• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gravid and only layed one egg

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone,

Been quite awhile since I’ve logged in. I’ve run into a situation with my Sammy. She is about 1 yr and 3 months. She started scratching around her tank a lot, and on Monday she layed an egg. I added some moist play sand to her cave and she dug it all out. I then provided a large dig box. She scratches in there a lot but has not layed anymore more. Today, I’ve put her in a large tote with play sand and a heat lamp and covering 3/4 of the top for privacy. She’s going to town digging, so hopefully she finds it more appropriate for laying. I’m worried that it’s been since Monday. I’m not familiar at all with laying as she is my first dragon. I’ve had her since she was a baby. I can’t get the answer I’m looking for on google. My question is, how long is too long for her to hold onto the eggs before it is dangerous? How long will it take her to lay them? Any tips on how to help her would be great if you have experienced. Thank you in advance.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ive read They can actually lay eggs over a two month period , ur in for the long haul unfortunately , if she hasn’t mated they usually come out sooner and easier, dont push to much on her tummy, and if she’s having a hard time digging a den it’s recommended you start one for her. If ur calcium and husbandry were spot on before she started laying eggs everything should be fine.

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
Ive read They can actually lay eggs over a two month period , ur in for the long haul unfortunately , if she hasn’t mated they usually come out sooner and easier, dont push to much on her tummy, and if she’s having a hard time digging a den it’s recommended you start one for her. If ur calcium and husbandry were spot on before she started laying eggs everything should be fine.
Thank you for the reply! So last night she started to strain in her tank so right away I moved her back to her box. She was able to lay and had 28. She is so drained this morning and laying squished under her heat lamp. I didn’t realize what a toll it would take but makes sense. She’s lost a lot of weight. She did eat bugs today and letting her bask before a bath and some veggies. Now I’m curious how long it takes to recover and what I can do to help her aside from extra food and calcium and staying hydrated. . Poor babes

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
28 nice, shes very healthy to be producing that many, do you have pictures? Awe poor girl, give her extra treats as recommended.

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
28 nice, shes very healthy to be producing that many, do you have pictures? Awe poor girl, give her extra treats as recommended.
She’s starting to perk up a little. Mostly been basking and sleeping and not eating much. Hopefully her appetite comes back soon. Here’s her in her box after laying and one now of her hanging out. She wouldn’t really sit up and laid flat most of the day. But now she’s coming around. I will definitely give extra treats.

Attachments

• A437C0C8-9F14-4666-8029-3EFD257DD115.jpeg
    A437C0C8-9F14-4666-8029-3EFD257DD115.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
  • 84BEB237-C137-4F85-BD00-E069EB6E868D.jpeg
    84BEB237-C137-4F85-BD00-E069EB6E868D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 84

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Did she get a bath after laying? That might make her feel better.