• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Growth

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi there guys! I finally got around to measuring Odahviing and I have pictures! She kept moving her head but I estimate her to be around 16-17 inches now. I got her in February of 2016 and I'm not exactly sure how old she was at the time but she couldn't have been more than 6 months I would imagine though I know different individuals often grow at their own pace. When I got her she was probably around 7 inches and could sit in my hand pretty easily. I am 99.9% sure she is female which I checked early on. Do females stay smaller than males? My main question is do you think she's going to get any larger and if so how much? It doesn't matter to me but I want to start planning early in case I'll eventually have to get her a larger tank. I can't confirm this but I'd at least heard rumors of beardies reaching 30 and even 36 inches but from what I've read, a 20 inch male can be considered large. In any case does she look good for sure size? Bulked up okay? The colder months can be a lean time for her appetite and energy despite how much I try to keep the animals warm. Note that this is a standard inch tape measure. Could we safely call her an adult?

Attachments

• Odahviing size reference.JPG
    Odahviing size reference.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Odahviing size reference 2.JPG
    Odahviing size reference 2.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 30

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
yes, she is an adult and wont be getting any bigger now. Thats not a bad size though, females arent usually much smaller than males, though males may be bigger around the neck and base of tail. There is a variety of dragon called a German Giant, they may reach 30inches plus, but they are not common.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
yes, she is an adult and wont be getting any bigger now. Thats not a bad size though, females arent usually much smaller than males, though males may be bigger around the neck and base of tail. There is a variety of dragon called a German Giant, they may reach 30inches plus, but they are not common.

Thanks Beardedhippy! That's good to know and I can rest assured now she won't need any huge accomidations in future. I've seen some dragons with heads the size of your fist but I'm guessing those were males at least. And the German giant sounds awesome! I need to go look that up now!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I think it's just depends on the dragon how big they are going to get and sex doesn't factor in. My male is much smaller length wise than my females and they all have had the same set up.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I think it's just depends on the dragon how big they are going to get and sex doesn't factor in. My male is much smaller length wise than my females and they all have had the same set up.

Thanks PatsyB! That's good! I'm glad they'll be happy in most reasonable habitats and grow almost accordingly at a good pace. In December I think I'll even switch her into my collared lizard's 55 and him into her current 50. He won't care and She'll have a lot more room that way :)

seadevilfl

Bearded Dragon Egg
My dragon is 2 1/2 yrs now and just reached 24”. It’s a male and just shed again. His growth has slowed considerably, but not sure he’s done yet.

I took him to a reptile show recently and had many comments about his size. I think 18-20” is common in captivity. Mine does live outside and gets natural sunlight 65% of the time.

Allthingsterrarium

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My dragon is 2 1/2 yrs now and just reached 24”. It’s a male and just shed again. His growth has slowed considerably, but not sure he’s done yet.

I took him to a reptile show recently and had many comments about his size. I think 18-20” is common in captivity. Mine does live outside and gets natural sunlight 65% of the time.

Wow that's amazing! It gets way too cold around here to have them outdoors but it certainly makes sense that natural sunlight would contribute a lot.