• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fred - My First (... and a couple questions for the forum)

MooNBeaR

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi All :)

First-timer here, and first-timer with a beardie. Hoping to get some good advice from others with experience so I can provide my little one with the best care I can give, and hopefully be able to pass on what I can learn to others.

So this is Fred. I'm about 1.5 weeks in with him. I thought I'd both introduce myself and get some first impressions/questions answered, since I want to do this right.

PXL_20210605_174357282.PORTRAIT (Medium).jpg

Here's his space:

PXL_20210605_174304287 (Medium).jpg

PXL_20210605_174311790 (Medium).jpg

PXL_20210605_174324663 (Medium).jpg

• So, I've got an 18" T8 UVB (Reptisun) on the inside of the screen.
  • For the basking light, I have a 125W mercury all-in-one (Exo Terra Solar Glo Sun Simulating Bulb) in a reflective dome above the screen.
  • Little hammock on the warm side, food/water on the cooler side.
  • Used some non-slip tile with a stone look for the substrate (has a good texture so it's not like glass under his feet)... Thought it would work best for sanitary reasons, and to hold a little extra heat overnight when the lights are out.
  • I use an IR heat gun to check temps in spots.

Questions for the beardie-veterans:

1. Does this look adequate?
  2. I don't know if I should be concerned... He hasn't been eating a lot. He's been super-friendly and will take the odd cricket from my hand. He'll eat mealworms. Chases and eats crickets when he wants. I see him eat, but I don't know if it's enough. I don't see a lot of signs of stress, but I hear and have read that young beardies should be eating quite a few insects on a daily. I think I can count how many he's been eating on 1-2 hands.
  3. Also having a hell of a time getting greens into him. Tried bee pollen, dried flower topping, mealworms to add some movement... Same results. I just stay with it. One time he has taken a small piece of dandelion leaf from me by hand.

Not sure if these are just things that might improve/change over time? I try not to leave crickets in the vivarium for too long, but it seems tedious to put them in and take them out after he eats none of them (again, on occasion he chases down/eats one or two).

Otherwise likes to bask, and sleeps well at night (I keep nighttime temps between 74F-85F). Also dropping in a shallow 85-90F bath every couple days to keep hydrated (I don't really see him drink from his dish, and without the greens, figure the baths are good as I see him drink a bit while he soaks).

I know, I probably sound like a noob (and I am), but I do want to be a good owner, and him a happy pet - so I appreciate and will try to absorb as much knowledge as I can. Thank you all!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum :) Nice enclosure, only thing id critique is putting in a brick/rock or some slate down, they need lots of different textures to rub and walk on, other than that ur setup is pretty close to perfect. Maybe cover the two sides of the glass? (They hate seeing their reflections) 10 crickets a day is an okay amount(if he could get 20 or more a day thatd be perfect) stay away from mealworms/supers till hes atleast 5 months, if u can order bsfl these are supposedly very good for babies, roaches are also a great staple feeder. They dont really eat greens as baby’s, ur lucky if u get some in him lol, we were all noobs at one point, please ask away there’s no such thing as a silly question :)

MooNBeaR

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum :) Nice enclosure, only thing id critique is putting in a brick/rock or some slate down, they need lots of different textures to rub and walk on, other than that ur setup is pretty close to perfect. Maybe cover the two sides of the glass? (They hate seeing their reflections) 10 crickets a day is an okay amount(if he could get 20 or more a day thatd be perfect) stay away from mealworms/supers till hes atleast 5 months, if u can order bsfl these are supposedly very good for babies, roaches are also a great staple feeder. They dont really eat greens as baby’s, ur lucky if u get some in him lol, we were all noobs at one point, please ask away there’s no such thing as a silly question :)

Thank you! I feel better knowing he's not starving, lol. I have tried using some bsfl in the greens to try to coax him a bit, but no luck. I won't push the greens too much given you say it's pretty normal.

I don't even know if I should be mixing them into the greens/fruit, or just put them in a worm dish separately then...? Just so they're not hiding under dandelion leaves.

