• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gravid after mating once??

Fernfronds

Hatchling Dragon
So we had an accident a few days ago. I had Zola and Apollo out in the living room to play and I left the room to go grab them some dubias. When I came back, he was on top of her and they were mating. It was too late for me to break it up, they were already pretty far into the deed. I've been keeping my fingers crossed and hoping she didn't conceive. I was planning on breeding Apollo, but I was going to find him a different female, so I'm not too happy about this. Neither one of them has brumated since being with me and they aren't at the size I'd like them to be either. I should have been more careful [emoji20] there was no head bobbing going on so I thought it'd be safe to walk away for a minute. Also Apollo was on the couch and Zo was across the room on the floor but apparently he darted to her as soon as I walked away.

Zola has been eating a lot more the past few days and is looking pretty plump in her lower belly area. Should I be expecting babies or is there a chance that she isn't gravid after a successful mating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fernfronds

Hatchling Dragon
Maybe she's just getting chunky??? (Fingers crossed lol) I have given her a lot of superworms this week.

fe2b141d115b8190b27fc3ff766c24fb.jpg
9bbe4b1b5f2faa46e4ccd121e9b7164e.jpg

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So we had an accident a few days ago. I had Zola and Apollo out in the living room to play and I left the room to go grab them some dubias. When I came back, he was on top of her and they were mating. It was too late for me to break it up, they were already pretty far into the deed. I've been keeping my fingers crossed and hoping she didn't conceive. I was planning on breeding Apollo, but I was going to find him a different female, so I'm not too happy about this. Neither one of them has brumated since being with me and they aren't at the size I'd like them to be either. I should have been more careful [emoji20] there was no head bobbing going on so I thought it'd be safe to walk away for a minute. Also Apollo was on the couch and Zo was across the room on the floor but apparently he darted to her as soon as I walked away.

Zola has been eating a lot more the past few days and is looking pretty plump in her lower belly area. Should I be expecting babies or is there a chance that she isn't gravid after a successful mating?

Well that is unfortunate for your Zola :( I guess now you have learned that they should not be free at the same time especially if you have to leave the room..
If the deed was done she is most likely gravid, and the process with either result in eggs or slugs or a combo of both..and now she most likely will lay clutches more frequently.
Since this is a un planned encounter if she lays I would cull by freezing the eggs..I know that sucks but there are unclear blood lines with these two.. soo many dragon's out there already it's best to plan clutches for best results in the babies.

Since it isn't clear if she is gravid I would adjust her diet as if she is..good bugs, good greens, good supplements then more calcium to rebuild her reserves that are being taken to form eggs.

Fernfronds

Hatchling Dragon
Well Apollo is a proven breeder, I do know his bloodlines. Luckily the kid I got him from knew what he was talking about and informed me that he is het for trans and hypo. He had bred him before to a citrus hypo leatherback. I do know that Zola was bought from a breeder, not a pet store, and the man who surrendered her to my friend said he thought that she was a possible het, but who knows. She was considered a rescue because she was surrendered but she was in overall good health, just needed a change in diet. I guess the guy just didn't want her anymore.

I'm not really comfortable with killing the eggs if they are viable. I'm close with the owner of my local pet store and know he would incubate them and keep them healthy if they are good eggs.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As long as your comfortable with the results and have your "ducks in a row" that is in your court on how to handle the eggs.

Now it just comes down to keeping Zola nice and healthy :)

Fernfronds

Hatchling Dragon
She's been eating a ton and I've always fed her organic veggies, plus I gutload her feeders with good organic veggies too. She doesn't get crickets, just dubia, superworms and hornworms every other week. Should I give calcium everyday now? What's your opinion on pinkie mice?

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She's been eating a ton and I've always fed her organic veggies, plus I gutload her feeders with good organic veggies too. She doesn't get crickets, just dubia, superworms and hornworms every other week. Should I give calcium everyday now? What's your opinion on pinkie mice?

Sounds like your feeding well that's good, calcium with and without D3 should be in your routine..Different views on day old pinkie's they are really good to restore nutrients after laying of eggs..however if she's eating well and getting proper supplements I personally wouldn't give them as in a depleted state why make their bodies work harder? However many do feed them with no problems I think it will be a decision you will have to make as you will be on the front line of seeing how she's doing.. if it were me and the roles were reversed I would wait and see how she does and how she recovers, then after the next clutch I may think more about doing so.. The way I see this is it's your opportunity to get somewhat of a baseline to go off of.. make sense?

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Unfortunately with these guys you never know when the male is going to decide he's ready. Luci is a year younger than Dexter and he hit about 9 months old and I had the two of them out together and out of the blue he just lunged at her. There was never any head bobbing or waving or nothing. Luckily I was there and I was able to scoop her up before anything happened. It taught me that things change in a blink of an eye.

I don't like the idea of freezing viable eggs either but if you aren't prepared to incubate and raise the babies (that eat a ton of food), then it's the smartest thing to do. Then when you are ready and you have your bug colonies established and tanks to raise the babies in then breed again.

I would make sure she's getting enough calcium in her food. Like Hdrydr31 said, pinky mice are more to restore fat and calcium after laying. Hardboiled egg whites can be used to. Also, make sure you have a good vet. If she is too young to have eggs she may run into problems laying them.

Fernfronds

Hatchling Dragon
I ordered an incubator, I got the Farm Innovators Digital still air incubator, wanted to avoid the hassle with trying to find the right temperature with the Hovabator, and I'm not worried about the cost of feeders. I've just ordered 1000 mixed sized dubias for really cheap and can get more anytime.

Luckily their vet is wonderful and I'll be bringing her in to have her checked on closer to the time that she's going to lay her eggs. She just had a vet check recently and everything was good. She's over 2 years old so she shouldn't be too young but I'll make sure she is checked over thoroughly just in case.