• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

flea bombing my house

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have a ton of fleas so i need to bomb. How do I go about sealing off the lizard tanks? I can take the dragons out with me for a couple of hours but not the geckos. Will wrapping them in plastic wrap work? Any suggestions would be wonderful as we are getting eaten alive by all these damn fleas.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you wrap it in plastic there will be no ventilation. You do need to get them out of the house too. Do you have a shed or maybe a neighbor's house for a few hours?

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
What if i put them in shoeboxes and take them with me too. Then wrap thier tanks so none of the stuff gets in there. Rocket will have to come tank and all. He's a house gecko and pretty near impossible to catch. I was hoping therer was a way to do it without taking everyone out but I will I'll have to find some boxes. Thanks

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You still will need to completely seal their enclosures so no contaminants get in..
Better yet, remove the enclosures out of the house, to a shed, as was suggested, or other home.

Hope this helps.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I live in the middle of the city so it's impossible for me to remove the vivs from the house someone will steal them. I can take Vixen and Rocket out but not the other 3. We're going to get some carpet poweder and try that first.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have to agree. Flea bombing is serious stuff. Good luck getting rid of the fleas. I had a flea problem once in a house I rented. It took awhile to get them out. The landlord's dog had fleas and the oriental carpet he left behind was infested.

Anyway, I have to agree with everyone. EVERYONE living needs to be out of the house. Do you have a balcony where you could put the vivs? I know you said you'd try the powder first, but that didn't work for me in the past. It has been a number of years, but we had to get an exterminator. The bombs didn't work either.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is most likely going to sound way too easy... but eradicating fleas isn't difficult.. just energy/time consuming.

Step 1: By setting your thermostat at 74*F will prevent the eggs from hatching.

Step 2: using monthly flea meds on your mammals will prevent any new fleas joining in the fun, from outside.

Step 3: vacuum daily, and if you use the bags on the vac, change out bags after every session.

Step 4: light a candle in a shallow bowl of water( or set a light right above said water), at lights out, and the next morning... lookit all those drowned fleas..

Hope this helps.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Janie, just curious. What is the significance of 74? Can it be lower (say 71?) for the eggs not to hatch?

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
We had a flea infestation when my kids were just babies (crawling and putting everything in their mouth stage)
My Dad told me to dust all the carpets and bedding etc with WHITE PEPPER, its harmless to the kids and animals (Not sure about reptiles though) , the worst that can happen is their mouths will burn, but OMG did it work. Fleas were gone within 1 day.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee, the 74 degrees F is the warmest temperature that eggs stop hatching out at... Lower is better, naturally.
Hope this helps.
Monique... I had heard of that treatment... Never knew if it worked though... nice.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
White pepper? WHere would I find that? I keep the ac on during the day but not at night not sure what the temps are but will monitor it now. I have a bunch of tea light candles so I will try this trick. They are at thier worst first thing in the morning. I don't have any more mammles. My younger cat got pregnant and miscarried the kittens, she passed a day or so later. My older cat just passed of old age. Thanks for the tips maybe I can avoid bombing if these tricks work.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Monique... I had heard of that treatment... Never knew if it worked though... nice.

Worked for me . . . Just 1 serious side affect . . . . SNEEZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I got hayfever LOL) And more sneezing

White pepper? WHere would I find that?

Guessing your local grocer ???

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Corrine
Wrap your glass enclosures in saran wrap (after you pack the geckos in the little sterilite shoe boxes and take Rocket with you). Use duct tape or mailing tape to secure that plastic and make sure there is plenty of overage on the sides and ends. Tape it well.

When you're finished bombing, wash down the outside of the enclosures before you take the plastic off. The remove the plastic wrap from back to front so that any contaminated dust falls forward away from your tanks.

done.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I love the white pepper idea, never heard of it but love natural things better then chemical. I will keep this in mind if we ever get fleas. We flea drop the dogs since they are the ones that go outside and have not had a problem since we have been using them.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Corrine, McCormick makes a white pepper. It's with the other spices.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
White pepper sounds kewl. But isn't that a little expensive? How much would it take for the average carpeted house, assuming the kitchen and bathrooms are solid flooring.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We're going to find out. I will try the pepper before the bombs. I prefer natural to chemicals, it usually works better. I will also be placing water bowls with candles as well. I will have to look for the pepper the next time I'm out.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have found that if you do get a flea problem in the house if you just flea drop all cats and dogs it get rid of them. Also add a little bit of dish soap to the water. It makes them sink like rocks so they cant swim to the side and get out.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
IDK how much it will take for a full house. We only had carpets in the TV and dining rooms and I used 1 tin (Think it was something like 250 or 500 gramms). Just sprinkled it over the carpet and rubbed it in a little with my feet. Got to do the 2 rooms in the morning and evening again. So If you get the tins guess for a 3 bedroom house about 2-3 tins. If you get the bottle type spices (We get robertsons here) it may be a bit more....

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
staylor said:
I have found that if you do get a flea problem in the house if you just flea drop all cats and dogs it get rid of them. Also add a little bit of dish soap to the water. It makes them sink like rocks so they cant swim to the side and get out.

I don't have any furrys at the moment, just the lizards. They seem to be getting worse. I think that when they brought in topsoil for the lot next door to me that it was full of fleas. They are coming in from outside. I placed water and canldles out las night and killed quite a bit. I replaced all of the candles this morning and have them burning now. Hopefully this will work to get rid of them sooner or later.