• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

gravid beardie glass surfing

pickles#1

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, new to this forum! Our bearded dragon Pickles is getting ready to lay some eggs (this will be her 3rd clutch) and she is glass surfing more than usual. She has laid (and brumated) in her cave before so i think she's comfortable there. I wonder if I should put fabric over the front of her enclosure during the day to maybe chill her out a bit? (we have a big zen habitat with all the proper lights etc) If anyone has experience with this let me know thank you! Meg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi, new to this forum! Our bearded dragon Pickles is getting ready to lay some eggs (this will be her 3rd clutch) and she is glass surfing more than usual. She has laid (and brumated) in her cave before so i think she's comfortable there. I wonder if I should put fabric over the front of her enclosure during the day to maybe chill her out a bit? (we have a big zen habitat with all the proper lights etc) If anyone has experience with this let me know thank you! Meg
Are you offering her a dig box? If not , you can get a tupperwear with a lid (cut a whole just big enough for her) put damp not wet not moist “play sand” it’s important that its labeled “play sand” . in there she’ll feel more comfortable and may lay, monitor her for any further symptoms, (she could possibly be egg bound) Definitely put a towel over the front of her tank and keep the door shut (still check on her) , she needs minimal stimulation, is she eating and pooping right now?

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I don’t know much about breeding or anything like that but I do love my brag on (he is 3 months old and on me right know) welcome to the fourm you will love it here.

pickles#1

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are you offering her a dig box? If not , you can get a tupperwear with a lid (cut a whole just big enough for her) put damp not wet not moist “play sand” it’s important that its labeled “play sand” . in there she’ll feel more comfortable and may lay, monitor her for any further symptoms, (she could possibly be egg bound) Definitely put a towel over the front of her tank and keep the door shut (still check on her) , she needs minimal stimulation, is she eating and pooping right now?
hi thx for the reply! i haven't done a dig box as she has already had a cpl cluches of eggs (non fertilized) in her cave ( i have sand as a substrate). maybe i cld try an actual dig box...do all dragons glass surf before laying? i want to make sure she's not stressed..

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
hi thx for the reply! i haven't done a dig box as she has already had a cpl cluches of eggs (non fertilized) in her cave ( i have sand as a substrate). maybe i cld try an actual dig box...do all dragons glass surf before laying? i want to make sure she's not stressed..
It does sound like shes a little stressed, if she keeps this up id seek a vets opinions and maybe get an xray and see if if shes eggbound, in the meantime I understand she’s layed for you before in the cave ,but in my opinion and taking care of female lizards in the past-she needs a box that feels like something you cant get into, even if they arnt fertiliized its her instinct to seek a proper laying chamber, lizards ive had in the past paced back an forth in their enclosures (even though i had moist sand in rut like spot) untill I added a chamber of sorts for them, how has her past clutches been? Have the shells been fully formed or were there odd looking ones?

pickles#1

Bearded Dragon Egg
It does sound like shes a little stressed, if she keeps this up id seek a vets opinions and maybe get an xray and see if if shes eggbound, in the meantime I understand she’s layed for you before in the cave ,but in my opinion and taking care of female lizards in the past-she needs a box that feels like something you cant get into, even if they arnt fertiliized its her instinct to seek a proper laying chamber, lizards ive had in the past paced back an forth in their enclosures (even though i had moist sand in rut like spot) untill I added a chamber of sorts for them, how has her past clutches been? Have the shells been fully formed or were there odd looking ones?
ok yes maybe i’ll try a laying box this time - her first clutch had quite a few fully formed eggs (i got her from a rescue and she was housed with another dragon, they thought they were both males - i was very surprised when she laid eggs the first time!) i think one was fertilized in that first clutch and i tried to keep it warm etc but no luck...last cluches have been pretty odd shaped eggs/none fertilized...thx again for the info!