• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Handling help

Daxbernard

Bearded Dragon Egg
So we got pepper on October 19th. He was born on july 2nd. My son was insenctent oin getting the runt so I know handling would be rough. Gave him a week or two to get settled in. Started feeding him with thongs then moved to feeding his roaches by hand with a little gaping and puffing of the beard. When i would try to pet him he would gape and hide. I sit in front of his tank every night and talk to him. Only handled him a few times to clean his tank because every time I go to pet him he would gape and puff up. He will let me feed him a few roaches by hand but won't even let me pet him without trying to bite now. The very few times I did take him out his tank I had to chase him down to get him. He's ok with my hand in ther tank just not near him. Last night went to get him to try to get him used to handling and I had to put on gloves to get him because he was biting so much. Once I do have him out he calms down a little though last night je was a little more squeamish. Put him back in his tank and went to pet him and he went into panic and bite mode again. Even tried to give him a superworm treat with thongs and he attacked ther thongs. Do I just keep going in every night and fight to get him out to pet him or do I give him a few days to recover from the experience? Don't want to keep dramatizing him but if I give him a few days seems like the next time is worse? Help?

Beertruck

Hatchling Dragon
Its all about reptilian, getting them use to you and bonding with them/. It sucks they try to bite, but if you keep it up and keep handling them, they will get use to you and settle down. Any dragon can be tamed under the right circumstances. Keep it up!

Thomas Woosley

Hatchling Dragon
Just a quick question, My Zach is 5 months old and I was wondering how many times a day should I be taking him out and bonding with him.? Also how long and what are some of the best times to do so in everyones therory.? I have had him 1 month now and still when I have him out for like 15 mins or so he wants to try and jump or run away. Thankyou for the responces. Tom.

Thomas Woosley

Hatchling Dragon
Hello kayly, I have been doing all of that except after his dinner. I usually let him relax and from 6:00pm till lights out at 7:30pm. I do 12 on and 12 off. Zach does not hiss or beard at me and usually walks away when I try and get him out, then I keep talking to him and then I can slowly put my hand under him and get him out. lasts bout 10 to 20 mins then he wants to bolt away. I will keep it up. I will be getting mynew to me 75 gallon cleaned up and tranfering him Sunday or Monday into it. Kinda excited but then know I will have relocation stress again. But hopefully he will get thru it ok.