• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Got a new tiny baby!

beardie mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
This tiny guy has no name yet. He's about 5 weeks old, according to the guy at the reptile store. We lost our first beardie at 4.5 months after he got sick suddenly, so we are hoping for better luck with this little one. Looking forward to see his colors and personality come in as he grows!

Attachments

• little beardie.jpg
    little beardie.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 23

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This tiny guy has no name yet. He's about 5 weeks old, according to the guy at the reptile store. We lost our first beardie at 4.5 months after he got sick suddenly, so we are hoping for better luck with this little one. Looking forward to see his colors and personality come in as he grows!
Welcome cute little guy---- the TWO MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank are basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stickons they are inaccurate --- and UVB a long tube fixture NO COILS -- the UVB and basking temps control the behavior and over all health of the dragon -- if those are correct they should thrive unless there are underlying health issues --- if you need help or have any questions please ask

beardie mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
We have a gun-type thermometer that we hold about 3" away... is this the right kind? His basking temp is reading 104.9 right now. On the cool side the stick-on thermometer says 84 and the gun on the newspaper confirms that. He is only spending time on his basking log today though.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We have a gun-type thermometer that we hold about 3" away... is this the right kind? His basking temp is reading 104.9 right now. On the cool side the stick-on thermometer says 84 and the gun on the newspaper confirms that. He is only spending time on his basking log today though.
Those are good temps --- you want the middle of the tank around 90's --- what are you using for a UVB you did not say

beardie mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
We currently have the Zilla T8 but are planning to switch the bulb with the one you recommended. We will go to the pet supply store this weekend.

Also, is it fine for him to just bask on the log all day? He's been there since we turned it on at 7 am and his temp is 103. Our other one would go back and forth between the basking log and the cooler side, but he wasn't this little when we got him.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We currently have the Zilla T8 but are planning to switch the bulb with the one you recommended. We will go to the pet supply store this weekend.

Also, is it fine for him to just bask on the log all day? He's been there since we turned it on at 7 am and his temp is 103. Our other one would go back and forth between the basking log and the cooler side, but he wasn't this little when we got him.
He will go to the light me needs but the T 8 needs to go into the tank - the screen will block 30% of the rays and please take the clear plastic cover off the fixture- leave it off- the Reptisun bulb is a way better bulb--- I can give you some ideas on how to hang in the tank--- is the tank a 40 gallon?

beardie mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes, Reptisun is what we will look for. My son has fishing wire that he plans to use to "tie" the light to the underside of the top. It's a 75-gallon tank, I believe. We got the big one that we figured we'd need for a big dragon.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, Reptisun is what we will look for. My son has fishing wire that he plans to use to "tie" the light to the underside of the top. It's a 75-gallon tank, I believe. We got the big one that we figured we'd need for a big dragon.
Ok so you are going to want to upgrade that UVB- to a 24" zoo med fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5- the 18" is too small for that size of tank and I would partition your tank off for now in half making it a 35 gallon it will be better for him for now-- but for now use your 18"- it will be good w/ the tank in half- get your tank and UVB situated and your going to want a piece of decor directly underneath it approx 6-8 inches