• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting a new baby dragon feeding question

Pandabeardeddragonmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I can't have roaches in my home and if I can avoid crickets I would like to can I feed my baby beardy (Kakashi) Phoenix Worms with veggies if not what is another option? He will be coming home soon so need to know asap thanks everyone

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
I use black soldier fly larvae for my baby. He's doing great on them, gaining weight, growing, and happy.

Pandabeardeddragonmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use black soldier fly larvae for my baby. He's doing great on them, gaining weight, growing, and happy.
I heard I can feed it small super worms too is that true? And also how long do I have before the phantoms turn to flies I don't want to have flies in my home lol and can you keep. Super worms in the fridge if I can use them how to keep phantoms last longer?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
I’ve never had one turn into a fly, but I haven’t had my beardie super long yet. Even if they do, adult Soldier flies have no mouthparts, so they won’t get into your food or anything. They aren’t dirty like house flies. They’ll just die.

I’ve heard baby beardies aren’t supposed to have superworms because of impaction risks. They’re ok for an occasional treat in an adult 1.5+ years old.

Pandabeardeddragonmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah it was just freaked me out having opening container in a fly flies out LOL I'm like I hate bugs I hate bugs so Phoenix Worms are the only thing that I'm going to be able to feed him like he's a baby was a good thing to feed it with it multivitamin vegetables and stuff? Thank you for also talking to me about this stuff you're awesome I'm so confused I try to look it up on the internet but everyone's a fruit not afraid of bugs like I have a phobia of roaches I can't have my landlord and I can just imagine if a couple that loose worms at least you can handle and crickets heck now and not touching a cricket and I heard they bite plus I just can't deal LOL I'm a baby when it comes to bugs but I used to deal with worms a lot when I was younger because they were like my pets it was weird but I want him to eat Phoenix Worms but like I guess I can put multivitamin on his food what do you feed your bearded dragon with when you feed them Phoenix Worms for vitamins

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
I use Repashy Calcium Plus. I dust all of his bsfl with it before he eats. I find it easier than trying to keep track of multiple different vitamins and calcium mixes.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Babes really need the protein that bugs so phoneix worms are good, silkworms, small superworms (not a staple food), crickets, dubia, treats are butterworms, waxworms. Those are your choices you need to take in mind what is best for your baby dragon and if you can't feed them what they need maybe it's not the pet for you. Just my opinion.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You really need to write down a list of pros and cons before you get a dragon. They really need live protein and they really need a variety. Each food items offers different types of nutrients plus they sometimes get picky when eating the same thing over and over. If live bugs in your house isn't your thing then maybe you should look for something that is a herbivore.

Bones17

Bearded Dragon Egg
Supers can be a little fatty for them to get all the time. Bones gets them a few times a week. Mostly on the nights where I work late. I give him crickets twice week but he's on the roaches mainly right now.

Poisonedbite

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would suggest you find an herbivore too. Beardies have to have a varied diet of live prey. And BSF larvae are extremely small. You would need dozens to make a single meal for even a juvie beardie.

sqwkr

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
If you hate bugs that much maybe a dragon isn't for you. The best staple food for a dragon is dubia. I don't do crickets because I've had one hide I didn't know it was there and it chewed on my animal while it slept. The worms are good but not as the only protein they will get because they generally have a high fat content which will decrease the life of your dragon and can cause fatty liver disease. I am not a fan of bugs. But I do what I have to do for my babies. I breed roaches and they don't escape, they don't make noise, they don't smell and they are Hardy.