• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Baby Beardie

dappledawnfarm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all I just found your site when I was browsing the internet looking for bearded dragon tips. I had a Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula named Fluffy who recently passed away after 18 years. You'd be surprised how attached you can get to an insect after 18 years. After about a month I felt the need to fill the void in my heart and after a lot of research I decided to get a bearded dragon. I teach High School astronomy and asked my students to help name my baby beardie and they came up with the name Luna which I loved. Luna is just the cutest thing ever!
20230521_151230.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi all I just found your site when I was browsing the internet looking for bearded dragon tips. I had a Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula named Fluffy who recently passed away after 18 years. You'd be surprised how attached you can get to an insect after 18 years. After about a month I felt the need to fill the void in my heart and after a lot of research I decided to get a bearded dragon. I teach High School astronomy and asked my students to help name my baby beardie and they came up with the name Luna which I loved. Luna is just the cutest thing ever!View attachment 33935
Welcome to the forum---- please keep Luna at home --- correct surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer are the most accurate - 105-110 - NO coils for a UVB ---- they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues -- you want a long tube fixture --- there are 3 recommended here -- if you need more help please ask

dappledawnfarm

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum---- please keep Luna at home --- correct surface basking temps taken w/ a digital probe thermometer are the most accurate - 105-110 - NO coils for a UVB ---- they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues -- you want a long tube fixture --- there are 3 recommended here -- if you need more help please ask
Yes Luna is definitely at home and I do have the items that you recommended. As a science teacher I did a lot of research before getting a dragon and I think I'm on track. One thing though, Luna loves crickets but I cannot get her/he to eat much in the way of vegetables I've tried a lot of different vegetables a little piece of pear a little piece of banana nothing seems to strike her fancy yet. Any suggestions on how to get them eating more greens? She's just 2 months old so I'm just happy she's eating at this point but I know the importance of greens. Thank you so much for the welcome

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes Luna is definitely at home and I do have the items that you recommended. As a science teacher I did a lot of research before getting a dragon and I think I'm on track. One thing though, Luna loves crickets but I cannot get her/he to eat much in the way of vegetables I've tried a lot of different vegetables a little piece of pear a little piece of banana nothing seems to strike her fancy yet. Any suggestions on how to get them eating more greens? She's just 2 months old so I'm just happy she's eating at this point but I know the importance of greens. Thank you so much for the welcome
What brand and bulb are you using for the UVB and where is it in the tank? top of screen or inside? Please get her some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com these are great salad lures to the bowl --- drop them in front of her in the bowl to get her attention - they are a great staple feeder so feed as many as you want -- please dust the crickets only not the BSFL they are calcium enriched -- crickets once per feeding w/ calcium D3 5 x per week - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding lightly coated --
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
ignore the kale info it is outdated and a great staple feeder

dappledawnfarm

Bearded Dragon Egg
What brand and bulb are you using for the UVB and where is it in the tank? top of screen or inside? Please get her some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com these are great salad lures to the bowl --- drop them in front of her in the bowl to get her attention - they are a great staple feeder so feed as many as you want -- please dust the crickets only not the BSFL they are calcium enriched -- crickets once per feeding w/ calcium D3 5 x per week - vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding lightly coated --
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
ignore the kale info it is outdated and a great staple feeder
Great website I wasn't aware you could buy insects by mail I'll definitely use that. What size of the bsfl larva should I get small medium or large?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great website I wasn't aware you could buy insects by mail I'll definitely use that. What size of the bsfl larva should I get small medium or large?
Depends on how big she is - you don't want to feed an insect bigger than the space between the eyes- I would go w/ medium for now-- they are a small larvae- I recommend switching over to dubia roaches- they are more filling- and better nutrition wise- I can post more info tomorrow for them if you like

Sam-E

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Dubiaroaches.com is also a great site I use to order my insects. Iae heard you can grind up some insects and use that to flavor-coat greens to make them a little more appealing. I never tried it since my boy loves his greens. Good luck, and Luna is gorgeous!

Latest posts