• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Glass surfing

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I’ve had my beardie for a month now. He is 2 months old. He has been glass surfing a lot lately. I Have a 20 gallon tank for him and in 6th months for Christmas I will get a 75 gallon. I don’t know if he wants out or what. I get him out 1-2 times a day for 45 minutes. He seems to love running around jumping. Can someone tell me why he is glass surfing so much?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27

ToriH

Bearded Dragon Egg
When I first got my beardie a few years ago he did too. It tends to rub their nose down and can make them bleed just a little. Mine didn't stop until I got him a bigger cage. Also I would reccomend putting your hand in front of the glass as he does it. I suspected mine might be thinking there is another beardie. But every case is different this is just what worked for me. Also my beardie was only rubbing his nose while walking across the cage. I noticed yours was full body, so your case may be very different.

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I’ve had my beardie for a month now. He is 2 months old. He has been glass surfing a lot lately. I Have a 20 gallon tank for him and in 6th months for Christmas I will get a 75 gallon. I don’t know if he wants out or what. I get him out 1-2 times a day for 45 minutes. He seems to love running around jumping. Can someone tell me why he is glass surfing so much?
Ok I’ll just have to watch him some more

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I read several on sites and heard from peeps that a 20 gal tank is a good size for a 2 month old. It makes it easier to catch their food and is less intimidating for them. I have a 40 gal tank and was worried it was too big for Dexter so asked and researched various sites. As long as I have limited items in his tank for bugs to hide under, he's doing fine with the bigger size, though I discovered that he may not notice crickets on the far end of his tank. I herd them closer to him and he'll gobble them up.

Here's info from one of the sites I looked at:

When they arrive, a baby Bearded Dragon can be quite small. In most cases, they can measure 4-12 inches. In this case, they will require a smaller tank. If the tank is too big, they might not be able to find their prey.
Age/SizeSmallest TankBiggest Tank
Baby (10-25 cm)20 Gallons (24”x12”x16”)55 Gallons (48”x13”x21”)
Juvenile (25-50 cm)55 Gallons (48”x13”x21”)75 Gallons (48”x18”x21”)
Adult (50+ cm)125 Gallons (72”x18”x21”)

I don't think you need to panic too much on his tank size right now unless you've exhausted all other reasons for the surfing.

When I first got Dexter I noticed he'd start frantically surfing when our dog and cat came into the living room. I added white paper to the bottom portion of his tank and his frantic surfing stopped as he can't see them now. I noticed he'd also surfed for a bit after I changed or moved items around in his tank. He didn't like it and it stressed him. I've since stopped and he doesn't surf for that reason anymore.

Even though I have his temps and lighting correct now, I notice he'll still sometimes surf for attention (Not the frantic surfing from before . . . it's slower more of an I'm bored surfing). As soon as I come up to the tank and start talking to him he'll run to his log and sit and listen to me. I don't even need to take him out, just give him some attention. He'll also sometimes surf if he's hungry and I'm a bit late with his bugs. Again not the frantic surfing, but more slower. He'll pause to look around and then will roam the length of the tank, stop to stand on it, drop back down and walk to the end, turn around and repeat. As soon as he eats, he's off to his basking spot. Surfing is over.

I'm not an expert by any means, but thought I'd share what I've read, heard, and what I've noticed about Dexter's surfing. Hope it helps.

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I read several on sites and heard from peeps that a 20 gal tank is a good size for a 2 month old. It makes it easier to catch their food and is less intimidating for them. I have a 40 gal tank and was worried it was too big for Dexter so asked and researched various sites. As long as I have limited items in his tank for bugs to hide under, he's doing fine with the bigger size, though I discovered that he may not notice crickets on the far end of his tank. I herd them closer to him and he'll gobble them up.

Here's info from one of the sites I looked at:

When they arrive, a baby Bearded Dragon can be quite small. In most cases, they can measure 4-12 inches. In this case, they will require a smaller tank. If the tank is too big, they might not be able to find their prey.
Age/SizeSmallest TankBiggest Tank
Baby (10-25 cm)20 Gallons (24”x12”x16”)55 Gallons (48”x13”x21”)
Juvenile (25-50 cm)55 Gallons (48”x13”x21”)75 Gallons (48”x18”x21”)
Adult (50+ cm)125 Gallons (72”x18”x21”)

I don't think you need to panic too much on his tank size right now unless you've exhausted all other reasons for the surfing.

When I first got Dexter I noticed he'd start frantically surfing when our dog and cat came into the living room. I added white paper to the bottom portion of his tank and his frantic surfing stopped as he can't see them now. I noticed he'd also surfed for a bit after I changed or moved items around in his tank. He didn't like it and it stressed him. I've since stopped and he doesn't surf for that reason anymore.

Even though I have his temps and lighting correct now, I notice he'll still sometimes surf for attention (Not the frantic surfing from before . . . it's slower more of an I'm bored surfing). As soon as I come up to the tank and start talking to him he'll run to his log and sit and listen to me. I don't even need to take him out, just give him some attention. He'll also sometimes surf if he's hungry and I'm a bit late with his bugs. Again not the frantic surfing, but more slower. He'll pause to look around and then will roam the length of the tank, stop to stand on it, drop back down and walk to the end, turn around and repeat. As soon as he eats, he's off to his basking spot. Surfing is over.

I'm not an expert by any means, but thought I'd share what I've read, heard, and what I've noticed about Dexter's surfing. Hope it helps.
He gets a decent amount of food on a regular schedule, he has a big enough tank for him, I give him quit a bit of attention. I don’t know why he does this!

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
He gets a decent amount of food on a regular schedule, he has a big enough tank for him, I give him quit a bit of attention. I don’t know why he does this!
It's frustrating for sure not knowing what is bothering them. Sometimes wish they can just tell you. I usually just have to observe to see what's going on when the surfing starts and fix using trial and error method until I figure out what the problem is. Thank goodness for Dex it's been easy fixes so far. Hope your guy settles down soon.

Sosemisa

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
It's frustrating for sure not knowing what is bothering them. Sometimes wish they can just tell you. I usually just have to observe to see what's going on when the surfing starts and fix using trial and error method until I figure out what the problem is. Thank goodness for Dex it's been easy fixes so far. Hope your guy settles down soon.
Yeah thanks

Godzilla mom

Bearded Dragon Egg
[/QUOTE]

I've had mine for almost a year at first she used to do the glass thing a little bit at first I thought it was because she could see her reflection but I'm not sure. when she kept doing it I took her out and let her explore for a short period of time and when she made her way back to her cage I put her back in and it helped

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The REfelction in the Glasss, he thinks its another beardie be creative and get yellow thick poster board or folders from CVS or Staples and cover the back and 2 sides of the glass enclosure so he cant see his refelction and keep the front clear so he can see out!!!!