• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

feeding questions

syzygy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've seen several sources stating that baby / juvi dragons should eat 2 to 3 times per day as much as they can in 10 minutes. Does it matter whether one is feeding in a container versus their having to hunt them down? As you can imagine, they can certainly eat more if they are hunting "fish in a barrel". Just want to make sure I'm not overfeeding my new 6 weeks old baby. She just ate 44 red runner roaches that are 1/2 to 3/4 of the maximum size (based on the eye spacing method). She likely would have eaten more, but i wanted to check here before going crazy. She also ate most of her mixed green salad offered today. I know these roaches aren't as common here...they are more like a common house roach in body proportion so not nearly as plump as a dubia, but more so than a cricket.

Also, i was curious about squash. To cook or not to cook....that is the question.

Thanks all!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've seen several sources stating that baby / juvi dragons should eat 2 to 3 times per day as much as they can in 10 minutes. Does it matter whether one is feeding in a container versus their having to hunt them down? As you can imagine, they can certainly eat more if they are hunting "fish in a barrel". Just want to make sure I'm not overfeeding my new 6 weeks old baby. She just ate 44 red runner roaches that are 1/2 to 3/4 of the maximum size (based on the eye spacing method). She likely would have eaten more, but i wanted to check here before going crazy. She also ate most of her mixed green salad offered today. I know these roaches aren't as common here...they are more like a common house roach in body proportion so not nearly as plump as a dubia, but more so than a cricket.

Also, i was curious about squash. To cook or not to cook....that is the question.

Thanks all!
I think it is perfectly fine and a good idea to let them hunt for their food it keeps them active as well and keeps their weight in check. And red runners are just that fast little buggers!!! My male Simon awhile ago stopped eating from his bowl I was thinking he was slowing down but turns out he wanted to chase them lol I had him out to run around and thought hmm I'll see if he'll eat I threw a dubia in front of him and the bug ran off and he excitedly ran after and gobbled it right up.
I wouldn't worry too much about over feeding at this point BUT it is important to make sure she gets exercise and when she's older you decrease feedings to 2x a day.. Keeping the greens in all day..

Squash doesn't need to be cooked I cut mine up or shred it up