• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Handling and interaction questions

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
As you guys know I've had Reggie for about 2-3 months now. Let me just say... he's getting huge! That aside, I have a few questions about our long-term relationship with one another. :D

First off, I handle him about 1-2 times a week. Definitely at least once when I change out the paper towels and bathe him. Sometimes when I get off work early I'll scoop him out and we'll chat for a bit (mostly just him listening to how my day went LOL). I've noticed that he's still a little skittish about me picking him up when I do the once a week maintenance, but if I handle him the next day he's pretty open to it. If I wait a few days he goes back to his skittish self. He doesn't throw himself around but he does run around a bit, but I feel he's just basically submitting. Should I be concerned with this? I want him to be tame and enjoy our time together, and to learn that I don't want to hurt or eat him. :D What's the best amount to handle him?

Tougher question, in my opinion: Right now he is kind of in a higher traffic area; in the front living room but next to the door that leads into the kitchen. Me and my wife are somewhat night owls, so even after lights out for him I'm sure he can hear noises that interrupt his rest.

We've talked about moving him into our spare bedroom, along with my pacman, so I can have a room for both of them. My concern is that he won't be a "part of the action" during the day, and some owners have told me that this can get them quite moody. A lady I have bought roaches from locally told me they literally put their dragon back in their front room because he was always upset in their upstairs bedroom from being lonely. Too anecdotal for me. What do you all think?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The more you handle him the less squirrely he will be about it. The main thing to be weary of is how you are picking him up. You should always scoop him up from the front by sliding your hand under his chest and belly and with your free hand you will find it better if you support him under his tail. By doing this it will make his feel less out of balance and unstable which will make him less likely to squirm which in my experience they squirm because they are scared they are falling and are just trying to gain footing. I also usually bring them straight to my chest after picking them up because it seems to give Mungi a better sense of security there.

As far a where his enclosure is placed I dont think it being in a high traffic area or not will make a huge difference. Mungi is kept in a spare room we have an
lot of our creatures in but it is still a traffic area as we are in and out of most of our rooms all through the day ans night. Our Tarantulas are also in his room and they are fed at night because it is closer to their natural feeding btime nand I hagve negver even seen Mungi open his eyes to see what we were doing. When it's his bedtime he flops and snoozes wherever he is at at the moment not matter what position he is in and is out till morning....lol...wish I could do that!:eek:

Hope that helps!
Enjoy!!