• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fixing to buy first beardie

camdale

Bearded Dragon Egg
My son and I are fixing to buy our first beardie and have some questions. We have a 40 gallon tank would a ceramic heater with a thermostat be best

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My son and I are fixing to buy our first beardie and have some questions. We have a 40 gallon tank would a ceramic heater with a thermostat be best
This is what you need to keep the dragon healthy ---
A long tube fixture for a UVB -- I can post links to good ones NO COILS!
A solid clear bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 for a dragon under 6 months old -95-100 for over 6 months old --- examples of basking bulbs are Flukers Exo Terra Intense or Arcadia Halogen -- NO daytime bulbs NO off white or yellowish bulbs NO colored bulbs
In order to get the temps you want 2 digital probe thermometers -- Zoo Med makes them and can be found at Pet Smart or Petco --- you can order them on line if you need to order the UVB---
Ceramic heat emitters are for night time temps falling below 65 -- or adding supplemental heat to get temps up but NOT for basking --- they have no UVA of which the basking bulb provides --
Please no loose substrate for a baby -- he will eat it and become impacted -- you can get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from Walmart or your local home improvement store -- try to get some thing w/ no grooves in it best for easier cleaning -- vinegar/ water 50-50 - wipe down w/ a clean wet cloth --
please ask questions I can help you as best as I can -- another thing DO NOT listen to pet store people they dont know a thing about dragons and often give bad advice on them

Latest posts