• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Charkin

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I am relatively new to owning a bearded dragon. I am looking at new enclosures for him and I was wondering if it was safe for me to use old fish tanks. I have heard that animals can catch diseases from other animals by being put in a cage that still has the previous animal's bacteria in it. But, I am scared to put him in something I used bleach in. Would it be safe to buy an old used fish tank? What should I clean it with?

jam5971

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
As long as it’s large enough why not I can’t see a problem. Just make sure you disinfect it with a reptile safe disinfectant prior to use.

May not hold the heat as well as a wooden viv though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Get a hand held steam cleaner, it kills everything and you are just using distilled water so there are no chemicals.

jam5971

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Get a hand held steam cleaner, it kills everything and you are just using distilled water so there are no chemicals.

Good thinking I actually did that with some of my secondhand items!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just remember reptile such as dragons have different needs as far as floor space. So fish tanks are taller and more narrow and dragons need more floor space to turn around.

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
If you are serious about the keeping and care and thinking long term, it's best to get something designed for them.
Glass/fish tank enclosures are not meant for these guys.....Can it work, sure.
But the options designed FOR lizards is so much better