• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Has Your Female Laid Infertile Eggs?

sapphira80

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a question for female beardie owners... Has your female beardie ever laid an infertile clutch? If so, how often? And how old was she?

I am a new beardie owner, and I adopted Lilly at about a year old, from a previous owner that couldn't keep her. She's about 18 months old and recently she's put on a bit of weight, which had made me curious about gravidity in bearded dragons. She had also never mated (or even been around a male according to her previous owner).

I've read a lot of conflicting information on the internet about if and when a female can lay an infertile clutch, how many eggs they might lay, etc.

sapphira80

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you in advance to ask those stopping by this thread. I'm on my phone so I couldn't add that to my original question.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wish I could help with this. My girl is going on 2 1/2 and has never laid any type of egg. I've read that they don't always lay infertile eggs. From pictures I've seen from other people it looks like they can lay whatever a normal clutch would be so I don't know 15-20 maybe?

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Typical infertile clutch is around ten or less. Think of it as flushing their system from false information. It doesn't happen often and there may be times when a female will lay eggs without a male. Most reptiles do this as a survival trait with an asexual reproduction.

EmilyIzClever

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was wondering the same thing, I have a 3 year old female bearded dragon and I've been wondering if I should always have a lay box available or if she would have already had eggs if she was going to. Or are the signs obvious enough that an owner would know they need to provide a place for the eggs?

sapphira80

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you to everyone that replied, the info was really helpful. I think my girl is just plump. She has put on weight, but no lumps or other signs, so I think she's just "developing her figure" lol.

Turkey Hunter

Bearded Dragon Egg
One of my first girls laid 18 infertiles. Also in a good clutch you can sometimes have an infertile or two. I had one girl who even when put with a male never ever developed or laid eggs. It seems to increase in frequency with old age in some.

Krog

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My Missy recently laid 28 in a 24 hr period, infertile. Total surprise to us, the vet (about a 45 days prior) said no eggs. She started digging about 2 months prior and then about two week before eggs she kinda stopped eating, and then bam... eggs. She is 3 yrs old, no males around (other than the local outside wild Southern California lizards... they can't cross breed can they?). How often will she need to lay eggs? Yearly? or multple clutches a year?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My Missy recently laid 28 in a 24 hr period, infertile. Total surprise to us, the vet (about a 45 days prior) said no eggs. She started digging about 2 months prior and then about two week before eggs she kinda stopped eating, and then bam... eggs. She is 3 yrs old, no males around (other than the local outside wild Southern California lizards... they can't cross breed can they?). How often will she need to lay eggs? Yearly? or multple clutches a year?

That's a lot of eggs. Not sure how often she will lay them, I haven't had to experience it yet.

Jade Morgan

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a question for female beardie owners... Has your female beardie ever laid an infertile clutch? If so, how often? And how old was she?

I am a new beardie owner, and I adopted Lilly at about a year old, from a previous owner that couldn't keep her. She's about 18 months old and recently she's put on a bit of weight, which had made me curious about gravidity in bearded dragons. She had also never mated (or even been around a male according to her previous owner).

I've read a lot of conflicting information on the internet about if and when a female can lay an infertile clutch, how many eggs they might lay, etc.
I’m having the same thing happen to me, it is possible for your bearded dragon to lay infertile eggs, our Liz has done it previously with her other owners. And now I think she’s ready to again...

Attachments

• D599903B-F326-4C2F-B016-FB7024D5F02D.jpeg
    D599903B-F326-4C2F-B016-FB7024D5F02D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 75

BeardieMom2

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have 2 - almost 3 yr old female dragons in separate 75 gal breeders. They have never been with a male. Our smaller girl keeps laying infertile eggs. First clutch she laid 24. 2 months later she laid 21. Now I think she’s about to lay another clutch and it’s been 3 months since her last clutch. Is it normal for a dragon to have so many infertile clutches so close together?