• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

feeding snails? (home-bred)

Dwaggie

Bearded Dragon Egg
heya!

i was wondering if bearded dragons can eat small snails
the thing is, i have a group of african land snails (achatina reticulata and achatina allisa) they pop out eggs and live babies every couple weeks.
usually, i collect them, freeze them and throw them in the trash.
i was wondering, if it'd be alright for my (adult) beardie to eat baby snails.
the shells aren't too sturdy yet and since they live in a terrarium (and have, all their lives), so there's no chemicals

it'd be a slightly better use for the eggs (i'd let them hatch, since my beardie doesn't look twice at the eggs :b ) and since i dispose of them, either way, i'd get a meal out of it.

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, I wondered this myself when I got my babies and almost bought some baby land snails. The jury seems to be out on this one, some say its fine, some say it can cause impaction (soft shelled baby snails probably less so). I gave up on the idea in the end because I couldnt find any definitive answers. Some people 'peel' the larger ones, not for me thanks lol
If you do try them, you will need to gut load them and I would say as a treat only, definately not a staple

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I remember reading that it was okay to feed them, as long as the shell is still soft or they are not in the shell(?). I'm really not sure though.

Latest posts