• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Glass Terrarium size...

BonsaiGuy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a new enclosure for my Beardie, and was wondering about some dimensions. For an adult Beardie, would a 36"x18"x18" suffice? I'd really like to re-do his cage as the one I have now is a bit wrong. Thanks!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That sounds like plenty of room if, as said above, the 36" is length or width and not height. :) :bd:

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
that should be enough room. thats about the size of a 40 gal breeder. thats about the bare minimum.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
That's big enough. If you are worried about him being cramped don't put a lot of decor.

BonsaiGuy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've got one of those big 4x2x2 setups that I built following a tutorial online, but after doing some reading I feel like I've set it up wrong. Granted, my Beardie has been in this setup for a few years now with no problems, but I just feel a glass enclosure would allow me to give him back his much loved hammock, lol

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Ah yes, the beloved hammock! its so strange that they are so in love with those things! I want to write to Zoomed and ask them to make an extra large, my girl literally hangs off hers. I don't have the heart to tell her that she's a few more grams away from actually ripping it!

BonsaiGuy

Bearded Dragon Egg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have two of those, absolutely love them! It's so much better to be able to reach into the front of the tank to get your beardie as opposed to reaching down from the top. When we bought ours we priced around and found Petsmart has the best deals on them in store.

BonsaiGuy

Bearded Dragon Egg
How big are your Beardies? Is something this size sufficient? I really like the setup design.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dexter is 17 inches and Luci is 10 1/2. I think its a good size. They like the vertical space as much as the horizontal. When Dexter was smaller we had a repti vine running through the tank and she would always try to get up as high as she could. Luci on the other hand runs laps around her tank for HOURS. They both like being able to look out the sides of the glass and watch what we are doing. The one thing they both do that bothers me is they climb on the bottom of the door. There's an air vent and if they catch it just right they can crawl across it. It sounds horribly painful when they do it, I'm always afraid they are going to rip a nail out.

BonsaiGuy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ah okay, my beardie is a little over 18 inches.

Here's his current setup, but as you can see, the lighting is all wrong:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    515.1 KB · Views: 32

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He's got a lot going on in there! Not sure if this picture will post right but here's Dexter's. She used to have sand in her tank but over the weekend we switched it out to carpet. It was too hard to feed her on the sand, she seems a lot more active with it gone.
image.jpg

BonsaiGuy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I like Dexter's! What kind of stand are you using for it? That would be my next challenge, some sort of stand.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just a wire utility shelf. Each shelf holds 350 pounds. It's pretty sturdy. Dexter is on top and Luci on the bottom.

BonsaiGuy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ah okay, easy enough. I still feel guilty about downgrading his setup, as everyone has told me that this is the bare minimum in terms of size.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Dexter's not running around hers like she used to but she likes to climb on the log and under the log and of course jumping on the hammock! It doesn't seem too small for her at all. Plus when I'm home she doesn't spend a lot of time in her tank :)