Sadly, I don't think I can do the dubia roaches. I heard good things, but to my knowledge I can't get them where I live (Alberta, Canada). So crickets and bsfl it is for now - and hornworms when he's bigger.

I'll look for something for the sides today. I have noticed him run for the side, stop, stare at his reflection and do that submissive arm rotation thing at times.

Otherwise, he's been super friendly demeanor-wise given the time I've had him. I can handle him without him running away, no stress marks appearing (although as advised, keeping it to a minimum to ease into it).

Thanks again for your advice! I definitely value the experience and look forward to learning more and seeing him grow.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Id still give the greens, maybe just make smaller salads so the bugs arnt hiding as much, If hes fine with handling, id keep it up daily, it depends on how he takes it, i took out my bearded dragon every day for about 10 minutes :) some days she didn’t like it so i put her back, and the hand waving is definitely a sign of it seeing “another” dragon, shame u live in wild Canada they cant get many bug types ive heard, stick with the bsfl and crickets, and maybe shop around at a few pet stores and see what bugs they have.

Betts

Bearded Dragon Egg
Id still give the greens, maybe just make smaller salads so the bugs arnt hiding as much, If hes fine with handling, id keep it up daily, it depends on how he takes it, i took out my bearded dragon every day for about 10 minutes :) some days she didn’t like it so i put her back, and the hand waving is definitely a sign of it seeing “another” dragon, shame u live in wild Canada they cant get many bug types ive heard, stick with the bsfl and crickets, and maybe shop around at a few pet stores and see what bugs they have.

MooNBeaR

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks Betts!

Yes, I've been handling daily, since he doesn't seem too stressed about it. Not long, but to keep him used to me.

Salads, I've been keeping that up daily - whether it gets eaten or not. I know over time a transition happens naturally, so I want to make sure it's always there.

Agreed on the selection. Doesn't seem too keen on the bsfl, but every now and then I try to change it up from the crickets. I coat them in calcium most days, and maybe twice a week a multi. With the feedings, I find I almost have to take him down from his chosen basking spot and herd the crickets closer and he'll go for them. Just painful taking them out when I need to... I've woken up to one still being in the viv, and I feel kinda bad I missed it (knowing they "can" feed off the beardie while he's sleeping - last thing I want).

I appreciate all the advice... I'm probably more paranoid than I need to be - I'm sure they're hardier than I give them credit for. But it's like new parents with a baby... every little thing, right? lol

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi All :)

First-timer here, and first-timer with a beardie. Hoping to get some good advice from others with experience so I can provide my little one with the best care I can give, and hopefully be able to pass on what I can learn to others.

So this is Fred. I'm about 1.5 weeks in with him. I thought I'd both introduce myself and get some first impressions/questions answered, since I want to do this right.

View attachment 27548

Here's his space:

View attachment 27549

View attachment 27550

View attachment 27551

• So, I've got an 18" T8 UVB (Reptisun) on the inside of the screen.
  • For the basking light, I have a 125W mercury all-in-one (Exo Terra Solar Glo Sun Simulating Bulb) in a reflective dome above the screen.
  • Little hammock on the warm side, food/water on the cooler side.
  • Used some non-slip tile with a stone look for the substrate (has a good texture so it's not like glass under his feet)... Thought it would work best for sanitary reasons, and to hold a little extra heat overnight when the lights are out.
  • I use an IR heat gun to check temps in spots.

Questions for the beardie-veterans:

1. Does this look adequate?
  2. I don't know if I should be concerned... He hasn't been eating a lot. He's been super-friendly and will take the odd cricket from my hand. He'll eat mealworms. Chases and eats crickets when he wants. I see him eat, but I don't know if it's enough. I don't see a lot of signs of stress, but I hear and have read that young beardies should be eating quite a few insects on a daily. I think I can count how many he's been eating on 1-2 hands.
  3. Also having a hell of a time getting greens into him. Tried bee pollen, dried flower topping, mealworms to add some movement... Same results. I just stay with it. One time he has taken a small piece of dandelion leaf from me by hand.

Not sure if these are just things that might improve/change over time? I try not to leave crickets in the vivarium for too long, but it seems tedious to put them in and take them out after he eats none of them (again, on occasion he chases down/eats one or two).

