• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding Questions

madchiller85

Hatchling Dragon
Okay, I'm a first time bearded dragon owner. I know this is probably a really dumb question. I've seen numerous videos on how to feed a bearded dragon they all recommend removing the feeders afterward, but is there an easy way to remove feeder insects from the terrarium following a feeding? I just clumsily chase them around with my hand catching a few here and there, but small crickets and small dubia roaches are frustratingly difficult to remove. Also, I know it's recommended to feed them in 15 minute increments, but my beardie is only maybe a month old and is still adapting to his new home and doesn't eat much within that time frame, maybe only two or three crickets. So am I doing it wrong by just letting him continue eating past that?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Okay, I'm a first time bearded dragon owner. I know this is probably a really dumb question. I've seen numerous videos on how to feed a bearded dragon they all recommend removing the feeders afterward, but is there an easy way to remove feeder insects from the terrarium following a feeding? I just clumsily chase them around with my hand catching a few here and there, but small crickets and small dubia roaches are frustratingly difficult to remove. Also, I know it's recommended to feed them in 15 minute increments, but my beardie is only maybe a month old and is still adapting to his new home and doesn't eat much within that time frame, maybe only two or three crickets. So am I doing it wrong by just letting him continue eating past that?
Ok so w/ the dubias and crickets escaping get yourself one of these bowls they work well when the insects are small - https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Next get some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com order medium these are small and they are a great staple for babies and a great compliment to dubia roaches - DO NOT dust them --- dust only the roaches w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding - calcium w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding - you need to start the baby on salads he may not eat alot of it but you want him eating some - his main diet is the insects but you need him started on salads now
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -
Feed first thing in the morning get his lights on a hour before you leave and feed him when you leave add as many BSFL as you want on top of his salads and you can add the dubias in there too - I would leave around 8-10 roaches in the bowl - he should be offered a second feeding at some point in the day --- insects only - drop 8-10 in the bowl for a second feeding and see how many he eats - if he eats them all add a few more at a time - this is going to fix the issue w/ the insects being left in the tank - if your using crickets disable them -- take a leg off or two so they cant jump out of the bowl -- I would order some dubias from here www.dubiaroaches.com order like 200 or so at a time get yourself a 10 gallon tote or aquarium and dubia food w/ some water crystals and feed them at nite for good gut loading before morning feeding - roaches eat at nite - you can feed them stuff like squash and fruit - just remember what your feeding the roaches your feeding your dragon - so you want good food I have found they dont like greens much so squash and carrots they like along w/ grapes strawberries etc.----------- just remember to NOT feed less than 2 hours before lights off -----
Make sure you have correct basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and a good UVB --- NO COILS for a UVB-you need a long tube fixture for a UVB NO Zillas and NO Thrive brand - if you need help please ask ---- those temps and UVB are going to control his behavior and his over all health so make sure those are correct --- he wont eat w/ out it being correct - he will go thru relocation stress so his eating will be off --- he needs time to acclimate to his tank and get used to his surroundings

madchiller85

Hatchling Dragon
Ok so w/ the dubias and crickets escaping get yourself one of these bowls they work well when the insects are small - https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Next get some BSFL www.symtonbsf.com order medium these are small and they are a great staple for babies and a great compliment to dubia roaches - DO NOT dust them --- dust only the roaches w/ calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding - calcium w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding - you need to start the baby on salads he may not eat alot of it but you want him eating some - his main diet is the insects but you need him started on salads now
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder -
Feed first thing in the morning get his lights on a hour before you leave and feed him when you leave add as many BSFL as you want on top of his salads and you can add the dubias in there too - I would leave around 8-10 roaches in the bowl - he should be offered a second feeding at some point in the day --- insects only - drop 8-10 in the bowl for a second feeding and see how many he eats - if he eats them all add a few more at a time - this is going to fix the issue w/ the insects being left in the tank - if your using crickets disable them -- take a leg off or two so they cant jump out of the bowl -- I would order some dubias from here www.dubiaroaches.com order like 200 or so at a time get yourself a 10 gallon tote or aquarium and dubia food w/ some water crystals and feed them at nite for good gut loading before morning feeding - roaches eat at nite - you can feed them stuff like squash and fruit - just remember what your feeding the roaches your feeding your dragon - so you want good food I have found they dont like greens much so squash and carrots they like along w/ grapes strawberries etc.----------- just remember to NOT feed less than 2 hours before lights off -----
Make sure you have correct basking temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and a good UVB --- NO COILS for a UVB-you need a long tube fixture for a UVB NO Zillas and NO Thrive brand - if you need help please ask ---- those temps and UVB are going to control his behavior and his over all health so make sure those are correct --- he wont eat w/ out it being correct - he will go thru relocation stress so his eating will be off --- he needs time to acclimate to his tank and get used to his surroundings
That's a lot of good information. I just ordered some dubia roaches and some of those ceramic bowls. I ordered some of the BSFL as well, there's a lot of different brand names out there for them, it was a bit confusing. I also have decided to replace my mercury vapor bulb with an arcadia 12% and a 100w basking bulb for my 40 gallon breeder. So hopefully I can get the little guy a little bit more comfortable. Anyway, thank you for the response.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's a lot of good information. I just ordered some dubia roaches and some of those ceramic bowls. I ordered some of the BSFL as well, there's a lot of different brand names out there for them, it was a bit confusing. I also have decided to replace my mercury vapor bulb with an arcadia 12% and a 100w basking bulb for my 40 gallon breeder. So hopefully I can get the little guy a little bit more comfortable. Anyway, thank you for the response.
When you get the UVB let me know so I can help you get it placed- they require certain placement and distance make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get the temp

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I hand feed , id recommend you get a anti escape food dish, and i leave about 40 minutes after my beardys lights come on, you can change urs wake up time, just take away an hour at the end of the day.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I've always just stuck with tongs, and I have one specific bowl that the feeders cannot climb out of too. I absolutely will not touch any insects except superworms with my bare hands, it gives me the creepy crawlies!