• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female Head Bobbing Agressively

Karly

Bearded Dragon Egg
hi everyone,

I’m new to this forum, I have a year and half female beardie and boy does she have a personality lol. I’ve never heard of females head bobbing I thought it was only the males that did this. She’s never met another beardie before but I I walk past a mirror with her on my shoulder for literally a split second her beard goes sooo black and head bobs so fast. When I put her back in her tank she will continue head bobbing for like half an hour.

I even take precautions cause I don’t want to stress her out so when I bring her into my room I take down my mirror so she won’t see it. And the she ends up seeing the glare in my laptop and goes nuts again!!!! Even when I take out all mirrored things in the room it’s like she remembered “there was a beardie in this room before” and starts head bobbing and turning black even if she hasn’t seen her reflection.

Idk if she’s just very territorial or what it is. But I wondered if anyone else had this experience with their female? Never has she waved before either, only head bobbing. She must think she’s real tough hahah.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum!! Don't take this wrong but are you sure you have a female lol I've not heard of a female going to that extreme displaying..I mean females will get black and will bob but that's one bad arse girl you got there lol

Karly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes I’m sure she’s a female!! I got her from a reputable breeder who sexed her. That’s why I find it so strange hahaha

Karly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well... surprise. After having her for a year and a half. I never bothered to sex her cause I was told she was a female from someone who’s been breeding beardies for years. Well I YouTubed a video on how to sex them..... yup she is now a he. It all makes sense now. Damn I thought I had a bad ass female hahaha.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lol I was thinking she was a he...lol no worries it's happened before to others.. shame on the breeder for not knowing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Congrats on your boy! I was going to say that breeders don't always get the sex right.

Karly

Bearded Dragon Egg
So when you find out your beardie is a different sex than you thought.. do you keep their name? I love my girls name, Zola and I just can’t imagine changing her name now. I kinda wish I never found out now lol

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most keep the name

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
So when you find out your beardie is a different sex than you thought.. do you keep their name? I love my girls name, Zola and I just can’t imagine changing her name now. I kinda wish I never found out now lol

I kept all my names! They just fit their personality boy or girl.