Otherwise likes to bask, and sleeps well at night (I keep nighttime temps between 74F-85F). Also dropping in a shallow 85-90F bath every couple days to keep hydrated (I don't really see him drink from his dish, and without the greens, figure the baths are good as I see him drink a bit while he soaks).

I know, I probably sound like a noob (and I am), but I do want to be a good owner, and him a happy pet - so I appreciate and will try to absorb as much knowledge as I can. Thank you all!
Hi; oh my remove the mercury vapor bulb asap;?They are deadly, need to be 16 inches minimum away from the Beardie, and emit uvb and heat at a very intense high amount; hence u wud not also need the Reptisun. Return the mercury bulb and buy a Zoomed clear basking bulb for heat in conjunction with the Reptisun 10.0 T8 only. U cannot use a mercury and a Reptisun. He’s a baby rite now so he’s tolerating the insane heat, but when he turns 8mnths or so they like the temp at 95-97. Pelase jsit get the zoomed clear bashful bulb for heat. Also consider upgrading to the Reptisun 10.0 T5 it’s the best and much brighter which a Beardie needs to thrive. Also make sure u replace this Uvb every 6mtnhs & make sure he has a hideaway which he does.

MooNBeaR

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi; oh my remove the mercury vapor bulb asap;?They are deadly, need to be 16 inches minimum away from the Beardie, and emit uvb and heat at a very intense high amount; hence u wud not also need the Reptisun. Return the mercury bulb and buy a Zoomed clear basking bulb for heat in conjunction with the Reptisun 10.0 T8 only. U cannot use a mercury and a Reptisun. He’s a baby rite now so he’s tolerating the insane heat, but when he turns 8mnths or so they like the temp at 95-97. Pelase jsit get the zoomed clear bashful bulb for heat. Also consider upgrading to the Reptisun 10.0 T5 it’s the best and much brighter which a Beardie needs to thrive. Also make sure u replace this Uvb every 6mtnhs & make sure he has a hideaway which he does.
Hi Julee1971,

Thank you! I'll fix this asap!

I have a clear basking bulb that came with the vivarium, but was noticing I wasn't getting enough heat out of it (generic brand too). Someone told me they prefer the 'all-in-one' bulbs (or the mercury lamps) to the standard basking light since it provides the additional UVB while they bask. Obviously, too much of anything (even if it's good for you) can be dangerous. I knew I at least had to replace the included "swirly" UVB bulb with at least a T8 or T5HO.

The T8 I have - I had a hard time finding the T5's where I am. Easy to find the T5 fixture, but oddly just a lot of T8 bulbs around. So I went T8 and mounted inside so the screen wouldn't block UVB. From what I heard (I know, I'm probably going to say this a lot), the T5HO shouldn't be mounted inside due to the higher power and work better on top of screens (obviously unless proper distance is kept from the bulb...).

I've only ever used a 10.0, as I understand the 5.0 are for the more tropical scaly friends :) I'll aim for acquiring a T5 fixture before the 6 months is up on the T8 (I'll at least get use out of it, since it wasn't cheap).

So, for distance from light/heat, would it be recommended I remove the taller deco he hangs out on with more of a lower basking rock? He seems to like it on the thing, but if he's putting himself in harms way, I'd rather quickly rearrange his habitat a bit. I do measure the heat with a laser IR gun though, to make sure he's not burning his feet, or anything else...

Summary, what I should do:
  • Replace 125W mercury basking bulb with clear 'heat only' lamp (the T8 ReptiSun provides enough UVB in the viv).
  • Replace the 'tree-like thing' with more of a basking rock lower from the top(?)
  • In about 6 mo, maybe swap out the T8 with a T5 fixture and T5HO 10.0 ReptiSun for better UVB output.
Sound about right?

Thanks again for all the tips! I'm glad I signed up here! I do want to care for my beardie properly, and I'd rather get advice from people that have experience versus the pet stores.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi Julee1971,

Thank you! I'll fix this asap!

