• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Giant Islander Roaches

plqnnr

Bearded Dragon Egg
I was getting some bugs for my girl, she's an adult maybe on the smaller side. Saw some roaches but I couldn't get a good look at them there, they're advertised as Giant Islanders. I fed one to her, it started hissing which I didn't expect. I know hissers tend to be a bit of a concern for them. She ate it nonetheless and is fine and dandy though she took a while getting it down. I have one more roach, will it be any concern feeding it to her? It's maybe 2'0 inches in size.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I was getting some bugs for my girl, she's an adult maybe on the smaller side. Saw some roaches but I couldn't get a good look at them there, they're advertised as Giant Islanders. I fed one to her, it started hissing which I didn't expect. I know hissers tend to be a bit of a concern for them. She ate it nonetheless and is fine and dandy though she took a while getting it down. I have one more roach, will it be any concern feeding it to her? It's maybe 2'0 inches in size.
No do not feed her the roach -- hissing roaches have been know to cause choking and biting the dragon --- you need to stick w/ dubias ---

WICKEDPOGONA

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Madagascar hissing roaches have a harder and tougher shell and is.more difficult to chew up . they also have big jaws and can actually bite. Dubias don't bite and aren't that hard just crunchy . hissing roaches climb better then Dubia and adult Madagascar roaches get bigger they do have a longer lifespan but take longer to grow they're safe to feed just be warey fine as a one off or blue moon treat just not a great staple

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I’m no except in roaches but I would say hiding is not a good sign

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I believe the islander roaches have really terrible spines on their legs aswell? And i think they can spray a stinky liquid from behind their heads aswell? Like a deterrent, it wouldn’t hurt ur beardie , i feed discoid roaches and the adults can get almost 3 inches long, what’s important is the beardie chews, some do , some dont, if u can prekill the roach thatd be best.