• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First time owner for beardies and concerned about older female beardie's neck/body thickness

Anne Dey

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys, this is Pancake, who, in the very least, is nine years old. Before I rescued her, she was a free roamer in a home with other larger reptiles, and no lights/supplements, and after that she was cohabitated with a juvenile male in a single 40 gal tank, wherein they fought, and she was constantly stressed out. In my care, she has her own 40 gal, a quiet little sactum away from the noise and stressors of our household in my hubby's study, and she enjoys a basking area of a toasty 115°, and heat gradient to the cooler end, which I keep at 70° since I noticed she was uncomfortable with anything higher than that within the year I've had her.

I give her a diet of mostly salad greens, dusted with multivitamins and calcium. (The brand is herptivite). I give her the occasional set of medium sized live dubias, so that she doesn't feel left out-- but it does give her the runs if she has too many. I also give her a couple rehydrated sun-dried silk worm pupae to keep her regular. Her stools are typical- brown, sometimes dark green, firm, with stark white urates. She poops once a week, sometimes twice if she has too much protein. She's not...the most social, and doesn't enjoy being handled much.

I can't help but feel paranoid that there's something wrong with her. She's really thick, especially compared to our three year old male, and she has saddlebags practically hanging from her jowls-- only, I notice sometimes they seem bigger and other times they don't. Could it be body language? She's active, observant, and subdued, and hates being observed while eating and drinking.

I hope I'm just being overbearing and paranoid. Pics included. (Don't judge the paper towels, I was washing her reptile carpet at the time) ((the last pic is a comparison of her and our younger male))
GP803v1.jpg
LDUYrZT.jpg
SP4PTL2.jpg
vgG9XWz.jpg
QRMnOjk.jpg