I have a clear basking bulb that came with the vivarium, but was noticing I wasn't getting enough heat out of it (generic brand too). Someone told me they prefer the 'all-in-one' bulbs (or the mercury lamps) to the standard basking light since it provides the additional UVB while they bask. Obviously, too much of anything (even if it's good for you) can be dangerous. I knew I at least had to replace the included "swirly" UVB bulb with at least a T8 or T5HO.

The T8 I have - I had a hard time finding the T5's where I am. Easy to find the T5 fixture, but oddly just a lot of T8 bulbs around. So I went T8 and mounted inside so the screen wouldn't block UVB. From what I heard (I know, I'm probably going to say this a lot), the T5HO shouldn't be mounted inside due to the higher power and work better on top of screens (obviously unless proper distance is kept from the bulb...).

I've only ever used a 10.0, as I understand the 5.0 are for the more tropical scaly friends :) I'll aim for acquiring a T5 fixture before the 6 months is up on the T8 (I'll at least get use out of it, since it wasn't cheap).

So, for distance from light/heat, would it be recommended I remove the taller deco he hangs out on with more of a lower basking rock? He seems to like it on the thing, but if he's putting himself in harms way, I'd rather quickly rearrange his habitat a bit. I do measure the heat with a laser IR gun though, to make sure he's not burning his feet, or anything else...

Summary, what I should do:
  • Replace 125W mercury basking bulb with clear 'heat only' lamp (the T8 ReptiSun provides enough UVB in the viv).
  • Replace the 'tree-like thing' with more of a basking rock lower from the top(?)
  • In about 6 mo, maybe swap out the T8 with a T5 fixture and T5HO 10.0 ReptiSun for better UVB output.
Sound about right?

Thanks again for all the tips! I'm glad I signed up here! I do want to care for my beardie properly, and I'd rather get advice from people that have experience versus the pet stores.
Hi; yes pet stores give incorrect info; this forum is good, u can also ask breeders, or Google as much as you can. U can order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 from Amazon, WallMart or specialty pet stores. Also, if he likes the wooden branch which is good for now cuz he’s little, then keep it there as the temporary basking spot just lower it so he’s not to close to the UVB. When he turns 4mnths or so u can get the basking platform. As far as the heat bulb; u are correct many don’t emit Enuff warmth/heat the ExxonTerra is known for low heat emission; return it & get the ZooMed clear basking bulb for heat, but be careful in the summer & winter it runs hotter at times especially as the temp in your home fluctuates; so u can raise the light or raise the basking spot or lower as needed. And the Reptisun UVB bulb should always be mounted inside the tank, wether it’s the T5 or T8; some have the T5 mounted on top and it’s on but better to be inside the tank; just make sure it’s the 10.0 & replaced every “6” Mnths & yes the Reptisun 10.0 T5 is better; it gives off more UVB and is brighter for the Beardie/Tank. The IR gin is great & get digital thermometer & a digital hygrometer; humidity should be 30-40 never higher than 40. Other than that u are doing gr8. Also, I didn’t catch the entire thread on the greens/veggies but place the fresh plate on the cold side everyday for life to munch on and use the everyday list I recommended, u may also hand feed to get him to try me eat them till he does it on his own. But make sure u do the 4-5 feedings of crickets while he’s little/growing they need lots of protein.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hi; yes pet stores give incorrect info; this forum is good, u can also ask breeders, or Google as much as you can. U can order the Reptisun 10.0 T5 from Amazon, WallMart or specialty pet stores. Also, if he likes the wooden branch which is good for now cuz he’s little, then keep it there as the temporary basking spot just lower it so he’s not to close to the UVB. When he turns 4mnths or so u can get the basking platform. As far as the heat bulb; u are correct many don’t emit Enuff warmth/heat the ExxonTerra is known for low heat emission; return it & get the ZooMed clear basking bulb for heat, but be careful in the summer & winter it runs hotter at times especially as the temp in your home fluctuates; so u can raise the light or raise the basking spot or lower as needed. And the Reptisun UVB bulb should always be mounted inside the tank, wether it’s the T5 or T8; some have the T5 mounted on top and it’s on but better to be inside the tank; just make sure it’s the 10.0 & replaced every “6” Mnths & yes the Reptisun 10.0 T5 is better; it gives off more UVB and is brighter for the Beardie/Tank. The IR gin is great & get digital thermometer & a digital hygrometer; humidity should be 30-40 never higher than 40. Other than that u are doing gr8. Also, I didn’t catch the entire thread on the greens/veggies but place the fresh plate on the cold side everyday for life to munch on and use the everyday list I recommended, u may also hand feed to get him to try me eat them till he does it on his own. But make sure u do the 4-5 feedings of crickets while he’s little/growing they need lots of protein.
I mean no disrespect, cause you do often give very good advice, but I wouldn’t trust most breeders for info, they’re all about capital gain and most of the time do the bare minimum when caring for beardies…. At least thats how breeders are where i live.

