• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Green Poop??

Bryce Anthony

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
So the last couple of times Patricia has pooped, I've noticed it was a dark green rather than it's usual dark brown.
I ordered crickets online recently and accidentally bought them too small. At the pet store I just ask for medium or large so when the website asked me to pick a size in inches, I thought 1/2 inch sounded right. Not even close. So for a few days, she was mostly eating just lettuce and super worms as she showed no interest in crickets of that size. I've since returned to the pet store so she's back to enjoying her daily crickets again.
The only other change in her diet recently is that I bought some pellet food for her so she could get all the fruit and veggie nutrition she needs without me having to get her to eat the variety of greens I could be buying for her. So she has been eating that (only a little bit every day as she usually tries to just pick out the lettuce from the food bowl) for about a week or so.
So should I be concerned about the green poop or is this normal when she's eating less crickets and more greens??

Here's a picture of the pellets I've been feeding her, if that helps answer my question at all.
pellets.jpg

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Just like with humans, what we eat can affect what color the stool is. My beardies sometimes have brown and sometimes green stools. I haven't questioned it too far, I assumed it was ok.

Bryce Anthony

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay, cool. That was I thought at first. I just thought I'd make sure. I get a little paranoid when it comes to her health. As for the pellets, is this a good idea or would I be better off just putting in the extra effort and buying different greens? She definitely prefers the actual lettuce to the pellets.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, cool. That was I thought at first. I just thought I'd make sure. I get a little paranoid when it comes to her health. As for the pellets, is this a good idea or would I be better off just putting in the extra effort and buying different greens? She definitely prefers the actual lettuce to the pellets.
I've always said that the best thing for your beardie is fresh veggies, not the pellets.

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
i feed my dragon rep cal pellets but i mix it in with his veggies and not just give him the pellets. I do this because at least he gets all the nutrients together and not jus 1. Maybe this will help him/her with the green poop. Some people don't feed the pellets, but I do feed him the pellets just in case he may get something that he doesn't get from the protein diet and vegetable diet that i feed him. Maybe you should take the pellets out of his/her diet until his poop goes back to regular

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've been using the RepCal Pellets for years, for both juvenile & adult & as Aleena mentioned about stool coloration is correct. When using these pellets the stool is generally green. One thing that I want to mention, those or any other Pellets should NEVER be fed DRY. It takes too much moisture out of their system to moisten them enough for digestion & can very quickly lead to dehydration, whether you are adding them to greens or not. It works very well to add water to them, just enough to swell & soften them right through, then drain fully. Too wet & they have trouble picking them up, won't stick to their tongue & they can quickly lose interest. Moistening them also provides ample hydration for your BD.

bb66

Bearded Dragon Egg
I too have experienced the colored poop, is quite normal. I use those pellets all the time, too. My Bd loves them & will pick through salad to get to them. They are a good source of nutrition & just about all the multi-vitamins that you find in Herptivite.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
i feed my dragon rep cal pellets but i mix it in with his veggies and not just give him the pellets. I do this because at least he gets all the nutrients together and not jus 1. Maybe this will help him/her with the green poop. Some people don't feed the pellets, but I do feed him the pellets just in case he may get something that he doesn't get from the protein diet and vegetable diet that i feed him. Maybe you should take the pellets out of his/her diet until his poop goes back to regular
When I do use dragon bites, I mix it in with the veggies.

Bryce Anthony

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I've been mixing the pellets with her daily lettuce and making sure to moisten them up for her. I check on them in the afternoon to make sure they don't get too dried out. I've been meaning to start buying some different greens to add to the bowl as well. Just haven't gotten around to it. I'm relieved to know that the green poop is something others have seen with the pellets as well.

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
I've been using the RepCal Pellets for years, for both juvenile & adult & as Aleena mentioned about stool coloration is correct. When using these pellets the stool is generally green. One thing that I want to mention, those or any other Pellets should NEVER be fed DRY. It takes too much moisture out of their system to moisten them enough for digestion & can very quickly lead to dehydration, whether you are adding them to greens or not. It works very well to add water to them, just enough to swell & soften them right through, then drain fully. Too wet & they have trouble picking them up, won't stick to their tongue & they can quickly lose interest. Moistening them also provides ample hydration for your BD.

Are Repcal pellets a worthwhile investment? :) I've never tried pellets for my BD

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Are Repcal pellets a worthwhile investment? :) I've never tried pellets for my BD
They shouldn't be used as a replacement for veggies or live food, but can add nutrition to your BD's diet. Especially if you're just feeding collard greens and not a variety of greens it would be a good idea to mix them in.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have heard of people having trouble with their BDs taking to them, mine didn't, all 5 that I have used them for, readily took to them. The only problems that I have had is color, a few of mine will pick through & only eat the green ones, leaving the red & brown ones behind. When that happens, I feed those to the feeders as gutload & they wind up getting them anyway ;) . Which leads to the next thing I was going to say, if your BD doesn't like them, then you can use them as a gutload & they aren't a complete waste. There are always more Green ones than the red & brown, but I tend to watch for when the containers are mostly Green, then buy 2-4 containers at a time. The first time I opened the container, they smelled so good (Fruity), I just about ate them myself :p .

