• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Found bearded dragon

Liz01

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello! I found a bearded dragon running in my back yard. I have never had one before and had to research care, food, etc... I have been taking care of her while we search for her owners. It’s been 10 days and no one has claimed her yet. I have no way of knowing her history, age, etc... she has been very slow and sleeps a lot. She has what appears to be three fractures in her tail. I don’t think she was cared for very well as she does not know how to eat veggies. I have been trying different ones with her daily. She eats crickets and wax worms. I am not sure if she is acting normal. But she sleeps using her tail as a stand. Not always, but half the time . Is that
upload_2018-8-4_18-44-48.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-4_18-44-44.jpeg
    upload_2018-8-4_18-44-44.jpeg
    431.8 KB · Views: 19

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Poor thing! Below my comment are some links to helpful information to care for bearded dragons. First thing, you want to get rid of the red light. Any colored light during the day doesn't allow their pupils to constrict and over time will burn her retinas. At night colored lights of any color, even black, will distrupt their sleep cycle.

You want to look for the nearest exotic vet and take her in for a check up. She is severely dehydrated so go easy on feeding her bugs right now. The body takes a lot of energy to process protein so you need to slowly build up her energy. I like to use something called Pangea, it's a complete crested gecko diet that has vitamins and supplements added into it. You can also get something by OxBow called Critical Care that is a complete diet for sick animals. Both of these things you mix with water and feed via a syringe. You could also take a syringe and drip water on the tip of her nose and try to get her to lick it off. Or give her a bowl of water and wiggle your fingers in it and see if she will drink that way.

KrissyLeigh

Juvenile Dragon
Poor baby! If you decide to keep her she will need a bigger tank, but for now focus on hydrating her and feeding her like Patsy said. Also make sure you have a UVB light and your temps are correct - basking area low 90s and 80-85 F on the cool end. Aside from food light and temperature are the most critical thing in determining a beardie's health.

PS - though this is the first I've heard of an escaped beardie, I know people and hear of people all the time who find escaped pet tortoises and other lizards like monitors and tegus. Not that I wish that trauma on any pet reptile, but how come I can never find one?!!! They would fit right in with my zoo!