• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greens/Vegetables Schedule

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,
My 6mo Randy is doing really great, with strong appetite (~20 dubia every day), but I want to know what vegetable schedule do you stick with?

I add these:
- Carrot: Once a week
- Carrot green/carrot top: 4 times a week, he's crazy about that
- Pumpkin: Once a week
- Apple (no peel, no seeds): Once a week
- Green list salad: every day.

What else can be added and how often? I found that pumpkin leads to runny stool and it's not good to feed pumpkin and carrot often.
I know about website with appropriate vegetables for bearded dragons, just wanted to know what do you prefer and on what schedule?
Thank you :)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello,
My 6mo Randy is doing really great, with strong appetite (~20 dubia every day), but I want to know what vegetable schedule do you stick with?

I add these:

What else can be added and how often? I found that pumpkin leads to runny stool and it's not good to feed pumpkin and carrot often.
I know about website with appropriate vegetables for bearded dragons, just wanted to know what do you prefer and on what schedule?
Are you feeding squash? Zucchini yellow and butternut-- green beans -- dandelion greens or fresh dandelions from out side w/ NO PESTICIDES -- prickly pear cactus can be ordered off Amazon --- they are big leaves and a great staple-- pumpkin is usually fed to make them go to the bathroom - anything w/ a lot of water content will give runny stools -- like watermelon etc--- you can feed strawberries blueberries raspberries but do it sparingly - especially the blueberries they are real high in sugar--
I basically feed kale/ collard/ turnip/ arugula/squash changed up/ sweet potato raw and shredded w/ cheese grater - fruit is added every so often -- my dragons are real picky and I have yet to find something they really go for - they wont eat the bee pollen -- Blaze is the only one that will actually eat from the salad bowl w/ out a worm in it -- Hiccup he only eats the veggies when a silk worm or super is grabbed at the same time - they both will not eat meal worms wax worms or BSFL -- the worms they will eat are the horn butter super and silk which is a staple feeder-

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello,

I add these:

Hi; we rescue & rehome; so I’m happy to help. First of all a Beardie 0-4mnths old needs proteins 4-5 times a day alongside the plate of greens/veggies to munch on all day. A 6 mnth old needs feeding of proteins 3times a day alongside a plate of veggies/greens always. Do crickets & Dubia roaches those are the best. When he turns 9mnths u can feed twice a day & after he turns a year old u feed proteins once/day 15-30 Dubias/crickets a mix or one or the other but crickets are very good for them too. However always the plate of fresh greens/veggies forever & everyday, if u dotm introduce him to the everyday veggies/greens he will ever ever eat them when he’s older. After a year u may add superworms here and there. The plate of Everyday veggies/greeens should consist of the following: mustard/collard greens, yellow squash, butternut squash, endives, green beans & snap peas. I wud do a plate of 2-3 of each cut up to size. Place it on the cold side & switch it out after 3-4 hours or so so it’s fresh & not wilted. They love the mustard greens, the yellow squash has lots of calcium in it too. As far as Fruits; as treats a few times a week in addition to all else the best ones are blueberries, papaya & mangoes. But in moderation coz sugar is not good for them. Please omit the carrots or do it once a week; they are high in vitamin “A” which is toxic for them. Salad provides water no nutrition & certain ones are bad & pumpkin is not an everyday feeder, so I wud stop the pumpkin. Stick the the above & he will be a happy healthy Beardie. Also remember to switch out the Reptisun 10.0 T5 long tubular UVB light religiously every 6Mnths to prevent MBD; this is the best Uvb and only use clear basking bulbs (zoomed is gr8) never ever use colored or coiled ones.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hello,

I add these:

My beardie hates salad , but when she does eat her salad it contains hibiscus leaves/flower(her favorite) , dinosaur kale, banana bits, a couple yellow dandelions, red bell pepper(the only red thing she’ll eat) ,thin carrot discs, 3 blueberries , I usually put bee pollen a little calcium sprinkle and a dash of multivitamin, and I usually spritz it with water at the end.

Rwtf8

Hatchling Dragon
Are you feeding squash? Zucchini yellow and butternut-- green beans -- dandelion greens or fresh dandelions from out side w/ NO PESTICIDES -- prickly pear cactus can be ordered off Amazon --- they are big leaves and a great staple-- pumpkin is usually fed to make them go to the bathroom - anything w/ a lot of water content will give runny stools -- like watermelon etc--- you can feed strawberries blueberries raspberries but do it sparingly - especially the blueberries they are real high in sugar--
I basically feed kale/ collard/ turnip/ arugula/squash changed up/ sweet potato raw and shredded w/ cheese grater - fruit is added every so often -- my dragons are real picky and I have yet to find something they really go for - they wont eat the bee pollen -- Blaze is the only one that will actually eat from the salad bowl w/ out a worm in it -- Hiccup he only eats the veggies when a silk worm or super is grabbed at the same time - they both will not eat meal worms wax worms or BSFL -- the worms they will eat are the horn butter super and silk which is a staple feeder-
That's funny thing but in my country "squash" is something unknown and not popular at all :) Is that just a pumpkin? Sorry for these stupid question

So, I've added to the list:

Carrot Greens - Always
Salat - Always
Collard Greens - Always
Dandelion Greens - Always
Mustard Greens - Always

Carrot - Occasionally
Apple - Occasionally
Pumpkin - Occasionally
Blueberry - Occasionally
Raspberry, Strawberry - Occasionally

How does it look now?

