• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Glass surfing? Is there something I am doing wrong?

calvinhunt99

Bearded Dragon Egg
It won't let me upload a video but... Everything so far has seemed okay with my Bearded Dragon Remy.

He's eating plenty, pooping often, he's pretty active, but one thing he has been doing is pawing all of the tank. I am not sure if it's just because he is finally starting to shed, or what it is?

I've read that it could be many different things that could cause it... I am not sure what I could try, but he's doing the glass surfing quite often and it's beginning to make me a little worried.

Do you guys have suggestions?

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2020-10-30-14h40m31s845.png
    vlcsnap-2020-10-30-14h40m31s845.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 8

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It won't let me upload a video but... Everything so far has seemed okay with my Bearded Dragon Remy.

He's eating plenty, pooping often, he's pretty active, but one thing he has been doing is pawing all of the tank. I am not sure if it's just because he is finally starting to shed, or what it is?

I've read that it could be many different things that could cause it... I am not sure what I could try, but he's doing the glass surfing quite often and it's beginning to make me a little worried.

Do you guys have suggestions?
How old is Remy and what size tank is she in? Lighting can cause the behavior--- any colored bulbs--- what are you using for a UVB? NO coils----------- Brand and bulb pleas basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons-- we need to narrow down the possible causes-please take a soft baby toothbrush we it and gently brush her to loosen the shed

calvinhunt99

Bearded Dragon Egg
How old is Remy and what size tank is she in? Lighting can cause the behavior--- any colored bulbs--- what are you using for a UVB? NO coils----------- Brand and bulb pleas basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons-- we need to narrow down the possible causes-please take a soft baby toothbrush we it and gently brush her to loosen the shed

Hey Sadie, I actually purchased all of the bulbs you suggested for me, but below is my entire lighting setup. I am not sure what you mean by "No Coils"?

Btw, Remy is a boy, but the tank size is 90GAL. I am unsure the exact age, as the pet store didn't know, but It's around 7 or 8 months old now from what I understand.

Lighting Setup
ReptiSun 10 T5 22 Inch with ReptiSun T5 Terrarium Hood - for UVB lighting
Heat Lamp#1 : 150W Repti Basking Spot Lamp from ZooMed
Heat Lamp #2: 100W Repti Basking Spot Lamp from ZooMed

I am not sure the exact numbers, but the kelvin color for the heat lamps are probably between 3K-4K, and the UVB bulb is probably in the 5K color temp area. Not sure if this matters.

Temperatures
I purchased a temperature gun, and I have a probe inside of the tank. It various on where in the basking spot, but the temperatures range from 102F to 110F.

The middle of the tank is in the 80s to 90s, and then the left side of the tank is in the low 80s to mid/high 70s during the day (while the basking lamps are on). And it goes down to around 74-72 at night

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Sadie, I actually purchased all of the bulbs you suggested for me, but below is my entire lighting setup. I am not sure what you mean by "No Coils"?

Btw, Remy is a boy, but the tank size is 90GAL. I am unsure the exact age, as the pet store didn't know, but It's around 7 or 8 months old now from what I understand.

Lighting Setup
ReptiSun 10 T5 22 Inch with ReptiSun T5 Terrarium Hood - for UVB lighting
Heat Lamp#1 : 150W Repti Basking Spot Lamp from ZooMed
Heat Lamp #2: 100W Repti Basking Spot Lamp from ZooMed

I am not sure the exact numbers, but the kelvin color for the heat lamps are probably between 3K-4K, and the UVB bulb is probably in the 5K color temp area. Not sure if this matters.

Temperatures
I purchased a temperature gun, and I have a probe inside of the tank. It various on where in the basking spot, but the temperatures range from 102F to 110F.

The middle of the tank is in the 80s to 90s, and then the left side of the tank is in the low 80s to mid/high 70s during the day (while the basking lamps are on). And it goes down to around 74-72 at night
Are you using both those basking bulbs-- it sounds like its too much this would be a cause for glass surfing the temp in the tank is too hot -- w/ a 150 watt AND a 100 watt I am thinking that is over kill --- what are you using for decor pieces- the IR gun cannot give accurate temps off a hammock if your using a hammock you would need to get it from a digital probe thermometer --the UVB is where in the tank? If your screen is a wide holed type it can go on top distance w/ basking decor piece directly under it should be 8-10 inches -- if the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door it needs to go inside the tank approx 12-15 inches above decor --- basking temps should be 95-110 for a juvie / adult dragon -

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Your temps look good if anything it could be the uvb. One time with my beardie I bought a 5.0 UVB for her zoomed instead of the 10.0 UVB. And she glass surfed constantly next to her uvb lamp until I realized the mistake I made (around 3 days). Once I got it back to the 10.0 she stopped glass surfing. So if anything try and get her closer to it or if your using the 5.0 change it to the 10.0, beardies need the higher uvb output. Hope I was able to help :)