when I’m turning lights off tonight and see. Will it make a difference if it is due to that?