• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

??Gravid Female

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
I have a female beardie that is about 4-5 years old, she is housed with my male that is younger not sure on age but he is smaller than her. Just curious can they still mate if he is smaller somewhat in body size? My females been packing on the weight her belly is looking pretty large. She's been digging/scratching at the news paper (substrate) for two days here and there. I put a small box of sand/ top soil in her cage but she hasn't touched it. And she is not wanting to eat much either. Also she doesn't look super gut loaded like other gravid females yet. I am confused as to whether she's gravid or not. Any input would be greatly welcomed!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I wondered that same question. My boy is smaller in body than my female but almost as long as she is and I get nervous when they are next to each other. Last night he came up along side her on the couch and licked her neck quite a few times and she was eyeing him! I don't have them housed together though. My boy also jumped right at the cat and licked her nose so I think he was just loving everyone last night, LOL!

From your description, it sounds like everything I've read about being gravid. I read that if you run your finger down the middle of her belly you could feel the eggs.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
I do feel lumps and bumps but not a ton, she's not wanting to eat much and I'm worried that it could be from stress. My male even though he's smaller he is very dominant! Lulu is scratching at my wood floors today so she's really confusing me.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
You need a ten gallon filled with about 3-4 inches of sand. Right now she is looking for a laying area. She needs it soon or she may hurt herself holding them in. Leave her alone in their until she loses the belly, at that point feed her alot because she is going to need it, once the eggs are out put her back jusy incase she has more than one clutch. Male beardies are usually smaller in body size anyways. Careful with your dragons Patsy

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You need a ten gallon filled with about 3-4 inches of sand. Right now she is looking for a laying area. She needs it soon or she may hurt herself holding them in. Leave her alone in their until she loses the belly, at that point feed her alot because she is going to need it, once the eggs are out put her back jusy incase she has more than one clutch. Male beardies are usually smaller in body size anyways. Careful with your dragons Patsy

I'm keeping an eye on them. Right now they spend less than 5 minutes next to each other. Luci just gives everything a lick, he is a very busy guy he's got places to go and things to see LOL!

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Leave her alone, she isnt going to lay when being watched. Just give her some time alone with occasional pettings so she doesnt forget you. once her stomach shrinks feed het a large meal and put the eggs in the incubator.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
Question, I don't think this is normal my Lulu today started what seems like having hiccups and occasionally opening mouth very wide is this normal for a gravid female?

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
I'm taking her and Quasimodo to the vet Friday, I believe she has an upper respiratory infection. My male is going to have to be house separately because he is stealing the basking spots from her I noticed.

ilovebeardies

Juvenile Dragon
She started this, this morning.

Attachments

• WP_20140605_012.jpg
    WP_20140605_012.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
WOW, she really did start this morning! Good luck!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I'm really not sure, I haven't had to go through this...yet.

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Wow that looks so snug hehe :) neva seen a puc that that b4 thats awsum thanks for sharing that 1. Hope all goes well :)