• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting a new beardie

shipleydragon

Hatchling Dragon
We recently had yo put our first beardie down, and are looking to purchase at reptile show this weekend. What do you suggest I look for or ask. Want this to be a good experience for my daughter.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We recently had yo put our first beardie down, and are looking to purchase at reptile show this weekend. What do you suggest I look for or ask. Want this to be a good experience for my daughter.
That is a tricky question - I am going to ask some better people that I know on this question - they can give better answers than I - I will get back w/ you on this

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is a tricky question - I am going to ask some better people that I know on this question - they can give better answers than I - I will get back w/ you on this
Ok she got back and has these tips for you
Expos are exciting so you'll have a great time no doubt ! What expo is it ? Right now you can go to the website of the expo and see what vendors will be there and zero in on the dragon breeders and look up their reviews online. When you get there look for the best looking, healthy dragons from a breeder. If they have ANY sick looking dragons pass them up, they should be alert . Don't buy a dragon less than 6- 7" long. Don't buy from a vendor that has many different types of reptiles , you won't know what the bloodline is and sometimes the animals in their care might be neglected due to the sheer volume of different creatures, of course there can be exceptions. A dragon with a tail or toe nip is O.K if it's totally healed but it's still best to go for one that has no nips.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would look for someone who is somewhat local to you that breeds only beardies. Look for one that is active and alert. They should be well-started, eating a variety of both greens and bugs. And they should probably be about 60 days old at a minimum.