EDIT: They are are super substitute to have on hand, for when you happen to temporarily run out of Prey or Greens too, because they are a good source of protein & when moistened are a very good source of hydration, plus they are fortified with Calcium & Multi-Vitamins.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I have heard of people having trouble with their BDs taking to them, mine didn't, all 5 that I have used them for, readily took to them. The only problems that I have had is color, a few of mine will pick through & only eat the green ones, leaving the red & brown ones behind. When that happens, I feed those to the feeders as gutload & they wind up getting them anyway ;) . Which leads to the next thing I was going to say, if your BD doesn't like them, then you can use them as a gutload & they aren't a complete waste. There are always more Green ones than the red & brown, but I tend to watch for when the containers are mostly Green, then buy 2-4 containers at a time. The first time I opened the container, they smelled so good (Fruity) I just about ate them myself :p .
Ewwwww! LOL!

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
see the pet store around me told me i HAD to have the pellets for my dragon though i did not believe them. i may pick up a bottel and see if Kyuubi likes them. he's not to much of a green eater so far as i can tell.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
see the pet store around me told me i HAD to have the pellets for my dragon though i did not believe them. i may pick up a bottel and see if Kyuubi likes them. he's not to much of a green eater so far as i can tell.
This post has been modified slightly from the original post to show that these are the opinions of myself, and not of the station :p
If you're using the veggie vitamins they aren't a necessity, I'm pretty sure, but as germ stated they do have an awful lot of good stuff in them. I would not substitute either live prey or fresh veggies for them because I've heard controversial information about them. I know people that all they feed their dragon is pellets and I wouldn't think it would be good either.

Edit: Just my personal opinion!

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I know, I know... they're full of everything they need. Cass would eat them, but she'll eat anything... she was my only dragon to take to them. I could very well be being silly and ridiculous. And finicky. And maybe I've been obsessing over their eating habits since I'm trying to get Cleo healthy again, and it's near impossible to force feed dragon bites. I should just strike everything from record. Ignore me :p

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
I have heard of people having trouble with their BDs taking to them, mine didn't, all 5 that I have used them for, readily took to them. The only problems that I have had is color, a few of mine will pick through & only eat the green ones, leaving the red & brown ones behind. When that happens, I feed those to the feeders as gutload & they wind up getting them anyway ;) . Which leads to the next thing I was going to say, if your BD doesn't like them, then you can use them as a gutload & they aren't a complete waste. There are always more Green ones than the red & brown, but I tend to watch for when the containers are mostly Green, then buy 2-4 containers at a time. The first time I opened the container, they smelled so good (Fruity), I just about ate them myself :p .

EDIT: They are are super substitute to have on hand, for when you happen to temporarily run out of Prey or Greens too, because they are a good source of protein & when moistened are a very good source of hydration, plus they are fortified with Calcium & Multi-Vitamins.

Thanks Germ i think i will buy some for Willow to try. She is very fussy with her vegetables and only ever eats collard greens (and they have to be dark and completely fresh) or she won't eat them! I normally gut-load with collard greens too so i'd like to give them a go to add more variety to her diet :)

jessica domke

Juvenile Dragon
yes, i also feed my beardie & have always fed my beardie pellets, sept they're fluker's something or other. can't think of the name & he's always liked em. i also do as germ said & mist them a lil & let em get a lil soggy b4 feeding 2 my beardie. i 2 feed the crickets the pellets 4 gutloading. as a word of caution, u kept meantioning u feed ur beardie lettuce...lettuce is 1 of the worst greens 2 be feeding ur beardie. it has a very, very low nutritional value & can make a dragon's poo a lil runnier than normal. lettuce is 1 of the foods 2 stay away from 4 a bd. i wud advise using collard greens, mustard greens, kale(on occasion), turnip greens, escarole & endive 4 greens.

Bryce Anthony

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well that's disappointing. I didn't realize it was so poor in nutrition. I just bought some dandelion greens yesterday and i'll try to pick up mustard and collard greens soon as well (I only mention those two because I'm sure I've seen them at my grocery store. I'll look around for the rest too.). Considering how much she loves her lettuce, I'm sure switching won't be too difficult. Wish I had known that from the start though. Thanks for the heads up.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Red leaf lettuce is still pretty high in nutrition, it's iceberg you should stay away from