• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Frozen thawed Dubia Roaches

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Has anyone fed their dragons frozen thawed dubias? I've been looking for an alternative to live ones since live are not allowed in the house. I've seen dragons eat frozen thawed crickets so why not do the same with dubias. I can't find frozen ones online so if someone knows someone selling them let me know. Anyone here freeze their own? How do you do it? If I have to buy live ones and freeze them I would like to do it humanely. How would you package them afterwards? I seriously want to give this a try so help is very much appreciated.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've never done it before, I think you would loose some of their goodness by freezing? If them getting loose is the issue on not having them in the house I really wouldn't worry as they don't live long enough outside of their heat of their tub to produce... every once and awhile 1 will get loose when I sort but i find them dead or about dead days later...

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Live would not be allowed in the house, period. I'd be ok with it but my wife would kill me. Growing up poor in a large family the house was infested with roaches and she hated them. She won't touch a cricket either, will kill it and make me pick it up. Surprised I can bring crickets in. She likes dragons though and has no problem holding them.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Live would not be allowed in the house, period. I'd be ok with it but my wife would kill me. Growing up poor in a large family the house was infested with roaches and she hated them. She won't touch a cricket either, will kill it and make me pick it up. Surprised I can bring crickets in. She likes dragons though and has no problem holding them.
Maybe telling her how much more beneficial dubia are apposed to crickets? and that crickets are more likely to carry parasites? and they don't smell like crickets?
I understand the roach thing I had to live with cockroaches and it's horrible..but Dubia are nothing like them and this is coming from someone who still has to resist the urge to throw them when they get on my hand and won't get off lol I don't like bugs at all.. But I do now think they are pretty cool and interesting..

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You're wife will be surprised at how fast she can overcome her fear of bugs when it comes to feeding those adorable beardie faces! I am a city girl, I hate all bugs. Spider in my house...we are burning it down! I've gotten to the point now if I see a cricket loose in the house it's not a big deal, I just pick it up with my bare hands. I still can't do roaches though, for a similar reason your wife has.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You're wife will be surprised at how fast she can overcome her fear of bugs when it comes to feeding those adorable beardie faces! I am a city girl, I hate all bugs. Spider in my house...we are burning it down! I've gotten to the point now if I see a cricket loose in the house it's not a big deal, I just pick it up with my bare hands. I still can't do roaches though, for a similar reason your wife has.

Yea I got over most of my fears when we rescued Willow (tiny few day old house wren) we had to feed her bugs so I started keeping crickets by the thousands...sigh And yes she ate that many! as a baby baby chick she ate 1-2 crickets every 15 min sun up to sun down! if you do the math 8 an hour = crazy amount of bugs a day :) Once she passed after 4 1/2 almost 5 years I was soooo glad I didn't have to keep them anymore..but I got Izzy and after researching dubia was one of the best staples and once a colony is going I don't buy any bugs other than some superworms anymore. Esp since I have 2 dragons now :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Spike and Archer are still young so I will work on my wife. Timing is key, she is Italian and very stubborn. Looking for the chink in the armor. It may take awhile or never.

My mother-in-law is Italian. She will never be okay with the lizards and we don't really tell her we have bugs in the house LOL!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My wife called me yesterday to ask how and where dragons poop. It just dawned on here that when bugs go in the leftovers have to come out. After all dragons are nothing if not dubia to poop conversion devices.
lol awesome!

Terry Campbell

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've never done it before, I think you would loose some of their goodness by freezing? If them getting loose is the issue on not having them in the house I really wouldn't worry as they don't live long enough outside of their heat of their tub to produce... every once and awhile 1 will get loose when I sort but i find them dead or about dead days later...
There danned in Canads