• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Freeze Dried Crickets?...

JeepGirl

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi All!

My beardy loves his live crickets and also eats meal worms and king worms. He loves his veggies too!
My question is...freeze dried crickets...what is your take on their nutritional value vs. the live crickets? Much/any difference?
I'm asking because we are going away for 3 weeks and it would be really convenient to take freeze dried crickets vs. live...but I'm just wondering if nutritionally they would be a good option for my beardy?

Thanks!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They have no nutritional value. It's like us eating potato chips.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not to mention they get the moisture that they need thru the foods that they eat, so a nice juicy bug is way better all around..

JeepGirl

Bearded Dragon Egg
Not to mention they get the moisture that they need thru the foods that they eat, so a nice juicy bug is way better all around..

Have you seen the Flukers canned crickets? I did buy a small can to see what he would do and he actually ate them and they are very juicy. My only concern is WHAT is making them juicy! There is nothing listed on the ingredient listing other than crickets...but I have to wonder!
Thank you for the additional links!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Canned crickets are gross! Dexter won a contest one year and they gave me a can of those and I had to open them up just to see. It was like a gelatinous goo. :confused: I do wonder what they use to keep them in the can.

Honchess

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My General was a rescue that had been fed dried crickets almost exclusively. When I got him he suddenly had good salads with a few berries and vegetables. He also got super worms and live crickets. I had some dried crickets left from the ones his previous owner used. When I put a couple in for her, she turned her nose up! They are almost useless.
Throw the dried things OUT. Even if you are gone 3 weeks, a cup of super worms will live long enough for your care giver to feed a few every couple days. I've kept super worms for as much as six weeks by giving a bit of shredded carrots every couple weeks.