MooNBeaR

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok, this should hopefully be better:

• No more mercury bulb - replaced with ZooMed 100W basking bulb (got a 2 pack so I have a backup).

• Swapped out the piece that got him "too close" to the lights with a large flat rock to bask on. I think I honestly like this better, as it doesn't give many places for a stray cricket to hide.

• Already had the digital thermo/hygrometers, and infrared heat gun.

• Checked a couple places today while I was out for a T5 fixture & 10.0 bulbs,,, No such luck (all T8's everywhere). I'll see about getting something shipped - might take a little longer, but I'm not too worried, since he's not without... just need to replace with "better". Keep in mind, my location... Amazon Canada (.ca) doesn't have all the same 'stuff' as .com (US) for example - I have to work with, and do the best with what I have.
I'm going to keep a closer eye on temps since changing the couple things out (bulb/basking spot/etc), since I don't know if/how it might change and if I need to move the lamp higher...

PXL_20210610_180442944 (Medium).jpg

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, this should hopefully be better:

• No more mercury bulb - replaced with ZooMed 100W basking bulb (got a 2 pack so I have a backup).

• Swapped out the piece that got him "too close" to the lights with a large flat rock to bask on. I think I honestly like this better, as it doesn't give many places for a stray cricket to hide.

• Already had the digital thermo/hygrometers, and infrared heat gun.

• Checked a couple places today while I was out for a T5 fixture & 10.0 bulbs,,, No such luck (all T8's everywhere). I'll see about getting something shipped - might take a little longer, but I'm not too worried, since he's not without... just need to replace with "better". Keep in mind, my location... Amazon Canada (.ca) doesn't have all the same 'stuff' as .com (US) for example - I have to work with, and do the best with what I have.
I'm going to keep a closer eye on temps since changing the couple things out (bulb/basking spot/etc), since I don't know if/how it might change and if I need to move the lamp higher...
Are those pebbles on the side of the enclosure? They need to go, another posters beardie ate a pebble of similar size(he pooped it out) , you can put in the enclosure some “river stones” they’re nice and smooth and are about 3-4inches in diameter,

MooNBeaR

Bearded Dragon Egg
Are those pebbles on the side of the enclosure? They need to go, another posters beardie ate a pebble of similar size(he pooped it out) , you can put in the enclosure some “river stones” they’re nice and smooth and are about 3-4inches in diameter,
At some point, this should be a bulletproof setup, haha... Thanks for the heads-up. I'll find something bigger. The idea was to just fill the gap left by the base size being ever-so-slightly short - one less spot for crickets. But yes, I'd hate to have him ingest one of those.

Thanks as always!

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
At some point, this should be a bulletproof setup, haha... Thanks for the heads-up. I'll find something bigger. The idea was to just fill the gap left by the base size being ever-so-slightly short - one less spot for crickets. But yes, I'd hate to have him ingest one of those.

Thanks as always!
Everyone has their opinion on what’s bulletproof and what not, I thought your enclosure was fine before, but i can see how a couple things needed to be changed, ive gone through 3-5 major remodels myself, sometimes things don’t work out how u planed , i think you’re past the “he NEEDS this, that, n the other thing” phase, as long as they have good lighting and calcium, and a loving home they’ll be happy :)