• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gulping

martin.nutter.54

Bearded Dragon Egg
The beardie I've just taken off a friend cos they weren't looking after it properly keeps gulping. Why Is this?

Also they didn't even have a uvb light just a red and white heat bulb, I believe that it was like this for months. Also a big water bowl was in the Viv too filled with cloudy dirty water. No idea how long it had been there. I've only had it since yesterday. It's in a nice clean Viv now. There's no problem with eating. Is there anything I need to look out for?

Never seen an unhealthy one before as my 2 are really healthy and not sure what to look for

julescoffman

Juvenile Dragon
Mine does the gulping thing whenever he's had enough of bath time,maybe irritated? Not sure..or could be upper respiratory problems..i doubt that helped you much,but that's only time mine does it,when he's ready to get out of tub.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dexter does that too. I often thought it's a reaction to a movement around her. When she gulps she stands with her front legs straight and her head up a bit almost to make herself seem scarier or something. It's like a nicer version of puffing her beard out.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
When you say gulping, do you mean gulping down his water because that would mean he's probably dehydrated especially if he hasn't had access to clean water. It could have been a long time and he's just thirsty. My dragons swallow frequently during bath time. That's what they do to take in enough air and bloat their bellies out to float on the water. Also if the he is emaciated or anything monitor his poo if it comes out like it went in it generally means they have a parasite and cannot absorb and break down their food. You would then consult a vet for dewormer. Its usually by how many grams they weigh. Hope this helps!