• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding twice a day?

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
So I just read that Jayne is supposed to be fed insects three times a day. She's approximately 3 months old. I have been feeding her insects twice a day (with salad available all throughout the day), and she has been growing well. She's grown more than an inch in length in the last two weeks, and she has more than doubled her weight in the last month! She added 9 grams in the last 4 days alone, from 29g to 38g. I tried feeding her three times today, and she actually ate fewer worms than normal, not more. Should I keep trying to feed three times a day, or should I stick with what we've been doing? (She usually eats 25-30 at breakfast and 30-35 at dinner. Today she did her typical breakfast, but only around 9 at lunch, and maybe 5 at dinner.)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
You're good. 3 times a day is ideal if you can do it and she wants to eat but as long as you are doing it 2x a day she's fine. Just make sure that the last meal is 2 hours before her lights go out so she has time to digest.

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
Thank you! I've tried again feeding her three times a day, and it's hit-or-miss the past few days. Some of that may be because her back and head are getting ready to shed, so she's not eating quite as much as normal, anyway. I offered her her first ever hornworm, and she gobbled that up really quickly! It was so cute, and she was literally licking her chops.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Hornworms are like crack! Mine always ate bugs 3x a day. I'm so glad that they were all babies at different times because it was like 70 crickets a day. 3 babies at 70 crickets a day, no thank you!!!! As they got older though, they stopped wanting the third meal and then stoped wanting a second meal. Now that they are older they eat every 3 days or so.