He's really crazy about carrot greens and pumpkins, but the last one is not good on often basis.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's funny thing but in my country "squash" is something unknown and not popular at all :) Is that just a pumpkin? Sorry for these stupid question

So, I've added to the list:

Carrot Greens - Always
Salat - Always
Collard Greens - Always
Dandelion Greens - Always
Mustard Greens - Always

Carrot - Occasionally
Apple - Occasionally
Pumpkin - Occasionally
Blueberry - Occasionally
Raspberry, Strawberry - Occasionally

How does it look now?

He's really crazy about carrot greens and pumpkins, but the last one is not good on often basis.
Pumpkin is a natural laxative that is usually fed to dragons that are impacted -- raw shredded sweet potato is good to feed to keep them regular - here is a website to go off of ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
turnip greens is good staple feeder as well

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
My beardie hates salad , but when she does eat her salad it contains hibiscus leaves/flower(her favorite) , dinosaur kale, banana bits, a couple yellow dandelions, red bell pepper(the only red thing she’ll eat) ,thin carrot discs, 3 blueberries , I usually put bee pollen a little calcium sprinkle and a dash of multivitamin, and I usually spritz it with water at the end.
Hi please DONOT mix the herptivite vitamin & calcium together. Only sprinkle calcium (REPCAL) 3-4 times a week/once per day & on a non calcium day u do the HERPTIVITE vitamin powder, that’s the vitamin to use please follow the veggies & greens that skybug and I suggested. Salad is Not good, kale in minimal amounts & omit carrot it’s high in vitamin A which is toxic; so feed minimally or remove all togheter. Do; mustard greens, yellow squash ( it is loaded in calcium), butternut squash, endives & green beans & snap peas. Do 2-3 of each mixed togehter. Blueberries are good 2-3 times a week u can add papaya & mangoe but only a few times a week. Also if the Beardie is fussy about greens/veggies using bee pollen is good or soaps dressing but minimally on the dressing them stop it. But def do proteins too liek crickets & Dubias & some superworms if he’s over a year old.

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
Hi; we rescue & rehome; so I’m happy to help. First of all a Beardie 0-4mnths old needs proteins 4-5 times a day alongside the plate of greens/veggies to munch on all day. A 6 mnth old needs feeding of proteins 3times a day alongside a plate of veggies/greens always. Do crickets & Dubia roaches those are the best. When he turns 9mnths u can feed twice a day & after he turns a year old u feed proteins once/day 15-30 Dubias/crickets a mix or one or the other but crickets are very good for them too. However always the plate of fresh greens/veggies forever & everyday, if u dotm introduce him to the everyday veggies/greens he will ever ever eat them when he’s older. After a year u may add superworms here and there. The plate of Everyday veggies/greeens should consist of the following: mustard/collard greens, yellow squash, butternut squash, endives, green beans & snap peas. I wud do a plate of 2-3 of each cut up to size. Place it on the cold side & switch it out after 3-4 hours or so so it’s fresh & not wilted. They love the mustard greens, the yellow squash has lots of calcium in it too. As far as Fruits; as treats a few times a week in addition to all else the best ones are blueberries, papaya & mangoes. But in moderation coz sugar is not good for them. Please omit the carrots or do it once a week; they are high in vitamin “A” which is toxic for them. Salad provides water no nutrition & certain ones are bad & pumpkin is not an everyday feeder, so I wud stop the pumpkin. Stick the the above & he will be a happy healthy Beardie. Also remember to switch out the Reptisun 10.0 T5 long tubular UVB light religiously every 6Mnths to prevent MBD; this is the best Uvb and only use clear basking bulbs (zoomed is gr8) never ever use colored or coiled ones.
Mine is five months old. I’ve placed greens/vegs in daily for the 3 months since I got him as a baby & he ate a few pieces here & there while I hand fed but now will not & has never gone to the dish. Ive put repti worms in but he didnt want them until I picked them out & put on separate dish. I assumed when he aged, he would switch himself over?

I’ve varied different greens, veggies & fruit. He is not interested. I’ve gone to the dried veggie mix found in pet stores bcuz the other is wilted in two days in the fridge & he doesn’t eat it anyway. He will go to dish & eat the flukers dragon diet wet food but not when its mixed with greens/veggies. So how do I get him to eat them? Thanx!